Unstuffed Smoked Beef Pepperoni Sticks with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bear,

I'm getting ready to make your sticks, but I'm wondering why you do the ice water bath.  I would think it would wash off some of the smoke flavor.
It doesn't wash the smoke off, because there is no skin on them. If there was skin on, most of the smoke would be on the outside.

If I made these in the Winter, I would just keep them outside awhile.

If you have a better way to cool them down, you don't have to put them in ice or ice water. I only did that to cool them enough to put them in my Fridge without warming my fridge. Then some fat (oil) came to the surface, so I rinsed them in warm water & dried them with paper towels before putting them in the Fridge.

You'll love these!!!

Bear

Last edited:
Good morning Bear,  I've been thinking of making pepperoni,  this is the only thread that came up.  Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Couple questions.   You list 2 1/2 TBS cure for 5lbs. meat.  Is that correct?  That sounds like a lot of cure for 5lbs. meat.   I'm still new to sausage, but just want to make sure I have it right..   If it has been answered, I apologize,  I did not read through the whole thread.

They look great,  thanks for sharing

Wes

Please read Bears recipe completely and thourily.

Bear uses Morton Tender Quick, he does not use cure #1 so if you do put that amount of Cure #1 in your mix, it will be way to much.

For saefty sake, Please re read his recipe.

Rich-

drool.gif
looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Bearcarver my DIL asked for beef sticks for Christmas, so I'll give this recipe a go!

Good morning Bear,  I've been thinking of making pepperoni,  this is the only thread that came up.  Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Couple questions.   You list 2 1/2 TBS cure for 5lbs. meat.  Is that correct?  That sounds like a lot of cure for 5lbs. meat.   I'm still new to sausage, but just want to make sure I have it right..   If it has been answered, I apologize,  I did not read through the whole thread.

They look great,  thanks for sharing

Wes
Sorry I just noticed your question.

Like Rich said, I use TQ, and you use a lot more cure when you use TQ, because the salt is already added. You should use 1 TBS (1/2 ounce) of TQ for every 2 pounds of ground meat.

For Dry curing solid "Whole" meat, you would use 1TBS (1/2 ounce) for every 1 pound.

Bear

Please read Bears recipe completely and thourily.

Bear uses Morton Tender Quick, he does not use cure #1 so if you do put that amount of Cure #1 in your mix, it will be way to much.

For saefty sake, Please re read his recipe.

Rich-
Thanks for watching my back, Rich!!

I wouldn't have seen this now, if it wasn't for Gomez.

Bear

drool.gif
looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Neighbor Debbie!!

Hmmm---Just thinking about that---If Debbie lives in Easton, she doesn't have far to go for Shad Roe!!

Bear
@Bearcarver my DIL asked for beef sticks for Christmas, so I'll give this recipe a go!
Just yell if you have any questions!!

Bear

Last edited:
Hey there Bear!

A question. Have you tried making these using a sausage stuffer? If so, how was it compared to hand forming them?

Curious, as I just picked up a 5lb stuffer recently.

Thanks.

Hey there Bear!

A question. Have you tried making these using a sausage stuffer? If so, how was it compared to hand forming them?

Thanks.
Yes I did, but I had to get the Better Half to turn the crank, so I could use both hands to be gentle with fragile skinless sticks.

Bear

Hey there Bear!

Thanks.
I have used mine to make the sticks too. I found that it was easier though using our jerky gun.

I would think the Jerky Gun would be the best way to go.

I don't have one, but it seems it would be easier than hand rolling, and you don't need a third hand to crank.

Bear

Well, I just mixed up 6 lbs of beef using your recipe. So tomorrow evening I'll form them, and let them rest until Sunday morning, when I'll start to smoke them.

Thank you for the inspiration John.

p.s. If they don't turn out, I'm coming to your place, and I'm going to sit on your porch and eat them all. Then I'm going swimming in your son's duck pond!!!!! Then I'm coming back to your porch to eat more!!!!

Once again, thank you! You're Q views are the best.

Darko

Last edited:

Well, I just mixed up 6 lbs of beef using your recipe. So tomorrow evening I'll form them, and let them rest until Sunday morning, when I'll start to smoke them.

Thank you for the inspiration John.

p.s. If they don't turn out, I'm coming to your place, and I'm going to sit on your porch and eat them all. Then I'm going swimming in your son's duck pond!!!!! Then I'm coming back to your porch to eat more!!!!

Once again, thank you! You're Q views are the best.

Darko
I Thank You, Sir !!!

Sounds Great !!

I'll be smoking about 13 pounds of Dried Beef on Sunday too----If it ever stops snowing-----About 6' total here so far. Twenty inches in the last 2 days.

Better wait awhile for that swim, and watch out for the Pennsylvania Snappers.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky