Turkey Too Big?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougk55

Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
I know the "boss" says to stick with turkeys around 12 pounds. Somebody gave us a frozen one that weighs in at 18-19 pounds. Is there any way I can safely do it in my smoker? I just bought an vertical LP gas smoker from Sears, replacing the old electric Brinkman. I'd like to do it, but I don't want to risk getting sick.

If you can get the smoker to maintain 300°+ then I wouldn't think there will be a problem. I do 15 lb'ers in less than 4 hrs at 325° . Low and slow is not better for poultry. Good luck with the bird
icon_smile.gif

As long as you get the bird above 140° within 4 hrs your ok, measured in the thickest part of the breast or thigh. Done when it reaches 165°. You might already know this, but don't stuff it
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I did a 31 pounder Memorial Day weekend. Brined and rubbed and cooked in about 12 hours at 250 to 275 degrees. It came out great! IMHO there is more concern in how long it sits out in the preparation as opposed to the cooking time as long as your temps are steady and in the 250 to 300 degree range. I'll definitely do it again!

OK guys, well, Im gona do my first Turkey, just under 10#...

Told my Mother about the Brining, so the bird will have brined about 24 hrs....(she's bringing it over in the morn)

I'm ready to go with plenty of charcoal/chunk Mesquite for main fire and apple, hickory, beechwood for smoke.

I saw that RUBs are not that popular if you brined....ALSO, I saw one guy tied his up with string...good idea?...or it doesn't matter?

I'm shooting for 300* till it reads 165* internally...allowing about 4 hrs...

I will have plenty of PICS.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
wink.gif

Not knockin ya but i would have not have eaten that bird...
Richtee has the particulars on the danger zone, hopefully will chime in!Between 40 and 140 over 4 hrs and your asking for trouble.

thankx laurel..............

i did that 18 lber low and slow..........and am alive to tell about it...........250 is what i averaged..........so take that for what it is werth........but with a brine with salt, i think the danger zone may be extended abit............i have another 19 lber i plan on doing low and slow.......but you get that big, i mite brine for abit longer than 24 hours......not for health issues........just to make sure the goodies get pulled in DEEP into the bird.............

btw........my "DANZER ZONED" bird was fed to over 15 people.........and they are ALL still alive and kicking........its was my family so i would know........LOLOLOL............*sigh*

I understand Dude...I'm just a little cautious with any birds, I just don't trust them......they scare me. Probably because I've seen where most of these birds come from. If I raised my own to cook, I'd have a different opinion on how to cook them.

it just seems to me..........if ANYONE is dying of poultry too long in the danger zone.........while smoking............there wuld be some evidence of it.........in one forum or the other..........like i said.........i have a even BIGGER turkey i am going to do for turkey day............same way............and both were store bought turkeys........d88de shrugs

like others have said, you should be fine.

I did a 23 pounder over the weekend. Sat in the brine in a cooler with ice for about 10 hours before it went in the smoker at 250 for 3 hours I think it turned out. No one has died from it yet.

I've done 'em both strung up and just thrown on the grate, it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference. Just depends on how it fits in your smoker.

tho since it was store bought, i soaked first to remove the factory brine..........2 days..........then brined for 24 hours, but i cut the salt in half............

Checked your log......awesome. Glad to know I'm not the only one that takes notes.

So how was the skin?

So I have heard of some that smoke the bird and then fry it for a few minutes to crisp the skin. Ever done that? I'm going to do my next one that way. Skin is the best part of the bird.

yeah don't have a grill to crisp it up............and its a bit of a waste to heat up all that peanut oil just to crisp up the skin..........but when i get the drum up and going......won't be a problem

Well, I never just cook one. I always do several when I do turkeys. They freeze real well. I shred them and then we use them in casseroles, etc, in place of chicken.

So if I do 4 of them, it's not that big a deal to to fire up the fryer. But you're right, kind of hard to justify with just one though.

But I love fried turkey, nothing better than fried turkey skin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky