UK build.....all done...I think...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a question, If I put my reverse flow plate level with the top of the firebox (yellow line) there is only about 5" inches beween the plate and the cooking grate. With plenty of room underneath. Would it be benificial to drop it down (green line) giving more room between the two. Or would this badly effect the heat flow? I'm only thinking of a few inches.

The area underneath would still be larger than the firebox/cook chamber calculated opening.

http://s919.photobucket.com/user/weedraker/media/smoker/reverseplate.jpg.html

What do you think?

Regards

Michael

I have a question, If I put my reverse flow plate level with the top of the firebox (yellow line) there is only about 5" inches beween the plate and the cooking grate. With plenty of room underneath. Would it be benificial to drop it down (green line) giving more room between the two. Or would this badly effect the heat flow? I'm only thinking of a few inches.

The area underneath would still be larger than the firebox/cook chamber calculated opening.

What do you think?

Regards

Michael

What calculator did you use ??

Dave

I used Feldons, I think it worked the aera out at 215 cu inch's from memory for the opening.

I used Feldons, I think it worked the aera out at 215 cu inch's from memory for the opening.

In that case, I would not lower the RF plate...... Feldon's is skimpy on area under an RF plate.... It is designed for a tuning plate smoker IMO... lowering the RF plate will cause friction loss for the air flow.....

Hello Mate.  Been there, done that.  I feel your pain.  Looks like you have done this welding thing a time or two.  Looking really nice.  When I was a young man ( about 30 years ago ) I was welding for  several months building an oil rig.  We had one old man  on the crew ( probably in his 60's ) who came in EVERY day with a hangover, and we were working 7 - 12 hour days in the hot south Texas sun.  As you can imagine everything is made of steel so it helps to radiate the heat.  I always wondered how he could do it because you are spot on, it ain't no fun AT ALL.  Keep up the good work.  Looking forward to seeing smoke come from that dude.

Danny

I've done a fair bit of welding considering I am a youngster at 32 compared to lots of you experienced builders. I had a late night on a holiday weekend, and had to visit my workshop to meet someone on the Sunday morning, I felt I should do a little while I was there. Head inside the firebox was not the best job to do though!
I'm going to crack on with it this week and next!
Michael

Last night I made the firebox door catch, I'll get a photo up as soon as I can.

There was a gap of about 1/4" in the middle of the top edge of the cooking chamber door. I put a straight edge on it and the door was bowed out a little and the chamber was bowed in a little. The rest of the door fitted ok.

I tried jacking the chamber out, it went a little. And had a little go at the door. But I think ive concluded that its not going anyware, So I think I'm going to adjust the top closure plate to fill the gap.

With a high temp silicon seal, it should seal up ok.

Regards

Michael

Hello Michael.  Just keep banging away, you'll get there.  As for handles, just a couple thoughts:  a piece of pipe ( or similar ) with a set screw to hold it to the shaft, then cut the head off a wood screw and weld it to the pipe, screw on a pre-drilled, varnished wooded handle?  Also I have seen used many times those "spring" type handles from the cheap chipping hammers??  I am sure you will come up with a great idea.  Ready to see some smoke coming from that smoker!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hi All,
I made a list of stuff to finnish:-

Chimney cap (keep water out)
Vent handles
Door handle
Light mounts
move brake cables mounting
weight screws modification
Wheel Heat shields
Fire basket
top cook shelf
shelf runners
Door catch?
Padlock hole for door
Outside Shelf
jockey wheel
fat drain

Paint
Fit lights

I've got a week and a half to do it! Which would be ok if I didnt have to work full time!

I should also stop planning my next one (small one for home) and a pizza oven!

Regards

Michael

icon_lol.gif
  One at a time, one at a time.  Head down and arse up and you'll get 'er done.

Danny

Hi UK Builder, it's looking good!

Hoping I can produce something as good as this when I start my RF Propane Smoker!

(Edited Version)

Smokin Monkey

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky