Well here is my first attempt at a London Broiler in the smoker! (please comment)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

auburnsmoker

Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
Auburn, WA United States
My first London Broil smoke…  
439.gif

The rub: 

2 Cups light brown sugar tightly packed

¾ cup kosher salt

⅓ cup chili powder

2 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 teaspoon thyme

2 teaspoon oregano

2 teaspoon onion powder

I should explain, family doesn’t handle really spicy foods and we even have one relative who can’t have peppers at all.  So the usual cayenne pepper had to be excluded.  Anyway… I applied the rub the night before.  I had a 4 lb. London Broil I just got from the store.  Added a little bit of olive oil to help it stick and applied the rub liberally to the meat.  I then placed it in a Ziploc bag overnight.

The next day I pulled it from the fridge and left it out to remove some of the chill from the fridge. 

My rig is not Pro by any stretch.  I am still working on getting parts for the mods.  It is a Char Griller 3001 with the side fire box. 

I am planning on sealing off the joint where the fire box meets the grill boxy and adding gaskets to the door and Lid. 

Fuel: 

Apple/Mesquite chunks and splits I ordered from a local warehouse.

My goal is to keep the grill at around 225 with a good smoke going,  it can be a be a bit tricky with wood burning, but we will see how it goes….

After about 2 hours, meat hit the IT of 110, time to flip!

Added a water pan as well to keep things a bit moist in the chamber.

Meat is coming along nicely.  Added a couple of smaller Applewood chunks to give a last shot of smoke (meat is registering IT of 135).

439.gif

Hit an IT of 140 so pulled it and gave it a double wrap of foil and got it into the cooler with a towel for a while…  2 hour nap time.  J 

[endif]

I usually cook my meats to a rare\med rare finish, but since my wife was my critic, I ran a bit longer to hit a bit more toward medium…  Here are the first couple of slices from the point end….

[endif]
It ended up pretty tender and moist.  Got the thumbs up from my wife and my kids can’t seem to get enough of it.  I guess that means it turned out pretty good!!! 

If you guys have any thoughts, please share!!!  I am a beginner and just trying some different techniques!

Looks tasty, not sure you need to rest it that long unless you were just holding it for dinner. I'd say you nailed it!Thumbs Up

Looks tasty, not sure you need to rest it that long unless you were just holding it for dinner. I'd say you nailed it!
icon14.gif
I concur! There really is no need to rest more than 15 minutes for thin cuts of meat, unless done before everybody is at the table. Especially eaten Medium or less. A 30 minute Rest is enough for a large Roast or Butt that will be Pulled, if done to the degree desired. Wrapping and Cooler resting continues to Cook the meat from residual heat. A Rare Rib Roast can be Well Done after a hour wrapped in a cooler...

Your meat is more done than my crew like Beef but you sure make it look good!...JJ
icon14.gif

It sure looks good from here too.

I'm the same as JJ, just a little to done for us, but you did a great job with it.

I also moved this thread to "Beef". I think you will get more responses there.

Al

Looks good from here!  And if the wife and kids liked it, that's all that matters!  
icon14.gif

points.gif

I'm in the camp of shorter rests...and I don't rest towel-wrapped meat in an insulated cooler anymore.  Like JJ says, the meat continues to cook.  I like to loosely tent with foil and rest on the counter or in a cool oven, unless I'm holding it for longer periods, in which case I might foil wrap and put in a slightly warmish oven (I'll preheat the oven for just a minute or 2, then shut it down).

My only other comment is about your rub.  Now first, let me say that there is certainly no wrong way to do it...if you try something and like it, that's all the matters.  But since you were asking for feedback...for beef, we prefer savory rubs to sweet.  Your rub had a large amount of brown sugar in it.  This is just my taste, but my beef rubs do not have sugars in them.  Salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder...these are prominent components of most beef rubs.  I really like a mix of sweet and heat in my pork rubs, but for me, leave the sweet out of beef rubs.  Totally a personal preference...if you haven't already, give it a try both ways and see what you like best!  
icon14.gif

Red

Last edited:
Reactions: auburnsmoker
I like mine medium as well. looking good from where I'm sitting.maybe a touch over medium in that pic if your camera is like mine the red shows up more. anyways i wanted to comment more on the rub. for beef i usually leave out the sugar because i like a savory flavor for beef. esp if you are going to use mesquite wood. you may want to try smoking to 125-130 next time and doing a reverse sear on the London broil. Makes it have less roast beef flavor and more steak flavor if that makes any sense. Otherwise great smoke! Points!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron) 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky