Time for a "BE SAFE" reminder:)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 16, 2008
NW Ohio - outside Toledo
Well, Boys and girls, Turkey Day and Christmas , Oh,and New Years (if we make ii past the 21st.
confused.gif
) , is on our heels. A lot of us are starting to plan and prepare for the 'Doings'.  And I worry about the less thought of aspects of preparing for your meals....
biggrin.gif

Right off the top of my head I begin to think of the Safe serve Rules...(in general , a short list) Cleanliness of your hands, which you should clean with a good soap(antibacterial if possible) and prepping areas, wash often and clean the work area often with 1:10 Bleach and water (each time you move ) your project . I know , a real PITA , but better for you and your guest.

Wash the Meat with clean water and dry well with a clean towel , then begin your prepping. Just for safety
icon14.gif

Your meat should have been completely thawed in  40* temp. , and kept there until ready to place into the "Cooker" (you'll have it out for a bit to season and trim or whatever) then replace it in the cooler again (fridge).

Now the Meat is prepped...time for the cooking .

First on my list of safety is "Frying in a Turkey fryer"... Have yourself a good (adjustable if possible) thermometer and "calibrate" it in boiling water. You can not adjust the dial readout ? then jot down where the therm. registers and use that to mentally adjust the temp.-ie. , therm. shows 190 when water is boiling, add 22* to get actual...same if higher-ie. ,230* , subtract 18* ( those in higher altitudes use the conversion to adjust to your Elevation ).

Next is "How much Oil do I use?   Place the Food(whatever it is) in the Fryer Pot , then fill with water(*this can be done as you are cleaning the Meat ) to just above the level the food is resting , and mark a line on the outside of the Pot. This is a reference line for the Oil you will be using and prevent boil-overs.

Peanut oil or Corn oil I have found gives a better flavor. Now , if you are Cholesterol conscious , a light oil will do, just make sure the Oil can be used at 375* or higher... thus Corn and Peanut Oil...

Heat your oil first, (Duh) , and take it to 375*  as it will quickly cool some when the food is introduced . Aftre the oil is to heat...turn off the Gas-completely . Why, the damp , cold food will cause a boiling (guaranteed) , and a live flame WILL COMBUST!!!

Now as you are placing you "food" into the Pot, do it "SLOWLY" to help prevent any possible boil-over ( even though the proper amount of liquid oil is in the Pot). After it has been in for 2 to 3 min. turn the Gas back on and adjust it to stay at 350* till done (check time tables for your type of meat).

The same proceedure should be utilized in removing the "food" from the Fryer , turn it OFF , dripping oil can ingite too...so take it out SLOWLY to let the oil drain.

Now, to Smoking... I am a Stickburner and this is from a SFB heated Smoker.

Stay close to your Pit... things happen quickly (ie-my Maverick deliema). Try to keep a 'Small HOT" fire , adding only when your Smoker temp. starts to go  down ( I keep it within 15* of my target , that's 30* you can play with...)

Keep your "Toys" off the staging shelf of your Smoker , that saves having a gust of wind stoking the fire and screwing you stuff-up
frown.gif

Also, your equipment will stay cleaner , I use Trish's old ragged towels and old thin rags to clean-up with and wipe my hands. They are washable and re-useable for YOU at the Pit. Wash in laundry soap and Bleach( or a quarternary disinfectant).

If you don't have a needle valve between the Propane tank and the Smoker, get one (about$5) and easy to install ; usually a screw-in part. This will help you in controling the heat (for gassers) .

Watt Burners should check fuses and breakers to avoid a shutdown and a ruined meal...nothing worse than , after your team wins , you go out and find the food RAW. (that's one reason I don't use set and forget , too much can go wrong AND no 'drity little stories and jokes' can be told around the Wife and Kinfolk Women.

Check -out all the little equip. such as the AMNPS pellets/dust for moisture and (possible) mold. The pencil lighter for fuel enough to light the unit, and have enough air-intake to support the smoldering ,plus leaving the exhaust WIDE OPEN ( this goes for ALL Smoking Equip., you need to release the old smoke or it will turn stale and be bad tasting ) ruining the meal.

Gas units , (Grills) , do a pre-cook check of your equip. from the tank to the burners, Re-place any worn or burned out parts(burners, hoses , needlevalves and tank valves). Do a pre-cook test to be sure...30min. to an hour , at least. You want to see if any heat issues arise while cooking-ie.-burnt-out bottom (in which fire and burning oil will drip) , Therms. working well(and not the stock ones-almost always way off temp.).

and misdirected flames from a rusthole in the burner.

Charcoalers , check out your bowl for holes, tanks and leads (as above if it is a gas ignition) and a clean grate - (this is for everyone ; a clean grate impresses guest better than most anything else...I use my Weed burner to flame off anything stuck on the metal-then I re-oil it for curing.

I have most likely forgot a lot of things , however this will get you to thinking... any additions are welcome...MY point is for everyone to have a SAFE and HAPPY holiday season...

Have fun and...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky