turkey brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used this method this year and wasn't impressed.  It wasn't bad...but not nearly as good as the last 3 or 4 years.  As my wife said, nobody didn't like it, but nobody said it was the best they'd ever had like they usually do.

I'll post my recipe in the next few days.

What method did you use?
I use a cup of salt per gallon of water, 1/2 cup brown sugar, handful of peppercorns, 1/3 cup (or so) of Italian seasoning, and boil it all to infuse the herbs.  Before putting it on the smoker, I rub butter under the skin and put onion, celery, and carrots in the cavity.  No injection.  Mop occasionally with apple juice.

I cook it on a rack over a foil pan with a box of chicken stock and the neck and giblets in it.  I pick the neck meat and throw and it and the giblets in food processor (so my wife and kids don't recognize it) to make gravy with the drippings.  It's rich and smokey and delicious!  Almost like smoked foie gras gravy!

I followed the Slaughterhouse method all the way and it just wasn't as moist or flavorful as it usually is.  I wonder if less salt makes that much difference?  It did have a beautiful color!  I will probably use the spritz recipe again.

The gravy was still awesome.

Thank you for posting that Cajun recipe!!! I'm so looking forward to trying it out, I have been looking for a good Cajun recipe for poultry!!!

As for a container, I use a BPA free cooler and a few ice blocks to brine the larger stuff.

I typically do a full breast at around 6lbs. My brine is:

1/2 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
5-6 cloves of chopped garlic
One cup of fresh chopped herbs
2 tsp black pepper

I don't heat the brine because it mixes pretty well when shaken in a 2 gallon bag. 24 hours in the brine, dry it and let it air for an hour. Rub it with olive oil and then four hours on fruitwood at 250.

One of the keys I've found is to seperate the skin from the breast so the brine can penetrate fully.

Jumping on an old thread but I have a question about injection.
When using an injection recipe that has butter it clogs the needle of my syringe.
Can I heat the recipe to better liquefy the injectable?

Jumping on an old thread but I have a question about injection.
When using an injection recipe that has butter it clogs the needle of my syringe.
Can I heat the recipe to better liquefy the injectable?

I have had the same problem. I am going to try it with clarified butter. Maybe it wont clog as much with the solids removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I attempted a brine once on a pheasant and it was terrible. Super salty and did not taste good. Now I'm afraid of brines. Is there a super simple easy brine recipe/instructions for first timers for a 6-7 pound turkey breast I want to smoke?

I attempted a brine once on a pheasant and it was terrible. Super salty and did not taste good. Now I'm afraid of brines. Is there a super simple easy brine recipe/instructions for first timers for a 6-7 pound turkey breast I want to smoke?

My basic brine for turkey breast is:

1/2 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar

You can add anything you want to that. I usually add a pile of chopped garlic, fresh chopped herbs and some black pepper. All of
that goes into a two gallon ziplock bag in the fridge for 24 hours. Make sure you run your fingers under the skin so the brine can penetrate.

Reactions: smokn noobie
I typically do a full breast at around 6lbs. My brine is:

1/2 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
5-6 cloves of chopped garlic
One cup of fresh chopped herbs
2 tsp black pepper

I don't heat the brine because it mixes pretty well when shaken in a 2 gallon bag. 24 hours in the brine, dry it and let it air for an hour. Rub it with olive oil and then four hours on fruitwood at 250.

One of the keys I've found is to seperate the skin from the breast so the brine can penetrate fully.
Have you or has anyone tried a brine made with cranberry juice or apple cider for a boneless turkey breast?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky