Trashcan turkey.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sosmoking

Original poster
Dec 9, 2015
Tried this on thanksgiving. Easy to set up. Took about 1hr 40min to cook however I left it in two hours or until the coals looked like they were used up. Well I held it in too long doing that and the bird split in half. It was brined in a cranberry ocean spray juice and seasoning for 12 hours. 20lbs of charcoal. Next time I will use a turkey stand like the chicken stands for the grill. Start your coals prior to placing the bird on the stake. Also if using s new can burn off the metal first.

Welcome to the group!  My first attempt at turkey split in half too!  It was done in less than two hours and I was expecting a very long smoke.  Checked on it at about 2.5 hour in and it was too late. I do turkeys that are around 12 lbs and check at 2 hrs now.  

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky