The CharGriller Owners Group Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
icon_biggrin.gif
Hi, hope ya don't mind if I join just a little early.

I have been pronised a  Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Grill & Smoker for an early Birthday/Christmas present, and just want to learn everything I can about it beforehand.

My name is Rachelle (PitBulMom) and my hubby and I live in Southern Utah. We have been married about 12 yrs and one of my favorite things to do is COOK! Doesn't matter what style, I'll give it a good try and mostly learn by my mistakes!

We have 2 Fur babies, Diva Dee an American Staffordshire Mix, and a PomChi named Tinkle.

Right now, I have a E-ECB that so far, I have done pretty well on with Ribs, Chicken and some smoked Pork Chops.

So, I hope you don't mind if I kinda hang out and try to learn all I can about how you all have perfected using a CharGriller!  Hope to make friends with all of you!

We don't mind at all Rachelle.  Most of us have lurked and read before we got a smoker.  I know I sure did.  LOL

Welcome to the group!

Rachelle,
Welcome to our obsession.. Have fun reading and learning and most of all sharing . We have all one thing in common, we love to help.
Use the search bar on the top of the page to find answers to most anything about smoking and preparation.
Explore the posts . And you will soon see how wide spread the smoke blows.. The U.K. , Australia, Canada, most of the world has joined the good ole USA in this obsession.. And now you are in...
Have fun and welcome

Thanks everybody! I have started a "shopping List" to get stuff to tweek my CG when I get it! 
yahoo.gif

Lets see...Welding Blanket

FireBrick

2 Thermometers

Any thing I am forgetting????   
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Good to see you, PBM! I believe I've seen a couple of your posts, so you're not exactly a "newcomer" [emoji]128578[/emoji]
I keep reading about welding blankets & CharGrillers. What's up with that? Sounds a little over the top..
Dan

Hi Smokey!

Yeah, Hubby promised me a new Smoker and I am studying/reading all I can about Mods that can be done.

The Welding Blanket is not only for Winter, but I live in a town named Hurricane, and it is named that for a good reason! We have winds blowing alot around here!

I have been all over SMF!  Having LOTS of fun, making new friends and learning a LOT!

Hi Smokey!
Yeah, Hubby promised me a new Smoker and I am studying/reading all I can about Mods that can be done.

The Welding Blanket is not only for Winter, but I live in a town named Hurricane, and it is named that for a good reason! We have winds blowing alot around here!

I have been all over SMF!  Having LOTS of fun, making new friends and learning a LOT!
I guess I just learned something! When the temps get below 40 I pack it up for the winter. No fun tending a smoker when you're freezing, but maybe I'll check out welding blankets.
This is the only on-line forum I have ever been in, and I'll admit it's a blast "talking" with folks from all over the country and the U.K.

Dan

Hi All......

Glad I ran across this main forum, and especially the CharGriller's Owners Group.  I have the gas grill with 3 main burners and  hot plate outboard burner.  I mounted the side charcoal fire box onto the gas grill, making it a horizontal smoker.  I fabricated a baffle plate to direct the smoke under the gas burners to the opposite end, and put an additional steel plate back across the top of the burner flame deflectors for use while smoking.  Since there are {2} chimneys, I lowered the chimney outlet on the firebox end down to the cooking grate, and put an adjustable damper in both  chimneys to gain complete air control.  I now have reverse smoke and air control in the whole cooking barrel.  When I use propane, I simply remove the top baffle plate which just lays on top of the flame deflectors, and I am in business as a regular grill.  I can also remove my charcoal basket, put the cast iron grates in the side fire box, and use the charcoal tray to grill there.  Additionally, I can light any or all propane  burners while smoking meat in cold weather to help maintain uniform temperature control.  I feel I have the very best available for a single unit!  I can grill a quick steak on the propane grill; grill a charcoal steak with a little more time involved, or, I can run the smoker for many hours, and I do them all at least weekly, year around!  I  do not have a great deal of temperature variations because of the steel baffle plates and excellent total reverse air flow.  I have matching thermometers on back order at the local hardware store for 7-8 weeks; when they arrive I suspect the temperature will show no variance in the barrel over 2-3 degrees!  I am debating about insulating the whole thing, but I don,t want it to look "trashy" or "patched-on"!  I smoked 4 pork loins at once this summer.  I don,t need any bigger grill-smoker than this.  And I could not wish for a better setup than this, even at over $1,000 or $2,000, and I only have $200 invested, including a new full propane tank!

Thanks for the welcome!

I have been into smoking since my grandfather introduced me as a child.  We butchered hogs and cattle off the farm in the fall, and smoked a lot of the meat.  This was in the early 1950,s, and I say "WE", because as a 5-6 year old, I had my own duties during butchering; very much as the Amish have lived to this very day.  Being in Southern Ohio in the Appalachian Hills, the farm had no electric or gas.  The smokehouse stood out back, just past the summer kitchen, near the dug root cellar. dug into a hill.  It resembled the outhouse; just only about twice as big.  I bought my Char-Griller 4-5 years ago after my home made one finally rusted out after 15 years.  I am still looking for a refrigerator from the 1930-40's with metal insides and a positive {real} latch handle; then, I could build the ultimate smoker!  My buddy just found a working Servel {gas} refrigerator, from the 1940,s last year, and had me make him a 2-keg beer tap out of it, with the beer tap coming out through the side.  It works great!!

Happy Smoking!

I am new to smoking; just completed my mods on a propane smoker which is my main smoker.  My primary grill is a CharGriller Outlaw Series.  I just picked up a SFB and installed it this weekend.  Looking to complete some mods on this unit to continue building my outdoor kitchen,  The grill is the best and will be a part of my arsenal for years.

37DC1B68-0180-4959-BB64-8F6524A0111D.jpeg
5DC7F8CC-1A8B-422F-B033-04966CC013A4.jpeg
Howdy! New to the group and to the Char-Griller! I used to smoke on a vertical ECB!

I live in El Salvador so I guess I’m the only one smoking around here, but good stuff is that I get to smoke with a lot of tropical fruit trees wood here (mango, guayaba, cashew, etc etc)

This is my first shoulder with my CG! Excellent!!!

I had such an excellent result that I can’t find a reason why to (and how to?) Seal the cooking chamber! But you’re the experts!

Reactions: thecheese
Welcome to the group Joe!

Sealing can help some with temps, but if it's working for you just fine, then don't worry about it. Cliff, the leader of this forum, hasn't done any mods at all to his C-G, and has been smoking some good food on his.

Thanks for all the tips ... new to smoking and just got a new CG Smokin champ md #1624 Haven’t fired it up yet but I’m already getting prepared for a few mods after reading for the last few days. I’m excited to find this forum , lots of great info. Thanks

Welcome Tim
I am a proud owner of a 5050(trio with firebox) for over 7 yrs.. learned how to smoke on it. I spray cooking spray on it and rub it down to keep the rust away
It’s a good unit. And after a few modifications I have the temp from one side to the other within 25 degrees.. although I have other smokers now , I still use her for cold smoking cheese, Bacon and lox

Reactions: Timlarmer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky