The 2015 Third Annual Michigan Get-Together (June 6th-7th)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

handymanstan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Lansing Michigan
@kingfishcam, @hillbillyrkstr   and I  are starting to put together the next get-together.

We are thinking the first weekend of June at Hillbillyrkstars “Way Out Ranch” In the Fowlerville area.

If you think you would like to join us this year please jump in and let us know.

We really don’t have a plan yet so any suggestions are appreciated.

Links to the last two get-togethers.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/159461/2014-michigan-get-together-july-19-2014

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/144211/michigan-q-gathering 2013

I hope to see some old friends and some new faces this year.

Stan

Last edited:
I just seen this and I had to bump it. I was jealous all of last year that I was not able to make it (for both the summer get together or the cheese smoke) but that's what happens when you have to work all the time I guess. That particular weekend the family wants to go to Grand Haven because it is right after school gets out. Just for grins, how far away from Grand Haven is the get together? I would love to meet some smokers in my neck of the woods and expand my knowledge.

Last edited:
I just seen this and I had to bump it. I was jealous all of last year that I was not able to make it (for both the summer get together or the cheese smoke) but that's what happens when you have to work all the time I guess. That particular weekend the family wants to go to Grand Haven because it is right after school gets out. Just for grins, how far away from Grand Haven is the get together? I would love to meet some smokers in my neck of the woods and expand my knowledge.
Hey Litterbug, I have family in GH and it takes me about a hour and a have to get there and it takes me about 25 mins to get to Rockstars so I would say you have about two hours travel time.

We changed the date so maybe you can come.

Cams talking Brisket and rockstar says camping over night is not a problem. You bring the tent.

Stan

Yeah cam said he's in for brisket and I'll be smoking a few shoulders, and some ABTs. Maybe something else to.

We are going to have the 2nd annual fattie competition (RobbQ won last years with a fattie stuffed with spam, horseradish cheese, and spinach if I remember right). Cams cousin brad also suggested a best dish compitition. Everyone who shows up and eats will cast a ballet for that one where the fattie comp will have special judges again.

My smoker won't run for 6 hours, let alone for 6 months.  What the...?   LOL

Deb and I will try to attend if possible.  Won't know until closer to date.

We sure did enjoy the last one!  Good people, visits, and food.

Cam/Stan/Scott,

Thanks for spearheading this effort! I'm always proud of the turnouts we get at these gatherings. So far I plan on attending but that is always a busy weekend for my family. Graduation, birthdays, and anniversays always seem to make the first two weeks of June so interesting.

I might try a corned beef brisket this year. I'll keep in touch as the months roll by. Also my calendar looks open for the Feb. 15th, so we can discuss more then at the cheese smoke.

Well hi-dee-hoo smoking brethren !

A nice shout out from rkstar gave me the heads up on link, and event. Thanks again bro!

As you know I had a bad end of year with loosing my father. And late November my Father-in-law. Was not a good year. Add in a friend and 2 cousins passing, I took time off to get stable again from most internet activities, this one included.

Now after a ruff beginning of year, things are overly busy but stable.

Now, guess what's in the box....

Yea, that's right... my secret new WINNING FATTIE!

Ohh boy, hard to choose which one I am going to submit if I can make this date without a graduation thing in the way.

I hope all of you are well. I need some men smoke and beer time. ( perhaps a women or too to fetch a beer )..lol

I will stay in touch on this. And for main course , well a new and improved version along side of some regular BACON ONION RINGS!

I will add a main course as well if needed for competition  or simply to chow.

Later guy's!

RobBQ...

At the cheese smoke we had an official meeting of the "Michigan Smokers Planning Commission Round table". (Cam and Scott were tipsy)

We are planning for anyone who might be interested in chipping in so that we can do a standing rib roast or two as a main meal item.

There will still be pulled pork or brisket and sides.  Plus the Fatty contest. (This year I think the fatty contest should be lunch.)     I also think smoked potatoes will go good with the prime rib.

If you want to come and bring a smoker and smoke something yourself or come and relax chip in and enjoy a standing rib roast feast the choice is yours. (We will need to know)

Once we get a number on those that want to have the standing rib roast we will order a bone apiece and get the cost per person.

June 6th is getting closer so it’s time to check your calendars and join in.

Hey RobbQ I am so looking forward to the onion rings.

Stan

Dang! June 6th is not good for me. That's our busiest weekend at the Hardware store.   Have a great time! I hope to make it in the future.

RobbQ's famous onion rings.....oh boy!

So far that weekend is still open and I'm planning on attending. I'll be smoking a corned beef. I'll chop some and slice some for a little variety. Of course the smoke mac and cheese will be there as well.

I'll see if I can rustle up Dave and my Bro for this one.

Somehow I must make it this year. Hell I work in fowlerville.....bad enough I missed the cheese smoke that I was very interested in....will talk to the wife

Just smoked my first corned beef humdinger, I make multiple trips a year to NYC for my work, in an attempt to replicate the famous Katz deli pastrami
I've been experimenting. Turned out killer,it was even better cold the following days. Only took a week of prep lol. O well, you gotta work hard to obtain this level of chubbyness.....

Well guys,

Turns out this IS the weekend of my sons graduation.

It is for most people I am sure.  So participating is most likely a no. Very upsetting. Sure wish it was in July again.

Oh man that is a bummer Robb.  We will miss you and your food but now someone else can win the fattie contest
biggrin.gif
.  Tell your son congratulations.  Maybe we will see you at the next cheese smoke.

Stan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky