Went Electric

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bowvalley

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Nebraska
I just made the move to electric. Have 3 kids under 5 and spent too much time burning or not getting smoke while running in the house to stop a disaster.
biggrin.gif
Went and got a Masterbuilt and have one round of jerky through it. Have some deer summer sausage on the racks right now. We'll see how it goes. Will be spending a lot of time learning in the electric section now. Going 120 for 3 hours and upping to 160 here in another hour. I welcome any suggestions on how to do summer sausage with the M.B. I'm off to do some searching and learning.

congrats on the new smoker, I don't have the MB but I burn 2 electrics and I enjoy the less hassle .

Congrats on the new smoker and I hope it takes care of your needs with all them kids it will be easier for you.

Congrats and welcome to the forum. You are going to enjoy the addiction

biggrin.gif
sounds to me like you need to get rid of the electiric and get something that takes more time so you spend less time makin the kids and more time cookin meat

I agree. Though I wouldn't trade them for anything I can also remember how easy life was when it was just the 2 of us.

very true they are the best thing going, my daughter is a senior in college and my boy is a junior in high school, i get depressed realizing he is gone off in a year and a half, then its just me the wife and my dog left enjoy em while they are young

Bow,
It sounds like you already know what you're doing. Thats the temps I used for doing my deer summer sausage on my MES. Make sure you have something in your bowl to keep your temp stabil. I've used water in the past, but a wile back someone suggested sand. I got a bag od playsand from the local super store. Deer season begins in a couple of weeks up here. Hopefully I'll have something soon to try making more sausage with!

Bike

Really, sand? That is interesting. I have never heard that before. Going to have to go check the temp here. I want internal temp of 165 right? Does anyone crank it up at the end and toss the sausage in ice water? In the past I went right to the fridge, but after searching threads that might not be the right way to go.

I do the ice water bath till internals are 110' if I remember.

When you get the joy of having your oldest of 9 grandkids living with you to go to college you will realize how lucky you are

All 5 of mine have left the nest. I really enjoyed them when they were young. It was great, right about up to the time the figured out how to roll over. It was all downhill after that...

Internal temp to 152 and it's done! Cold water shower or bath for 5-10 minutes, then hang to dry & bloom for a few hours then into the cooler for an overnight stay.......

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky