The Spine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Today is Friday, office is not open on Fridays, Nancy has major surgery today also and of course Dr. Michlin is with her.

After yesterday's adjustment I was zinging more, but after a good night's sleep, the zinging went way down and the back stabilized and my left step was more firmer and more solid.  As the day has gone by, it has gotten less firm, with an occasional zing.

To explain, when I first went there, I was in constant pain on the left side, every step with my left foot zinged with pain, from tolerable to "YEOUCH"! and I was limping badly, favoring the right foot, and I couldn't bear to walk down the length of a grocery aisle myself.  It was left-sided sciatica pain that was from the hip to the toe, and occasional sharp zings that just stop me.  Something was pressing on that nerve.  I tried two weeks of painkillers/muscle relaxers to get the back to move off that nerve, but it didn't help at all, so I sought out the Chiropractor.  From the first adjustment, the pain started lessening, far better than the painkillers did, those just covered them up.

The best way I can explain it is that the left side felt like it was mushy when I stepped with my left foot, and I had to get off it and transfer my weight to my right foot quickly, which was pain-free and firm when I'd step.  Then on the left, pain, mushy feeling, achy, sharp pain, then to the right, and so on.  What I'm feeling is the swollen nerve being blocked by a misalignment, irritating the nerve, impinging on it and the response is pain.  

Now, steps in the chiropractor who releases pressure on the impinged nerve, allowing it to send its signals properly, by aligning the vertebrae into their correct positions.  However, my muscles are used to the old positions and keep trying to pull them back, so it's a battle between my chiropractor resetting them to the correct places and my back trying to pull them to the old, bad places that are out of line.  Of course, you know who is going to win (and this is the important part!!!) - the chiropractor as long as I go back as scheduled getting the vertebrae put back into the right places.  The pain goes down, the muscles are retraining, and most importantly the interference the nerves were getting is reduced allowing them to recover, regrow and rejuvinate, sending full signals to the intended parts.  The treatment doesn't stop when the pain stops, that's when the treatment starts even more fervently!  You are now getting mobility when you didn't have any, the spine is healing, the nerves are sending full strength signals, the back is getting healthier!  Just like my incontinence - back's in the right places now, symptoms disappear!  And, with proper long-term care, slowly reducing visits to just maitanence visits, your consistent and proper care reduces to once a month or every two months or whatever frequency the doctor calls for.  And, most importantly, you have established the most important part - a good Doctor-Patient relationship.  It will benefit you all your life, and you are the best referral, the satisfied one!

While I was there Thursday, the doctor took xrays of my neck, 3 of them.  When I went back Monday, I had my first orthogonal alignment on his orthogonal table, the red one with the white base:

The doctor positioned me on my side, pulling my left arm down to lower my head onto the tilted pad, the top edge of the pad just under my left ear, legs bent.  He lowered the actuator arm so the long, thin probe was under my right ear, adjusting all the angles precisely. He snapped the actuator on my skin, it felt about like an eraser on a pencil faintly tapping me once.  That was it.  I rolled on my back and just had to lay there for about 10 minutes and rest.  He came back in and held my head in one hand as he felt my neck, then did it again and I rested again.  Then, he fitted me with a special cervical collar to keep my head upright, sold me a huge bottle of Ligaplex 1 capsules, taken 6x a day, and I was on my way.  I have to wear the collar 23.5 hours a day, just not in the shower, and while sleeping.  It is not uncomfortable, it helps take the pressure off my neck.

I went back again today and he checked my neck and adjusted my back, but my legs were straight to begin with, which up to not had not been, one leg was longer than the other before, which means my hips are coming in line, and that is why I no longer have pain when I walk!  I don't limp!  The adjustments are working, the ice is working, the doctor knows what he's doing with no pills or drugs!

The Ligaplex 1 capsules are not a medication, they're a non-prescription food supplement to help with muscles, ligaments and joints, all natural, no side effects other than smoother motion.  I also had to double my fish oil capsules from 2/day to 4/day.  Anything that will help my snap'n'cracklin' is always welcome!  Two weeks of drugs did nothing; 2 weeks of Chiropractic Adjustment and I feel great with no drugs!  Adjustments and Ice!   

Went back Thursday and got a regular back adjustment and he checked my neck; my orthogonal adjustment on my neck did not slip out, it stayed firm, aligning my atlas with the rest of my spine, opening up the bloodflow to my brain through the rear carotid arteries which pass through the Atlas, no difficulties found with it at all!  I don't have to wear the cervical collar unless I'm driving or out where there is a lot of neck movement.  I'm now down to 2 adjustments a week, from 3.  With each adjustment, my back gets stronger and stronger, pain level now down to an occasional twinge, proving it is healing!  My gait is normal, don't have to favor one side over the other and speed is improving also, about ¾ of 'normal' walking speed!  The nerves had been pressed on and seriously impinged for a long time until they'd gotten so degenerated they fought back the only way they knew how, to send out pain signals telling me that the undue pressure was killing them.  The spine adjusted back to where they weren't pinched, restoring health, and they reacted in kind; irritation removed, nerves allowed to heal, ice soothing them, reducing swelling, allowing them to get "Back To Health" and now transmitting the right signals; instead of pain, it's of returning to normal functioning!  

Again to repeat, the absence of pain does not mean to stop treatment, it is a sign of progress.  Less and less treatments will be needed over the long term to maintain the health of the back; and Dr. Michlin stated, he removes the roadblocks and the back will heal itself.  In 2 weeks I've gone from 100% pain to +/- 2% pain; I am totally overjoyed!  I can stand up without pain, I can sit down without pain, I can walk with a normal gait without pain!

Last edited:
Comments From Patients:

If this series helps even one other person to find relief from constant pain, then this justifies the reason to do this.  Chiropracty has received a bad rap over the years; both from bad chiropractors and what is viewed as 'voodoo medicine'.  It is a practice of good medicine and good nutrition and natural healing processes.  It is also found to be highly successful for migraines too.

Last edited:
WOW!  I've been able to sit here and work the Unanswered Section for over 2 hours non-stop!  For the last month-and-a-half the most I could do was 10-15 minutes before my back would stiffen and seize up!  But, time now to take a break!

Had an adjustment Thursday, back was pretty tender that night.  Woke up Friday morning and it was more stable, and by Saturday it had firmed up with almost no twinges or zings and by Sunday morning it was almost like the previous bout had never happened!  Except for one thing.  Suddenly I noticed and realized there was a marked change to the top of my right thigh.  It had been numb since my early 30's, I noticed it when playing golf with my boss one early Saturday morning (we met for 9 holes @ 5am Saturday morning before going into the office to do weekly recaps, etc.).   And, it's been that way ever since, until Thursday's adjustment!  I had complete feeling back, 30 years later!  Son Of A Gun!  Definitely have to tell the doctor today!  That nerve must have been pinched all that time!  Over 30 years!  And now, the adjustment released it and feeling came back!  Absolutely amazing!

Had a great adjustment today; told the Dr. about my thigh coming back to life after 30+ years; he just smile and reiterated, "I just remove the interference, your body does all the work and will heal!"  Then, after an Atlas Orthogonal adjustment, you are required to lay still and rest on your back for 10-15 minutes.  After about 5 minutes, all of a sudden I felt a hot flash down the right side of my spine, and could actually feel the vertebrae adjust themselves into line!  I was shocked!  It was like dominoes going down my spine!  I've never felt anything like it, but the doctor quickly recognized it and explained it was normal!  WOW!

Went Thursday, 10/11/12 (just had to find some excuse to use that date! 10 11 12.. lol!) and got another adjustment.  My neck stayed in-line, but my back was out a little; after the adjustment I could feel my walk and straightened out and absolutely no twinges!  The next morning (today) I was a little stiff, but that was normal.

I've entered into the second phase of healing; my back parts are now 're-training' to stay in a new configuration.  They have to be adjusted repeatedly to stay there, simple common muscle memory, just like training your arm to throw a football correctly.  Without constant practice, you lose that ability for your muscles to perform correctly time after time.  Same with my back.  By re-training my muscles to hold my bones in the right places, the nerves are no longer pinched and electrical signals can get to where they are going and not being interfered with.  Simply mechanical, so to speak!  Your circuit is running just fine when someone tosses a 50k resistor into it.  Wham!  That part of the circuit just reduced performance 65%!  You're limping on only 35% of capacity, like something caused your radio to suddenly cut down it's volume to an unacceptable low level!  As long as that resistor is in your circuit, you will only be at 35% capacity, never any more.  And, you begin to accept that as the 'new' normal.  Suddenly a new technician replaced the old one and is looking at you wondering why you're so weak?  He has the knowledge and experience to know it's not right and looks for the interference.  BANG! He sees it!  An unwanted 50k resistor lodged in your circuit and it causing that reduced atom flow.  YIKES!  Quickly, instead of drugging you or put you on an erroneous path of 'healing', he just plucks out that resistor and restores the full capacity of signal to go where its supposed to and KAPOW! your volume is full blast!  Just as simple as that, really!  You get your body aligned properly, then the nerves can do the work the way they are supposed to and you function normally!  Simple and just plain makes sense!

Last edited:
By the way, evidence has shown that the less additives are present, the purer the protein.  If you are looking for organically grown meat, one suggestion is www.eatwild.com - a website that guides you to farms and producers of locally grown meats and vegetables.  Check it out!

I am in the healing process and the adjustments are working!  as of my last checkup yesterday, I am "stabilized", I am walking normally now, little or no pain, my Atlas is now stable and in place for the last 3 visits, my back is in place!  Alarmingly good results considering the damage that my spine has endured over the years!  And, my whole spine is definitely more flexible; it moves when I move, it is been given back flexibility and life!  I don't know how to thank Dr. Michlin for all he has done for me; a month ago I was in severe pain, couldn't walk, and he fixed me with no drugs and got me off the pain pills I was taking!  Looking forward to once a week, then every other week, once a month, etc. as I heal and get Back To Health!  He just removes the interference so the body will heal itself.  He's not a Chiropractor, he's a Body Electrician!

Last edited:
A little dizzy today, didn't go to therapy class, didn't trust myself driving.  Think it was just overtired; did the buckboard bacon yesterday, didn't get any naps in, I was extra tired when I went to bed and slept through the alarm this morning.

But, my back and neck feel great, no limping, no twinges either!  

Pops, evening....   I have been following your progress..... sounds like you are almost a "SPRING CHICKEN".....LOL.....  

Now on a serious note.... I hear dancing with the stars is ready to run a "Seniors Special" episode..... I'm thinking of entering you..... who do you want as your partner ??  Or, do we have any volunteers out there on SMF.....

Pops, evening....   I have been following your progress..... sounds like you are almost a "SPRING CHICKEN".....LOL.....  

Now on a serious note.... I hear dancing with the stars is ready to run a "Seniors Special" episode..... I'm thinking of entering you..... who do you want as your partner ??  Or, do we have any volunteers out there on SMF.....
Hey Pops...glad you are doing so much better..

Dave..he will be along soon to tell ya he has had the same dance partner for a loooong time...

I was just thinking about this ...  we have been friends for close to 55 years..I am glad we are still going..

I still get a lot of laffs thinking about our shenanigans long ago...

Love ya pal!!

Won't be doing Dancing With the Stars for a while, lol!  Thanks, tho!

Yeah, we had lots of fun on our bikes, remember the trips to the beach, going down Smithville hill like banshees? lol!  Spend all day then had to go home up it?  lol!  Or go around it on the road that Beverly lived on?

Was that Green Settlement Road?

Beverly Smith?  Ward?  Can't remember, she had red hair and I had the hots for her for the longest time!

Went to the Doctor Wednesday afternoon, the day before Thanksgiving and delivered a cured and smoked turkey to he and his wife Nancy, who was there also.  He adjusted me, but my neck Atlas was holding good and same with my back, just a minor adjustment!  I'm down to once a week for a few weeks and as long as it's healing, may be he'll reduce it to every two weeks.  Now, just because it's healing doesn't mean for me to stop going.  It is far easier for him to give me minor corrections as needed than for me to stop, 6 months later I've reverted back to my prior state and have to start all over again!  Believe me, that's far more expensive than minor maintenance!

I feel so much better, my back is not tightening up so quickly like it used to.  There is still a lot of permanent damage from years and years of abuse and neglect.  Sometimes it can be a year or more from an initial injury before it truly starts 'bothering' you enough to go to someone and find out it's damaged.  Which of course I didn't do; as long as I was able to stand up I went to work.  My motto was, "As long as I could get to the phone to call in, I could go to work" - back when we had wall phones and not cell phones on the bedstand, lol!

But, there's no pain, the weakness is going away, the tenderness from healing, the stiffness of 'being out-of-place'.  He has truly done more for me in a few weeks than 5 months 5 days a week full time of physical therapy at Healthsouth who also tried in vain to correct these problems, even though not stroke related, with virtually no change whatsoever!

Another health care person with whom I've recently re-made contact with, in Arizona, and who works in a chiropractic office, sent me this link:

www.abcliveit.com

Check it out!

This is a awesome read pops,

I had the same metallity as you...Mind over matter was my motto..

I didn't think I'd use up this body quite so young, been going to my Chiro for 6 years...With A.S, Sheurmans vit. D deficient...bla bla bla My whole body has been Junk from age 40

I'm allergic to the Humira,cymzia, Enberel, etc shots tried them all...Side effects were worse than what was wrong with me..I guess what what I'm rambling on about is this...My Chiropractor  helped me the most, and costed the least...altho I learned from my Rhumatologist what to look for to know when I'm going to have an attack and that I was severely vitamin D defecient...average count of 6...Kinda funny...since a corpse has a number of 12 to 25..

I try to control it with diet, knowing my limits, and keeping adjusted

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Thank you, spec, for your contribution!  Yes, in the long run, a good Chiropractor is more effective with no drugs than a doctor and cheaper than one with tons of drugs too.

I'm going to Dr. Michlin every two weeks now, getting my Atlas put back in place if it goes out and minor back adjustments, nothing major any more.  My back feels so much better, I'm going for walks with a 90 lb dog (snoring next to me... gawd she's loud!).  He keeps my Atlas adjusted and keeps the anterior carotids fully open and not pinched!!  I had another stroke December 27th, right after Christmas; I was taking ibuprofen and sodium naproxin for my back; had been when it was bad and never stopped after starting treatment (if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality) and never realized that those medications, on a consistent basis, depleted the blood thinning effects of my blood thinners and caused another stroke.  Now, I am on regular aspirin and Tylenol Extra Strength ONLY.  More speech impairments, cognitive effects from it, am recovering from that now.

Went today and he adjusted my Atlas; as I laid there resting after the adjustment, I could feel my vertebrae, one after another, realign themselves correctly down my spine!  It is such an amazing feeling once adjustments have loosened them up and are no longer locked in place!  And, I sit down now and stand up and can feel them move individually, like they did when I was a kid!  Going for walks with the dog, I feel my hips tightening up I will bend backwards slowly, my back cracking, loosening, and relieving the stiffness and soreness, even relieving the strain on my hips;  just stopping 30 seconds each block does it and allows me to keep going!  I couldn't have done that 6 months ago no how!

Next app't Feb. 5th.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky