The One Ton MONSTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burnt

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Hi Ya'll !

I thought I would share some pics of my build. I've done a little smoking and figured out that I needed something a little bigger. About that time I was lucky enough to run across two and a half sheets of 3/8" plate steel for just a hundy bucks. I had some other 1/4" steel on hand and just started cutting. With no real plan it has just kind of grown into a monster, but I'm thinking it should work well. It's about 6"4" tall not including the smoke stack. The fire box is 24X24X16 that basicly tapers up into a peramid and into the smoke box  whichis 30X30X45. I havent got to the racks yet but am thinking I will do 5 lazy suzan revolving shelves in it.

Please feel free to express your critical opinons about it, if there is something that needs to be changed maybe it's not too late.

Thanks for looking! I will post more pics as it get stuff done  ;)

b48a20cd_thickdoor.jpg
abf39490_gravitylatchandhinges.jpg
9c55225f_inside.jpg
08daaace_FireBox.jpg

wow, now that is some fab work, Looks awsome, I am new to smoking so I couldn't really give you any good criticism.  But major congrats on a sweet looking monster.

Smoking in it should be Awesome! BUT THAT'S PRETTY ENOUGH TO BE BURIED IN!   Of couse finding enough Pall Bearers might be tough...JJ

I snuck in a little more work on this monster today when when the boss (wife) wasnt looking. This is the top being cut out on my Tourchmate CNC plasma machine, more progress to be posted soon.........

Here is the rotating shelve things being built. Basicly they will spin on a pole through the middle of the smoke box. I will build it so that it can be pulled out through the stack should it ever need fix'in. huopefully the hog juice will keep them lubed up ;)

I should end up with room for 5 of them....

I made the hubs with kind of a tab A into slot B deal

a quick little weld put it together

upside down

all done

Each shelve is 660 square inches. X5 = a total of 3300 Sq. Inches - Yee ha

:grilling_smilie:

what welder r u using...... looks like to be a 210 or better.... I'm in a build and have the hobart 187 but am using my miller suitcase with the trailblaizer for larger welds.......

Nice smoker unit..... will it be portable?

Joe

Waaaaay Cool!

Back up and take a few full pics of the smoker

This thing really is a work of art!

Todd

Nice looking rig!!!!   I really like it.

I'm gonna tip my hat your way, very nice fab work. And I love the TM table, would that be a 4x4? One day I will have the money and the space for a nice cnc table. (I Hope)

If you ever make another rig or get the urge to change it up a bit, I saw a really cool set-up for revolving shelves without the center post. He used more or less 3 bearings on welded studs at equal points in the pipe. Then he took a shelf similar to yours and rolled a ring to the outside dia and welded to the shelf. The bearings have a groove for the rings to rotate on. It looked really cool being able to have use of the full shelf and still have it rotate. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky