venison sausage Final open shot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Some how I got roped in to some venison sausage...... A budd'ys buddy brought a deer and I was volunteered to make some sausage.......it was freshly killed a few hrs before. he brought 2 shoulders 2 hinds and 2 backstraps. I deboned and wound up with 15 lbs of meat.. Had some fat leftover in the freezer. So I went to work

loaded up

b98cb9ab_HPIM2095.jpg

added some pork fat in the middle of the grind.....20%

af7a32b1_HPIM2096.jpg

all stuffed up

e1213d05_HPIM2100.jpg

into the cooker...no smoke here... out of dust.....oh well.. its going to someone else....something must be on my lense cause the pics are blurry

647e6d18_HPIM2104.jpg

out of the smoker....sausage has a nice brown color

193ccf80_HPIM2105.jpg

in the fridge to hang overnight

8e9db384_HPIM2106.jpg

open shot tomorrow

Thanks for looking

Joe

Last edited:
Looks great - what kind of seasoning did you use and how long to UNsmoke it :) I usually hang my deer for a while, at least a couple of days. everybody has their own prefference I may have to try that next time.

Looks great - what kind of seasoning did you use and how long to UNsmoke it :) I usually hang my deer for a while, at least a couple of days. everybody has their own prefference I may have to try that next time.
Never did venison sausage.... Its pretty warm here in nc  right now so I wouldnt hang a deer unless it was in a cooler... This dear was a head shot with a 17 caliber bullet

I will send you a pm on the seasonings

Joe

Looks good Joe and it's nice to know all I have to do is kill them and you'll make the sausage
biggrin.gif

Nice shot!  .17 cal sometimes takes two to kill a squirrel!  It's barely a bb.

Looks great. Hopefully you at least got a few rings or got paid for all of your work. I have to agree with you guys that everyone has their own way of thinking when it comes to venison. Do you let it hang or do you cut it up right away. Personally we hang, skin and quarter all of our deer the night they are shot and get them into the fridge or cooler then cut it up as soon as we have time. I should do some research on this or maybe someone can save the time. I know people who insist it must hang and age and I know people who insist that venison does not benefit from aging as the meat/fat fibers or whatever do not break down like they would in say beef. So does anyone know any proven science behind it? I might just have to start a thread on that.

.17 HMR is actually smaller than a pellet or bb, pellets are .177, dont think I would advertise the method of death in this case, fairly certain this was illegal. Sausage looks great tho 

Nice work Joe...! I agree with Ross that you should get something out of the deal... Smiles are nice but they don't pay for your time (Or so I'm learning)...  Happy Smoking, Smokin - K

17 HMR is actually smaller than a pellet or bb, pellets are .177, dont think I would advertise the method of death in this case, fairly certain this was illegal. Sausage looks great tho
I think it was just a rumor.  iI ya weren't there to see it, it's just a rumor.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  Maybe that's why the shooter got rid of it.

.17 HMR is actually smaller than a pellet or bb, pellets are .177, dont think I would advertise the method of death in this case, fairly certain this was illegal. Sausage looks great tho 

I have looked at the nc hunting and fishing regulations book and have found nothing about caliber size....   http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/LawsSafety.aspx        I will try to find out from the wildelife commision.

Joe

I guess there is a possiblity that NC allows rimfire deer hunting, but most states require centerfire ammunition only, regardless, the sausage came out looking awesome, what kinda seasonings do you use?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky