wet ashes & rust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rober49

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 29, 2015
went to look at a used horizon smoker yesterday. I took my welding chipping hammer along & i'm glad I did. the firebox was full of really wet ashes. I removed what was left of the grate which was buried in the ashes, moved some ashes aside & gave the bottom a few raps with the pointed end of the chipping hammer. on the third hit the point came out the bottom of the firebox. this smoker is 7 years old, is always outdoors & has never been covered. if seasoned & kept oiled/painted that would not be a big deal. the important thing though is that he rarely completely cleaned out the ashes. wet ashes=rust. many an old wood stove met with similar fates. any of y'all who are new to burning wood or charcoal keep this in mind. you might just save your cookers.

this horizon smoker is salvageable. a piece of plate, some blacksmithing, & welding & it will be good to go.

& anyone in the st louis area i'm still looking to trade.
this Ok Joe is really bigger than what I need but I could not pass it up. If anyone in the st louis area has an original Ok Joe Highland ( or a smaller Yoder or Horizon or comparable ) & would be interested in a trade contact me.

If the ashes are white oak, that's what my grandmother used to make lye soap. Lye and metal don't mix at all. You're asking for FB failure.

that's my point. makes for an extremely corrosive mixture

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky