Trying a Brisket Again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

quickray

Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
Hey guys,

Gonna give brisket another shot this weekend. I just have a few questions/opinions I’d like to have.
First, the brisket will be only for the wife and I, so I don’t need a 10+ pound hunk of meat. If I go to my meat market and have them cut it up for me, should I go for some flat and point? Should I just get flat? Personally I prefer the flat but didn’t know if it effects cooking the meat if you only have flat.

Second, is anyone willing to message me through the process if I have question? Sometimes I’m left guessing if I should wait longer, uncertain how it looks, etc…Please let me know if anyone would be willing to take a text message or two during the cook.

Thanks!

Personally I just cut my briskets in half. There is only one of me. The point is more tender and easier to cook. I take the flats and cure them for corned beef. What are you cooking on? Long resting periods after cook really help also.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
Personally, I find that large, whole briskets cook up better than small ones. I would just find one between 12-16lbs, cook it all, then vac seal and freeze the leftovers. Vac sealed brisket is a great, quick and easy meal to prepare - besides just easting it plated, you can use it for sandwiches, nachos, etc.

Although Gary has passed here is a link to one guys cooks that was considered to be the brisket guru. Good luck and ask plenty of questions before the cook

Reactions: 912smoker
If decide on flat here is a post from Al that might help.

SmokinAl SmokinAl has a thread on smoking the just the flat, and crazzycajun crazzycajun has posted a really good thread on doing a whole brisket. I agree with bregent bregent cook it whole and freeze the leftovers. Good luck whichever way you choose, and make sure to post it up.

Chris

There is only two of us here as well and I always smoke a whole packer. Way better results. Usually the pgk weight is in the 12-14# range but trimming normally removes 3-4#. After dining I cut what's left into 2 meal size portions, vacuum pack and freeze. Some of the best chili is made with one of these not to mention simple reheat meals along with a side or two. Smoke it whole, eat, cut into portions, vac & freeze. You'll be thanking a bunch of us later. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
Personally I just cut my briskets in half. There is only one of me. The point is more tender and easier to cook. I take the flats and cure them for corned beef. What are you cooking on? Long resting periods after cook really help also.

I’m smoking it. Last time I had a hell of a time getting it up to temp. I smoked it for nearly 12 hours and it was barely getting up to 160. I smoked at 225 but my smoker temp fluctuates, it’ll be down to 180 then rebound to 240. Then settle back at 225. Then repeat. I asked previously on the forum and they said set the smoker at 250. Maybe that will work?

I’m smoking it. Last time I had a hell of a time getting it up to temp. I smoked it for nearly 12 hours and it was barely getting up to 160. I smoked at 225 but my smoker temp fluctuates, it’ll be down to 180 then rebound to 240. Then settle back at 225. Then repeat. I asked previously on the forum and they said set the smoker at 250. Maybe that will work?
250-275* Will make life much simpler.

Id smoke it whole and just vacuum pack and freeze some. If I were choosing between point and flat I’d go point every time. Far more forgiving. As far as waking you through just create your list of specific questions and post them. You will get all the answers you need and more.

If decide on flat here is a post from Al that might help.

I have tried this twice now and it came out great both times.

your post seems to indicat your using probe for IT. are u using probe for smoker temp or it that the setting on an electric or such. the swing u posted sounds like an electric smoker. some want the perfect never vary smoker temp. my stick smomer doesnt do that but i avg 235 240 with lowes of 200 and after adding cpl of sticks may see 255 or so. i dont think swings have an impact that i can notice. i prefer lower and slower but others like the hot and fast so you may want to read up on that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky