The Mud Pit II is born: 275 gallon reverse flow build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Got firebox opening cut and burning off the inside. Quite a bit of smoke, I'm a fire captain, so it's legal........maybe lol

Looks like I'm gonna have to pull out my wallet now, darn. Had an old feed bin from the farm that was gonna be great for the firebox. But after years in the barn don't look so hot. 4 by 8 sheet of 1/4 inch was 275. Yikes! Junkyard has for 40 cents a lb. bout half the price. Think I'm goin shopping at the scrap yard

And thanks to Dave I found out she's a 300 gallon tank. That Dave is sharp

I just bought a sheet of 3/8" yesterday for only $220.00, steel prices are going up, but thats way too high for 1/4"

Yea I called another place. Not many around us. Would of had to order it for me, with freight charge. Told him how much the junkyard was charging and said it was a great price. Junkyard price will be roughly $130. Think it's a no brainier. Oh, did I tell you we live in New York State?? Land where they hate my guns and everything is expensive

I use three different metal suppliers, depending on what it is, one will sometimes be twice the cost of the others. I think its all about what they normally stock. I can get 3/4" #9 flattened expanded metal for $41.50 from one place, and the other two want close to $80.00 for the exact same thing, but when I wanted 2" x 2" cold rolled, they both were cheaper than the one with the expanded metal.

Always pays to call around.

End of the day, wish I could have done more but I think I'm off to a good start. Also got an 8' section of 6" pipe for my dual stacks and 1" square tubing. That stuff will come in handy nicely. The plate is actually 5/16. 4 by 10" sheet, pipe and 12 length of tubing $278 - the $98 scrap credit. Not to shabby

And I have no idea why I'm double and triple posting the pics lol

And Dave, looking back at my specs it says I need 40" pipe 6" diameter. Am I correct I'm thinking you told me if I did a dual stack to have 2 of them 30" above tank for height??

And Dave, looking back at my specs it says I need 40" pipe 6" diameter. Am I correct I'm thinking you told me if I did a dual stack to have 2 of them 30" above tank for height??
+++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't know how you came up with "Dual 4" stacks 94" total"......

From post 2.....

I come up with a stack about 7" dia. about 30" + in length (minimum).... If you used 2 stacks thinking that would double the volume to equal 1 larger stack... 2 each 4" stacks is equal to 1 each 6" stack... It take 4 each 4" stacks to equal 1 each 8" stack.... also, using 2 smaller stacks, you have increased the surface area and friction loss.... not good in a smoker... friction will kill the air flow... Dave

4" dia. = 12.6" circ. .................................... 12.6 sq in
8" dia. = 25.1" circ. and 4 times the area.... 50.2 sq in

From post 5...

If you want a smoker that looks like a semi..... You will need 2 each 6" stacks 30" above the top of the cook chamber....

6" dia x 2 = 38" surface area per inch of height

8" dia = 25" surface area per inch of height

surface area to volume is something that needs to be considered when looking at stack efficiency......,

You will need 2 each 6" stacks 30" above the top of the cook chamber....

Just so we are on the same page...... Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky