Well, now I have stepped in to it deep

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
Central Minnesota
Yes, as the title suggests, I have taken on a project that I need some help with. I have never smoked a brisket and I have offered to do on for my family for the 23rd of July. I am going to get my brisket from Sam's Club or Walmart and am looking for some suggestions on methods to turn out a good cook. I have my choice of pellet smoker, barrel smoker. Weber Kettle, or OKJ offset. I am thinking of using the foil boat method instead of a full wrap . So, maybe some of you folks out there can give me some guidance. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Reactions: JLeonard
C'mon man! You've got this! I've seen enough of your posts to know you already know how to do something like a brisky!
Any of your smoker options you listed will turn out some great slices. I think it will depend on what your personal preference is and what your commitment level you want to dedicate to babysit and tend your smoker for ~12+ hours. For me its more about timing starting early and leaving plenty of time for it to rest while I can spend time (well rested) with my family or guests. Throw on some ABT, pig shots, or sausages or such for some quick apps and finger food directly off the smoker/grill is always a hit. So I say, use more than one of your smokers diversify a bit.

If you have the chance you can go to YouTube and look up Aaron Franklin Brisket - there are 3 videos that cover trimming, smoking and slicing - Sometimes it's easier to see these things than read about them.

I only asked because I am told that a brisket is not as easy as other cooks such as pork butt or ribs or chicken. Maybe I am over thinking it.

I only asked because I am told that a brisket is not as easy as other cooks such as pork butt or ribs or chicken. Maybe I am over thinking it.

Some of the pressure is the elevated cost of a brisket to begin with, some of it is the extra time that it takes .. but I feel like if you plan ahead, take your time, do your research and bring it to the proper IT/probe tender and slice it the correct way you will be golden!

Can't believe that with all those cookers you haven't done a brisket!
I like the Aaron Franklin method with an offset, but you're already ahead of me because I don't know about
the "foil boat method"....

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Just don’t overthink it.
S&P rub, beef broth injection & let it go to 195 & start probing it all over until it’s tender like room temp butter. You can wrap it at the stall with some broth & finish it in the oven if you choose. Or you can do it hot and fast at 270-280. Chili goes to 350 I think. There are so many brisket threads on here, just use the search button & type in “Brisket”.
Al

I'd say to start with, just make sure to get a good quality brisket! As others have said... use whichever smoker you feel comfortable with and allow plenty of time to finish and rest.
I have no doubts... you have this! If I can do it I know you can!

Ryan

In my cookers "hot and fast" is 350 and it works like a charm, great bark, great flavor, moist and tender slices and WAY less time tending the gear.

Yep, you got this. What you should really be worried about is taking enough pics. :emoji_grinning:

kruizer kruizer , after all this time on the forum, and your own cooking experience, I would say follow your gut and you will make a prize brisket. Just make sure you pick out a right handed brisket! Lol

Reactions: GATOR240

There are some key things.

Brisket is only done when it is tender, never by time or temp. It is tender when you can stab ALL OVER with a kabob skewer or something similar and it goes in like butter ALL OVER.
Put your temp probe in the thickest yet centermost part of the FLAT muscle, not the point or anywhere in between.

Check for tenderness of an IT around 198F and if not tender all over come back and check every 2F degree rise until tender ALL OVER.

The thin portion of the FLAT muscle is best trimmed in an oval shape removing the thin meat leaving behind meat that is just about uniform in thickness with the thicker parts of the flat. Repurpose that good flat meat by smoking it and pulling it early or saving it for some other beef dish like stew or for grind.

In a steady 275F smoker, running unwrapped the entire time, and not opening the smoker until temp probe tells you, expect it to cook at about 1hr 10min per pound. Add 4 hours to that time and you will finish on time to eat. So a 10 pound brisket you start like 15.5 hours before you plan to eat. If it comes off 4hrs early then tightly double wrap in foil and then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter. 4 hours later it will be steaming hot ready to slice and serve.

Season with anything as simple as just Salt and Pepper. I prefer SPOG.
Mesquite cannot be beat but go with what you have for wood just use Oak strength and stronger not fruit woods alone.

That should cover the basics. If you do all this stuff then you won't mess it up. The #1 failure issue is due to under estimating the time it takes to make a brisket. It is done when it tells you it is done so estimate time along with temp accordingly :)

Reactions: kruizer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky