Thinking about a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alan Maples

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 27, 2022
Got my eye on an Oklahoma Joe highland reverse flow smoker. Yes, a Lang would be better, but a Lang is also beyond my budget. What can people who own one tell me about the Oklahoma Joe?

I have an older Highland traditional flow and really have no major complaints with it. It is definitely a step above the old char griller offsets, and like any other, you just have to learn how to run it. I'd call OKJ a mid grade offset that runs better than the cheapest offset you can get, but it ain't a Lang, or Bell Fab.

I have an older Highland traditional flow and really have no major complaints with it. It is definitely a step above the old char griller offsets, and like any other, you just have to learn how to run it. I'd call OKJ a mid grade offset that runs better than the cheapest offset you can get, but it ain't a Lang, or Bell Fab.
I cut my teeth on a cheap offset. Question. Do you need charcoal and wood, or can I use a straight up wood fire?

I use lump to get a good coal bed going, then just splits after I have a good fire going. Mine is fairly easy to maintain temps adding a split every so often once it settles in. Dry splits and setting up the grates in a "V" the firebox so the fire gets more air help a lot in maintaining temps. You will have swings on any offset, but I can keep it within 50° each direction, which I think is decent for a cheapish stick burner.

Reactions: Newglide
I got to thinking that now isn't the ri go time to spend $600.00 on a smoker. Getting this instead. I first learned to smoke meat on a bullet style smoker and it's only $149.00

Attachments

• 2599065-18202075_16in-Bullet-Smoker_001.jpg
    2599065-18202075_16in-Bullet-Smoker_001.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: 912smoker
I got to thinking that now isn't the ri go time to spend $600.00 on a smoker. Getting this instead. I first learned to smoke meat on a bullet style smoker and it's only $149.00
A basic bullet style like that is exactly how I got into the hobby. Have fun!

I use lump to get a good coal bed going, then just splits after I have a good fire going. Mine is fairly easy to maintain temps adding a split every so often once it settles in. Dry splits and setting up the grates in a "V" the firebox so the fire gets more air help a lot in maintaining temps. You will have swings on any offset, but I can keep it within 50° each direction, which I think is decent for a cheapish stick burner.
Well, diue to budget concerns, I decided to get a traditional Oklahoma Joe highland smoker. I should have it in time for football season

Reactions: 02ebz06
I run mine as it came aside from running the grates in a "V" in the firebox. You could actually turn it into a reverse flow with parts from the site I just posted, you just need to move the stack to the firebox side.

I run mine as it came aside from running the grates in a "V" in the firebox. You could actually turn it into a reverse flow with parts from the site I just posted, you just need to move the stack to the firebox side.
I probably won't modify mine much. If nothing goes wrong, I'll have it in September.

Reactions: DougE
I probably won't modify mine much. If nothing goes wrong, I'll have it in September.
They run decent as is for a mid grade stick burner. I would like to lower the stack to grate level, and maybe do the baffle plate for more even temps across the grate, but I use the Camp Chef more than the OKJ. The OKJ does turn out better Q, but the pellet is more hands off. It's a trade off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky