The “other” other white meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
As a “not pork eater” (Orthodox Jew) but lover of BBQ, I have a question I’m hoping that my brothers (and sisters) in Q can help me with. It is my understanding that southern pulled pork is made from pork butt / shoulder, smoked, pulled, sauced, sandwiched, and gobbled down.

My question is simple, do you (that’s all of you out there who are experienced in such things) think that a veal shoulder would work? I’ve successfully used veal breast to make what I laughing call “Vacon”.

All thoughts, comments, insights, advise, inputs, and wise cracks are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

The problem with a veal shoulder would be fat. A pork shoulder has a whole lot of embedded fat that I’m not sure veal can duplicate. So, you’d need to find a way to avoid the shoulder drying out. I was going to suggest injecting and wrapping in bacon....but.....maybe your vacon? With a butter-infused injection?

Maybe chicken or duck legs? Brined, rubbed smoked and and shredded? Lamb or beef would certainly work, too, but will have a stronger taste. Chicken or duck legs might be closer to pork, and would have a level of fat that might mimic pork.

Starategically, I was thinking lower and slower might be help. I do like the idea of using my Vacon, but...my family ate it all up.

A lot better of guys have luck with chuck roast cooked and shredded,and sauced for killer sandwiches. I prefer mine sliced good luck.

You might just try looking for well marbled brisket points and going low and slow, taking them to an IT somewhere north of 205 so it shreds nicely. It would obviously taste like brisket but should have the fatty texture that I associate with PP. Addition of your favorite sauce should make a great sammie. Unfortunately for you the only thing that has the taste and mouth feel of pulled pork is pulled pork.

Cheers!
Jared

I’ve done beef, poultry, and lamb. All delicious, but not what I imagine pork to be. I think it’s lighter than beef or lamb and heavier / richer than poultry. Of course I’m only going by pictures. My thinking is that veal being a lighter meat like pork, looks like it would absorb tons of flavor from rub / smoke. And texture-wise they look similar. I guess this wil only be resolved by a trip to the butcher.
Thanks for the input.

Sorry to disapoint but there is nothing like pork. I thought you were looking for similar texture/mouthfeel....those can be matched....but not the taste.

Reactions: chopsaw
I am, actually have no idea about the taste. But, you’re right I am thinking texture mouth feel.

Brine cured chicken thighs make a great pulled sandwich .
i agree. i like brined thighs or quarters and they make great pulled sammies. just brine or inject and then smoke it to IT of 170-175 and then put on some gloves after it cools and shred with your hands. add sauce and you are good. you can do something similar with a chuckie but I'm not sure if that cut is kosher. hope this helps.

Happy Smoking (Kosher),
phatbac (Aaron)

Personally I prefer Pulled Smoked Beef over Pulled Pork.

Bear

Same for our family. Then again maybe it has something to do with our extended family being in the cattle business. Hard to beat a whole Chuck roll for a ton of shredded beef! Otherwise I would second using chicken thighs. Good luck!

Reactions: chopsaw
In case your interested in the thighs. I did these last weekend . Pop's brine this time 1/2 cup measure on the salt and sugars , and Tbls cure 1 for 48 hours . These were for sandwich meat , cold , black pepper and mayo . I've done it smoked and ate like pulled pork . Looks like this ,
cured.jpg

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky