Wanting a New Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iowabrad

Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Iowa
Hi guys I new to this community. I've been smoking with a MasterBuilt Electric Smoker & too be honest, I hate ever bit of it. I don't get hardly any smoke flavor, it's like I'm using an over with a drop of do quid smoke.
So I've going to start over and go with a traditional wood burning smoker. I'm trying to stay under $400 and have found a few that my local retailers sale. I'd like to get your options. It's between the Brinkmann Heavy Gauge Off-Set at Home Depot for $299 or the OKa Joes Highland at Walmart for $288.
Just really looking for your options with them. Do I need to upgrade them if so, what to do? Or is there better options out there for the price. Anything would help here. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor. Check out Academy Sports and look at the Old Country line. If you can spring another $100, The Wrangler is a thicker one and gets great reviews. I'm glad you're here and hope you like the site. There are lots of folks who are always ready to share their ideas and tips. Good luck finding a stick burner. Nuthin' better than playing with fire. Joe

I agree with the above post 100%! Really, go check them out and compare them, for the extra $100 you get a LOT more grill!
I have the Trailmaster offset, it's ok, but I've built a convection plate, filled it with lava rock, use a large water pan as well as seal it up really well! I'm still sealing it as the gaps are so wide nothing sticks, I'll eventually just weld it up. Last smoke I was noticing smoke coming out the end seams of the cooking chamber!
I've looked at the ones at Acadamey, much heavier built, built in convection plate, well built, removable, racks, IMO there is no comparison between my TM and those units!! Can't be much more honest than that!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky