Vintage Hobart Slicer Restoration

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
43045ccf_20120708_151529.jpg

Shiny! At this rate I figure I'll be done with this in just a few short years.

That slicer will be looking far better than new when you get done.  You've got a lot more patience than I have.

Lance

Thank you Lance. That's my intention anyway.

When I started this I didn't expect it to eat up so much time. The oxidation is allot deeper and harder to buff out than I imagined.

Still, it will be worth having done once this thing is sitting in the kitchen shining like a new penny.

bab8d4c5_20120715_180955.jpg

The shiny parts pile grows! 

I found a website that has many parts you are looking for.... Here is a link to the sharpener

Here is another link to one on EBAY
Thanks Mike but that's for a model 410, mine is a 411. That's even the same website I bought a few parts from. Judging from the price their asking for that sharpener, I'm glad they don't have the one I need! The one I've got will do for now. At some point down the road I'll probably take a stab making one from scratch based on the picture I found and using parts from this one. Right now I'm sanding primer on a few parts and jonesing to shoot a little color just see how it looks.

This is one heck of a nice restoration, keep up the great work. Can you share your polishing process, the 1612e I got needs it really bad.

Thanks
Mike

This is one heck of a nice restoration, keep up the great work. Can you share your polishing process, the 1612e I got needs it really bad.
Thanks
Mike
No problem. I use a variety of tools and polishing compounds.

This is my bench grinder with a 6" polishing wheel mounted to one side.

Problem with this is the grinder is only a 1/2 horse and too easy to bog down.

I use these smaller ones in my drill. Just depends on what part and how tight the space.

You can get all this stuff a Harbor Freight. This is the two compounds I'm using, they have others for different applications.

The black cuts through fast then the grey gives you a finer polish.

I use this last for that high shine or for spots I can only get a finger tip into.

This is the work horse. Two 8" polishing wheels on an 11" rod in my lathe. I can't bog this puppy down!

But you do need to keep a tight grip on your piece or it can become a projectile without warning.

Here's a quick video I made with a piece of scrap when I got home from work. Sorry for the shakiness, holding my phone with one hand and the steel in the other.

No talking thou, can't stand the sound of my recorded voice. Somewhere between Ray Romano and Lerch from the Adams Family.

Last edited:
I've been in the process of stripping and repainting a couple parts that just didn't come out the way I wanted.

This is one that I felt like I needed to get better. I like how it's looking now.

I got the motor housing painted. I'll give it a couple days to set before I start buffing it out.

Slow going to say the least.

dont mean to hi jack, hello and nice job on the restro.!! been up since 2am and went threw 20 pages of searching for parts for my hobart 410 and need sharpener and handle fix(was welded before)but will have redone! then clicked and your post on this cite popped up next,so its 8 and the coffees on and il be calling old slicer parts.com the other hobart 410 cite also. if u fellas have any info on were i can i'd apprc. nice to meat'cha meat cutter,john

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky