What are your top favorite bands?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yup, I think ABBA is the best thing to come from Sweden, but them being a Swede, I might be a tad prejudiced.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Never been there, but I would love to go.

Funny how Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson seem to span through numerous generations.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Old guys like me & some of you young pups like them.

Bearcarver

tryin to bring an ole thread back to life,,,,, id have to say duane allman and warren haynes ,,,love the slide johnny winter included,,,,,emerson lake and palmer,,,,,,johnny cash,,,,,frank zappa

Just showing my age here.

1) Van Halen

2) Triumph

3) Chicago

4) Journey

5) Little River Band

Chris

1.  The Beatles

2.  Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (No love for them!?!?!)

3.  Queen
1. Beatles...of course
I can't believe it took that long to finally bring up the greatest of all time.
I have almost 2000 songs on my iPod - I am a serious Parrot head and Black Eyed Peas fan - everything else is the 60's but I also love Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood
What a whack job I am
About as eclectic a list as I've ever seen.  Buffet AND Black Eyed Peas?  Whack job is right ;).

Last edited:
Old school...

1. Eagles

2. Beatles

3. Boston

4. Pink Floyd

5. Willie and Waylon

Honorable Mention: Stones, Led Zepplin, Journey, Foreigner, Styx

Red

so many to chose from but right now the Black Keys.

over the long haul.

genesis + solo of Pter and Phil

Nine inch Nails

CCR

jethro tull

Melissa Etheridge

AC/DC

Buddy guy

Mine are:

1) Bonnie Raitt

2) Journey

3) YES

4) ZZ Top

5) ACDC

6)Rascal Flatts

and I need to stop.....could fill the page.

Kat

i grew up in the 80's and i like th Big Hair bands

#1 MOTLEY CRUE 
first.gif

#2 VANHALEN both dave and the red rocker

#3 RATT

#4 AC/DC

#4 WASP

of course others but that would take to long !!

I probably have more classical CDs and LPs in my collection than anything else, but that's still likely to be only about 15% of the total because I love a LOT of different music.

It was interesting reading through what everyone posted because I was nodding my head, saying "YES" to a whole lot of it.

Frank Zappa was an exceptional genius, not only in composition, but also at playing and maybe most of all, choosing great people to be in his band over the years!  The absolute best concert I've ever seen was Zappa and his band of the time, in the mid '70s in Denver.  The venue should have had horrible acoustics (basketball arena), but they got the sound to be amazingly good.  And they didn't play so loud that you needed hearing protection. It just sounded clear and pleasant.  Also, they never stopped playing - I mean there wasn't one single point where the music stopped - for the full 2 1/2 hours.

It's awesome to see and hear real musicians actually playing incredibly complex music, live, with precision, accuracy, feeling, and just plain fun like that. What a blast. Pretty hard not to smile just remembering it.

Another memorable concert was James Taylor in my relatively small town not too long ago.  He really responded to the fans and they responded to him, and the concert brought tears to the eyes.  The same could be said of Elton John, who, again, was touched by the crowd and touched the crowd as well.  Outstanding performers in my opinion.

Here's the list I made just by poaching people that others mentioned earlier in the thread and adding my own:

Frank Zappa
James Taylor
Elton John
Pink Floyd
Van Halen
Carlos Santana
Buddy Rich
Rolling Stones
Chicago
Led Zepplin
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eric Clapton
Styx
ELO
The Beatles
Jethro Tull
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Jimmy Cliff
Talking Heads
Allman Brothers
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Tina Turner
Lyle Lovett
Asleep at the Wheel
Riders in the Sky
Queen
ZZ Top
Tom Petty
Warren Zevon
Harry Nilsson
The Cars
The Grateful Dead
The Eagles
The Who
Boston
Genesis
Bonnie Raitt
Flat and Skruggs

Elvis Costello
John Hartford
David Grisman
David Bromberg
The Berlin Philharmonic
Maurice Andre (the world's best trumpet player. RIP)

Pops 6927 mentioned: Big bands... Miller, Dorsey, etc.
Marching bands and competitions.

Don't forget Count Basie, and of course anything by John Philps Sousa!

slimbo mentioned Emerson Lake and Palmer and Zappa.  RIght on!

Any Jazz
Any Bluegrass
Any "classic Rock"
Any Classical
Any Big Band
Any Ragtime

Stuff by Ennio Morricone (Gotta love the music for the Spaghetti Westerns, right?)

or Jerry Goldsmith (remember the music for the movie "Patton"? - incredible).

Geeze.  I know I'm forgetting LOTs of stuff I love.  Oh well.

zappa was the first show i ever went to 75 or 76 ,,,, after seeing and hearing the show i went to atleast ten more of his shows,,,,,i do have to throw in 1 of the first punkers for their show ,,,,the outrageous tubes,,,,,,  herb albert  boots randolph

C'mon sigmo!

I'm dissappointed in ya'll!!

"There are only two kinds of people in this world...those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't!"

bonus points to the poster who recognises that quote :D

also, Styx, Gordon Lightfoot...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky