Turkey Frying

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Denver North Suburbs
I got a tukey fryer for Christmas. I've never eaten fried turkey let alone fried one. I would have tried it by now except for the fact we've been covered in snow here in Denver since before Chistmas.

Anyone else here own a fryer or have experience with this cooking process? I understand that it's a great way to cook turkey if done right.

I've smoked several turkeys with great results and am looking forward to this new cooking experience.

PG fried turkey is pretty good stuff. Find an injection that sounds good to your tastes, fill the gobbler full and fry it up. Here's a link to help get ya started. Don't let your oil get too hot, you don't want to launch that bird to the moon - or burn it to the ground either. Good Luck

http://bbq.about.com/cs/turkey/a/aa101699.htm

Keep Smokin

once you fry a turkey, you will NEVER eat an oven bird again. its simple, heat peanut oil to 375, cook for 4 mins per lb + 4 mins, drain and cool (if u can keep your hands off it!) dont forget to season bird first, cajun seasoning, lawrys, etc. good luck
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

PG Safety First: When you lower the bird into the hot grease, it is best to have an insulated mitten or glove on and lower the bird very very slowly to avoid boil over. Should also be in an area where you can put down floor dry or kitty litter to catch the grease the will splash out during cooking.We have found that it takes about 1/2 minute longer than the instructions say to cook the bird. I agree they are some good chewin and injection makes a taster bird. Steve

PG -

Do a trial run and fill the pot up with water first and snk the bird. Mark where the level is and use a few inched less of oil.

Watch that snow! If it hits the hot grease it will explode big time!

Fried turkey is pretty good - definatelty inject it with garlic and onion powder and cajun spice! Yum.

I personally think smoked turkey is better - but I still inject it.

Did I mention that turkey friers are great for brewing beer?

Now here is a subject I do know just a bit about. I have been frying the holiday birds for five years now. I use Tony Cacheres cajun butter Injectable marinade. Usually two bottles for a 14 pound bird, inject the night before. I then heat the oil to 400 degrees, as I usually have a 100-125 degree loss when I drop the bird. SLOWLY lower the bird into the oil (I use a mix of veg and peanut) then I let it go for about an hour lift it out until I can get a probe into the breast and thigh and check every 10 - 15 minutes until I get 165 degrees. Lift- drain- cool. internally the bird will continue to cook for about ten minutes. Juicy flavored turkey with crisp skin and smiles around the table. the warnings are to be heeded though. Set the fryer on concrete, not near any wall. Dont drop the bird in, and don't leave unattended. Every year some redneck here in Idaho is sure to burn down at least part of his house because he did it in the kitchen or on a wood deck. The garage would be good as long as you get to the middle of the floor away from the walls.

Happy frying
Longshot

Redneck? Hey, I gots me a edumacation buddy.
Actually since I hate NASCAR and beer, I don't really fit in with the rednecks. But if there's a sect of redneckdom that drinks iced tea and watches drag racing, then I'm in.
The thing I hate about the propane fryers is; if there is any wind, it's a pain to keep a steady temp. This one of the reasons I replaced mine for an electric unit. Now the propane burner is my wok burner. A wind break is a must if you can't get it in the middle of the garage floor.
We had a retiree come to work one day to man the turkey fryers and couldn't keep a constant temp in the wind, so I told him to close the shop doors and he did. Then the idiot left them unattended. When I came back and took a temp the oil was over 500º and the birds were crispy all the way to the bone.
The moral of the story? Don't leave for a minute. If the oil had been able to boil over, I wouldn't have a place to work. Plus we had to order pizza so we could eat lunch.:(

I fully admit my redneckhood, I just try not to set the fryer too close to the 78 camaro that is up on blocks. It makes a great wind break and the wifebeater t-shirt that is the gas cap makes a pretty good windsock. We had an id10t at work a few years ago that dropped the bid because he got scared when it began to boil over as he lowered it. bye bye moustache, eyebrows, and bangs. He didn't suffer any serious injuries and the fryer was on a concrete slab. The worst injury was to his ego, "flame on johnny torch!"
great point on the windbreak though, I have had the same issues trying to maintain constant temp in an Idaho November myself. I have to point out though no matter how strong the wind a propane turkey fryer IS NOT a kitchen utensil!!! LOL

Longshot

The biggest problem I have seen people have is not getting their oil level figured out properly. It is very simple to do and will save a lot of problems down the road.

Put you turkey in the pot with the plastic covering still on. Add water to the pot until the turkey is covered except for the tip of the drumsticks.

Remove the turkey from the pot and mark the water level with a magic marker or whatever will mark on your pot.

pour out the water and COMPLETELY DRY the pot. Fill with peanut oil to the mark.

Heat the oil to 375* on a concrete or fireproof level surface.

Slowly, slowly, slowly lower the completly thawed and dried off bird into the oil. Welders gloves are recommended.

Once in the oil I do not remove mine until it has been frying for 3.5 minutes per pound.

Never, I repeat never leave the pot unattended!!!!!!!!!

You will probably need to kick the heat up after the bird is in the oil to maintain a temp between 350 - 375*. I personally don't ever get over 375 because it can scorch your oil and leave a burnt taste on the meat.

If you follow the rules it will be a great tasting bird.

ps - tony cachere seasonings, liquified butter, a little EVOO and some garlic powder makes a pretty good injection seasoning. sprinkle lots of Tony's seasoning on the outside and inside also.:)

Wow, thanks for everyone's help! My family and friends look forward to my smoked meats, hopfully I can satisfy thier tastes for fried turkey.

I will follow your advice and let you know how mine turns out.

PG that avatar gets me every time I see it - love it!

Keep Smokin

A lot of good advice here. I have been frying for 7-8 years now and always fry up 6-7 for neighbors at Xmas. Have always done the injections before, many different ones, but this year for Thanksgiving I injected one and brined one. Funny enough, the brined one was better and even less salty than the injected one. A couple of important points again, place the fryer somewhere outside and expect some oil to splatter out and lower s-l-o-w-l-y into the oil, picking back up a little as it starts to boil up. Something else I found this year that makes it a lot easier for cleanup......an oil pump. Battery operated w/a filter so you can just pump it back into the plastic container vs trying to tip the pot with 3-4 gallons of oil sloshing around into a funnel.

Lots of good advice on this has already been given. The only thing I would add is the size of the turkey. Obviously the size of the fryer makes a difference, but anything larger than 12-14 pounds is going to give you trouble. Its hard to get enough oil in the pot to cover the bird without overflow and/or the bird is simply too big to fit .... I have to agree with everyone though, once you've fried a turkey it's hard to go back to oven roasted.

Thanks for all the awesome replies and great information.

SAFETY FIRST.... I can do it! My fryer has that enlarged area at the top that is suppose to help prevent overflows, but I will take your advice here.

Has anyone used the Cajan Injector brand marinades?

How long will the oil last, and how should it be stored?

PigCicles, on the avatar.....my nickname in high school (awhile ago) was babyface, something that stays with you through life! Just go with it
icon_wink.gif

Deep fried turkey YUMMMMMMY. i do them all the time . i use different injections but the one i like best is just plain chicken bullion dissolved in water with maybe some garlic powder and onion powder for extra flavor [also old bay].i also lift the skin and do a rub right on the meat so the oil doesn't wash it off. and let it sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours before i give it the oil bath..

make sure you keep your oil temp no less then 325 and no higher than 350. wear gloves when putting the bird in and do it very slow. it is a very violent process when first starting..3 minutes per pound plus an extra 5 mins to the total pull it and let it rest for 15 min to half hour or wrap and stick in the cooler

After reading this post, I had a thought (uh-oh). Would placing a turkey in the smoker for awhile prior to the pot,add any smoked flavor to the final product?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky