Unstuffed Smoked Beef Logs (slightly hot) -- Bearcarver Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have to put everything on hold. A friend of my wives is having a party for her husbands law firm and they asked me to cater it.Hopefully I'll remember to take picks.I did take some today of the grilled veggies. The party is Tuesday pm(tomorrow actually today) I've been at it all day. A lot of salads,sushi,ribs and salmon, grilled fruit with lavender ice cream. Hopefully later in the week I can make some sticks! Thanks for all your help, and I certainly won't be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

Scott
That's Great, Scott !!!

Good luck on your Party----Great start with the veggies!!!

Bear

Hi Bearcarver,

I tried this recipe this week - really good - thanks for the detailed instructions.  I added some cheese in the middle which turned out OK.

One question?  Why do you put the completed logs into ice water at the end?  I had some hot and stuck the rest into the fridge an put them away the next day and they seemed fine.

Hi Bearcarver,

I tried this recipe this week - really good - thanks for the detailed instructions.  I added some cheese in the middle which turned out OK.

One question?  Why do you put the completed logs into ice water at the end?  I had some hot and stuck the rest into the fridge an put them away the next day and they seemed fine.
Thank You Tucson!!

Glad you like it !!!

Two reasons:

To get it to stop cooking fast.

To get it down to 100* without warming up any of my Fridges.

If it's below freezing outside, leaving it outside will do the same thing. (protected from critters)

Bear

Instead of making a new thread, I will post this here, as this step-by-step is looking negleted.

I realized in the middle of the week that I had no weekend smoke project lined up, so I clicked on Bear's step-by-step bookmark and boom! Bear Logs.

Dug a 4.5lb pack of ground beef out of the freezer and already had all the ingredients for this, so I started on Thursday night. Using half the ingredients listed in the recipe as I have half the meat.

Q-View

Thursday night:

Lineup

All mixed

Friday night:

Rolled nicely and into the fridge uncovered

Saturday morning:

Out of the firdge, nice pellicle formed

9:00am: into the Big Chief with some hickory!

Stay tuned!

Looks excellent Duke! Now this is something I definitely want to try some day.
These are real easy to make.

The Three things I make are actually interchangeable.

The recipes can be swapped from one to the other.

The main difference is the amount of heat.

Here they are:

Unstuffed Beef Sticks (All Beef)           
Bear 

Last edited:

Looks excellent Duke! Now this is something I definitely want to try some day.

These are real easy to make.

The Three things I make are actually interchangeable.
The recipes can be swapped from one to the other.
The main difference is the amount of heat.
Here they are:

Unstuffed Beef Sticks (All Beef)           

Smoked Bear Logs (All Beef)          

Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef)    

Smoked Mini-Bear-Loaves (All Beef)             

Bear 

I'll be trying one or two of these soon Bear, so much good stuff... I can never decide what to try next ! :biggrin:

[quote name="WaterinHoleBrew" url="/t/103811/unstuffed-smoked-beef-logs-slightly-hot-bearcarver-qview/60#post_ I can never decide what to try next ! :biggrin:[/quote]

That's a legit problem!

[quote name="WaterinHoleBrew" url="/t/103811/unstuffed-smoked-beef-logs-slightly-hot-bearcarver-qview/60#post_ I can never decide what to try next !
biggrin.gif

That's a legit problem![/quote]
I'll be trying one or two of these soon Bear, so much good stuff... I can never decide what to try next !
biggrin.gif
I prefer the Bear loaf, myself.

And the only difference between the two "Bear Loaf" Step by Steps is the size. Ingredients in the Bear Loaves are all equal in percentages.

Bear

I have yet to try the loaf and first time trying logs, but I have done sticks 4-5 times now and the freezer is never without them. Also vac-packed a bunch at Christmas and gave some out as gifts along with beef jerky and canned goods from the Ms.

So Duke, How did you like the flavor. I changed it when I went from my Beef Sticks to the Bear Logs (Added a little heat). Everybody around my end said the Sticks were too mild, so I upped the heat for the Bear Logs & the Bear Loaf.

I recommend this mixture or the Bear Loaf mixture to be used with the Sticks too. I'm not much for heat myself, but I like them more than the Mild Sticks. I think the Bear Loaf mix is Perfect.

Bear

So Duke, How did you like the flavor. I changed it when I went from my Beef Sticks to the Bear Logs (Added a little heat). Everybody around my end said the Sticks were too mild, so I upped the heat for the Bear Logs & the Bear Loaf.

I recommend this mixture or the Bear Loaf mixture to be used with the Sticks too. I'm not much for heat myself, but I like them more than the Mild Sticks. I think the Bear Loaf mix is Perfect.

Bear
I have added some heat to my sticks also and I like them both ways. I noticed the addition of soy sauce in this recipe also. Nice touch, I think I like the logs better than the sticks!

Side note, this is my first batch of either that I used TQ for the cure instead of that Hi-Mountain cure. The difference is night and day IMO.
Exactly---I agree!!!

I tried Hi Mt one time with Bacon, and it was the only Bacon I ever had to soak to get rid of excess Salt flavor.

Bear

Exactly---I agree!!!

I tried Hi Mt one time with Bacon, and it was the only Bacon I ever had to soak to get rid of excess Salt flavor.

Bear
I'm guessing most of us here have that one opened, half used box of Hi-Mountain or similar kit in our pantry, sitting between that can of Spam and 55oz can of creamed corn you found on sale in 2003...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky