The degree sign º

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

natdiamond

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Just for those interested, who don't already know.
This º symbol on a PC is made by holding down the alt button and typing 167 on the numbers keypad then releasing alt.

Also:
alt+0188 = ¼
alt+0189 = ½
alt+0190 = ¾

I need to use them more myself!
1¾ cups looks better than 1 3/4 cups.

Good advise Natdiamond. I have always just done it and didn't think about telling others how. Alt 167 or alt 03258 with get the degree sign.

Also other characters can be found in the Character Map... Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. Just click on the Character, click on select and when done click on copy then paste to the area needed. You can also see the keystroke command to get the character.

Ô¿Ô

¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºaltº¤ø,¸¸,øKeysø,¸¸,ø¤ ºROCKº¤

Probably because I think you need to use the number pad to the right. If your laptop doesn't have it, then you may need to use the character map.

Try this

Using the Numberpad on a Laptop Keyboard

Every laptop is going to be different, but this is how my HP is set up. To use the numpad, press and hold the FN key, and then press the F8 key at the top of the keyboard. You can tell it's the F8 key because of the small number pad icon, and when it is activated, the numbad icon on the top left of the keyboard is lit . Your keyboard layout may be different, but this might at least give you a clue where to look. The numbers are in the center of the keyboard.
To use this function for a copyright symbol, activate the numpad and then hold the alt key while typing 0169: © When you release the alt key your copyright sign appears.

My toshiba laptop has a keypad. I hope this helps!

EDIT:

I forgot to mention to try to hold the fn key down then do the alt + numbers on the aplphabetic keypad( basicly skip the f8 step)

Thanks glued2it. It was not exactly as you described, but I held the Fn key and touched the num lock key and then held Alt, typed 176 using the "number pad" and released Alt and look what magically appeared.

º

Thanks!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

think ill just stick with deg.i just figured out where the any key was
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

problem is, with those of us that has to use 2 people to start the computer (one to pop the clutch while the other one pushes), there is no character map in win98se

d88de

Dude it should be as I listed it above (even for 98)- Character Map... Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map

If you don't have it I wouldn't worry about it... you don't have Windows security updates either.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky