Well, I muffed it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
N. Oakland County, MI
Think I left the salmon in the brine too long. Salty as all get-out. Dammit. Still lightly smoked, any hope of a short soak in water to remove some salt, then hit the smoke for another hour?

Grrrr
mad.gif

Richtee , that's too bad
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif
, sounds like your thought might do the trick ?? maybe if it's still too salty after that , you could use it to make a nice smoked salmon dip of some sort to use during the holiday season ??

I know it's not what you wanted ,but it would keep it from being a total loss and be a nice touch to the season and any party / gathering ... just a thought for ya
PDT_Armataz_01_21.gif

Yeah... it would work for a pate' allrighty. BUT.. I 'membered a trick my Ma used before when she "hit with the salt" on some dishes. She'd slice up a pototo or two and toss 'em in the mix. And it works to, for liquid dishes, like sauces and soup. Nothing to lose, so I dropped 'em in cold water with some sliced potatoes. Gonna hit happy hour and hopefully adjust 'tude, and come back to decent salmon fillets.

If the potato trick doesn't work for fish (it does for sauces, soups and stocks) I would try making some dip or the pate. The additional ingrediants might cut the saltiness enough to make it right. All is not lost. A little creativity and you may decide to over brine again next time ;)

Rich:

Soaking will help, but it is going to require a considerable amount of time. 2-3 hours won't cut it. Overnight probably would. Problem then, is you will have severely altered the texture and you start getting seperation in the fibers. It will end up less salty but of inferior texture. Then too, it will need to be run through the smoker again(modestly) to impart at least some fresh flavor.

This process will restore some quality, but overall you will be less than happy. As you can imagine, anything that has been first moist, then wet, then hot and dry, and then soaked and then hot and dry again, is going to become less than desirable.

My suggestion is that you use it in some dish that allows for considerable dillution, due to it being blended with a fairly large volume of other
ingredients.

Then chalk it up to a learning experience.

Sorry it happened. Let us know what you end up doing and how it worked. Maybe we can all learn something from this. Sorry that it has to be at your expense.

Good luck my friend.

Skip

sorry to hear rich,tis easy to add,hard to take away-Maw used to do the potato thing-hope tis not a total loss

Rich,
long ago I bought some smoked salmon in Alaska, it was really cheap from a local cannery. It tasted great when I sampled it but upon getting the 20 pounds home and trying it again it was way too salty. I tried soaking it too but as Skip mentioned it changed the texture, so what I did was to soak it for a day changing the water a couple of times and then canned it in 1/2 pint jars. 110 minutes at 10 psi. Still not the best but better than it was. If you have a lot of fish you might consider it.
Jimbo

shred the smoked salmon, mix really well with cream cheese and a little fresh dill, a touch of lemon juice

spread on bread or crackers

as for making it less salty, soaking it wont do it much good, after a too much soaking in plain water it will turn to mush

in the east coast of canada, they have salt cod, i believe they soak it in milk but i could be wrong

Salmon patties or spread would be my first attempts. Maybe try making a stuffing for some mushroom caps and smoke them too. Smoked salmon potato pancakes? Salmon and rice stuffed sausage?

In hind sight. I will try to cook a small sample of what ever I brine to test for saltiness before the big commit to the smoker. I have been lucky so far, and I do call it luck

i always taste my brine b4 i put the fish in, if its too salty then the fish will be of course

i usually dry brine mine so i generally dont get too much salt flavor

Well...it's well after happy hour. I sampled the soggy stuff. Not REAL soggy, but as Skip says... onto the smoker AGAIN. at least I discovered it before it was DONE. Salt has been much muted... texture is wet. but STILL firm. Had wife spend another $30 just in case. Grin. We'll see...so far... MIGHT work.
Thanks for the support!

- A Knight in Kneed!

well, back onto the ECB with a crapload of lump for an hour. early retuens on the thin stuff... not bad. less salty, lost some firmness, but as it was not finished, that helped. Brined the new fillet, will wash by midnight...LOL! Honestly, i'm pretty happy with the flavor, but probably lost the texture. Pate' is good too...

When life hands ya lemons... grin!

Again...thanks folks! I love this place!

Rich:

Glad you salvaged it.

Good news is that most of us who do a lot of Salmon, have a trustworthy, reliable recipe. We don't have to taste, or to worry, we just do it. We know we will be happy with the results.

After you experiment and tune your recipe and methods, you'll get there too. Most of us went through this in the beginning.

Knowing you, you will have it wired in no time.

Skip

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky