The Wu-DS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wutang

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 10, 2008
Omaha, Ne
I finally have completed my Drum build. Here are some pics along the way. The first couple of pics are actually from a couple months ago when I started this project (yeah it took that long).

I flipped the drum over and made the removable/locking ring lid the bottom and cut out the "permanent" lid with a reciprocating saw.

Testing the fit of the kettle lid on the top (used to be the bottom)

Burned out the drum,

Made a charcoal basket out of a couple pieces of 12x24 expanded metal wrapped around a 14 inch replacement charcoal grate. Secured it with stainless steel hardware. Positioned the lower grate about 4 inches up to allow room for ash to fall out.

Towards the end of the burnout I cooked up a snack Hobo-style.

I have three intakes, each is two 3/4 inch holes cover by a flat piece of steel that rotates. I borrowed this design from a build by Jerrykr

Stainless steel hard ware for grate support. 3 bolts each for two cooking grates. The lower grate is approx 6 inches from the top.

Loaded the charcoal basket with 18 lbs of charcoal and a few wood chunks.

After grinding the inside down to bare metal. I coated the inside with vegetable oil and also sprayed with cooking spray.
Seasoning the drum.

I put about 12-15 lit briquettes in and opened all 3 intakes fully. Temp got to over 500 degress. I was going by the thermo I installed because my digi probe stopped updating after 410.

About 6 hours later and after playing with the intakes the temps are a little under 300. So I threw on a fattie (in accordance with drum law)

Fattie is done. It is just a plain old school breakfast fattie. No stuffing (biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast the next day)

A couple days later I got at it again. Here is a shot of the seasoned inside. A nice bronze/black coating on the inside.

Since the locking ring & removable lid are on the bottom, cleanup is easy. Just release the ring like this

And lift the body of the smoker off of the bottom lid which is sitting on caster wheels.

The lid that I removed I turned into an ash pan. I cut slits about 2 inches deep avery few inches around and folded up the flaps. It is a couple inches less in diameter than the drum and is perfect for catching/dumping out the ash.

A couple coats from some cheapo flat black spray paint.

Intalled some utensil hooks. I drilled small holes and bent the hooks in rather that resting the hooks on the top lip because they would have affected how tightly the lid would seal

Mounted a Wu-Tang emblem that my wifes little brother made for me in shop class. (it is a Wu-DS now!)

And the final product

For now it will share a lid with my kettle grill until I can find a cheap one on Craigslist or something.
Thanks for checking out my UDS build!

Looks great Wutang....really nice job!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

VERY NICE, i need to get of my dead a$$ and get me 1 built.

Thanks guys, I am definately looking forward to logging some time in on this one. Maybe beer can chicken this weekend.

Adam - that is by far the neatest thing I've seen you turn out! What an awesome build and the extra touch of the Wutang symbol is just what what needed.

Great looking fatty and am totally impressed with your UDS building skills!

Great job an your build! I like the intake setup. I can't wait to fire mine up for thr first time for mother's day!

Great build and nice fatty!!

Thanks everyone for the compliments and points. I appreciate it. I can't wait to fire this thing up again!

Man, that looks great. Can't wait to hear how the first big cook goes. I'd love to build a drum like that but considering I have about 1/100th of the handiwork skills that most on this board have, I'm gonna stick with the trusty Big Block.

Jaye220, I agree with Billbo. It is pretty much drilling some holes and installing some nuts & bolts. There are plenty of good ones on here to borrow ideas from.

Exactly.
points.gif

i put mine together with a drill and hole saw, a pair of plyers.. a 20lb propane tank to roll the expanded metal on, and 2 screwdrivers to pull the expanded metal together..(my basket & cooking grate is welded only because friend got a new to him welder and you get cant get weber grates where i live..lol)..nuts,bolts... if you can use ratchet at all, you can put this together..lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky