venison sausage Final open shot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ross,

I have spoken with a lot of different Deer hunters in my area and everyone that seems to know anything about cooking says to hang the deer. 

If it is a young deer or doe it should hang for about a week in Temps between 34-38 degrees.  If is is a big Buck then two weeks is the maximum.

I myself haven't tried to hang deer because I didn't have the set up until now.  I will be skinning it, and quartering it and keeping it in a cooler above some ice (make sure it stays dry) and let the water/blood drain out.  Replace the ice as needed to keep the temps low.

Don't freeze the meat right after you shoot it because the Rigor has not left the body yet.  If you ever had tough venison after you got it back from the processor they usually freeze them right away. 

Keep it cool and dry.  Let it age and enjoy it.

Of course you don't do this with the Backstraps because they are more prone to dry out with aging.  I take mine out right away and put them in a ziploc bag and wrap them in butcher paper and put them in the freezer.  Leave them whole and cut them as needed.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and the sausage looks great!  I will be making some here soon.

Havent had much time at the computer lately.... but here is the open shot of the venison sausage. I did the grind with the 4mm plate.....

6db3d4ac_HPIM2108.jpg

8ece5342_HPIM2110.jpg

Thanks for looking

Joe

Oh man that sausage looks great! What kind was it again? I will have to go back and look.
The venison sausage Ross. I used the same seasonings  I sent you in the pkg......... I added the jalapenos and the garlic only.....

Joe

The sausage looks great! But could you elaborate on the spices? I hope you didn't grind up the backstraps, That would be worse than grinding filet minon for burger. I have been told that ageing venison serves little to no purpose, unless it's a really old deer.

Very nice jo

Lets see get in jeep drive I95 N to pick up venison sausage.....LOL

Nice

aging deer meat,

like any meet if it is hung it allows the bacteria loosen up the meat,

hang it in the cooler or garage rapped to keep the  critter/bugs out 50 +- deg. days cool nights,

hang 4 to 5 days.

I first do a complete wash down with real lemon concentrat,

cuts down the negitive acids. cuts the blood and

kills ecoli, that may have affected the meat during cleaning

makes the meet tender also.

place a sheet of plastic down the catch the drippings.  

or it will eat at surface of your concrete floor.

the biggest thing to remember to cut around and take out the glands

and vains/ dispercing tubes leanding to the torsell gland dispercement areas on the legs(dark hairry masses) 

the glans are normally hidden in the thick fat layers in the center portion of the back hams

or on the breast fat on the front side of the front legs.

if you cut Thur one of these you will end up tainting the

rest of your deer as you contiune butchering with the oil on your knife.

so take time around these areas, i usaly just open up the meat and pull these out by hand

with the meat spread out.

7 deer down this year already, wife and i figured over 200 in the last 35 years.

What does real COW taste like anyway?

I guess there is a possiblity that NC allows rimfire deer hunting, but most states require centerfire ammunition only, regardless, the sausage came out looking awesome, what kinda seasonings do you use?

.17 HMR is actually smaller than a pellet or bb, pellets are .177, dont think I would advertise the method of death in this case, fairly certain this was illegal. Sausage looks great tho 

He didn't say it was a .17 HMR.  It could have been a centerfire, a .17 Remington.  A 25 grain bullet moving 4000 fps would be a humane kill.  Not a deer rifle.  But not necessarily illegal or unethical. 

A review of the NC regulations appear to show the only restrictions are for handguns which must be greater that .24 caliber. It appears to be legal to dispatch a wounded big game animal with a .22 rimfire weapon after legal shooting hours as well using a spotlight.

How long did you cook it?
First I let the sausage hang in the smoker  to reach ambient temp for about 2 hrs then I started out at 150 and bumped it up 10 degrees every hr until it reached an IT of 160. Took about 4.5 hrs

The sausage looks great! But could you elaborate on the spices? I hope you didn't grind up the backstraps, That would be worse than grinding filet minon for burger. I have been told that ageing venison serves little to no purpose, unless it's a really old deer.
I"ll send you a pm..... Yeah I did grind up the tenderloins.... The deer are so small here in nc which makes a low yeild of meat. It would'nt be worth making sausage with what I had without the loin. If I hunted I would not shoot unless it was a large animal to harvest for the meat...  The people I know will shoot a small to medium size deer. We'll, at least it keeps the population in check. The problem I have in hanging dear in nc is the temp. it is too warm of a climate during hunting season to do this in my opinion. I have seen it done and you cannot control the flies unless you have a refrigerated cooler

JOE

Yeah, those rounds have a nice charge, not like a .22 cal varmint round.  That round would penetrate the skull and expand inside, making it an instant, humane kill. I approve.   Not sure a .22 lr would penetrate the skull of a deer unless you were pretty close.  'Never tried it myself.  Probably not a good idea unless you're starving in the outback and it's the only gun you have.

Now that you have every sausage maker in the United States drooling uncontrollably with those pictures, how did it taste?  I'm sure there's none left by now.

The sausage was given to the guy who supplied the meat... He said it was awesome........

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky