Test Burn New Pizza Cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

damascusmaker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2015
North East Tennessee
Picked up the oven on clearance at Cabela's. It was meant to sit on a propane flat top cooking station in place of the flat top. I made an adapter plate to fit it to a weber kettle. Burning the new off it, seems to be ready for a pizza.

Looks cool! If you need a Stone, search Kiln Tile. Same stuff but comes in a large range of shapes,thicknesses and sizes. About half the cost too...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks All,

Tried it tonight, there'll be a learning curve. I'll be cutting a door behind the oven (I think there is barely enough room) to drop some chunks/chips in as the pizza goes on. This time I had too many toppings and got the bottom more done than I like and the top less than I like. 

Another attempt, (Pulled Pork and Pineapple) showing the access hole and plug to add chips and chunks as needed. Nailed the bottom this time using a non-pre-heated cast pan. Still didn't get the browning on the toppings. The last photo shows half after about a minute and a half in the home oven on broil. 

The electric element didn't prove to be much of an improvement.

Here are results of the latest modification. I removed the element and put in an aluminum drop ceiling. I think this is close to what I'm after. 

The pizza is dough from a local shop, hand made pepperoni from a different local wood fired pizza place, mozzarella, my homegrown basil, and light minced garlic and jalapeños and light parmesan. 

The aluminum plate was around 500 when I put the pizza in on cast iron pan. Cooked for 8 to 9 minutes. Dumped a handful of orange chips and apple pellets in the hole at the back for a little flame, as the pizza went in.

It was really good: 

I have the Weber Kettle Pizza oven, and had the same issues with the top of the pizzas.  After making pizzas in the kitchen oven and in the Weber Pizza oven, I've found that you need a heat reflective surface no more than 6" above the top of the pizza.  4" works nicely.  In my Kitchen oven it was easy to move the top rack closer to the top of the oven.  In my Kettle Pizza Oven I put a second grate in the top of the Pizza oven attachment, then put a round 15" paella pan on the second grate.  The bottom of the paella pan gives me the heat reflective surface I needed.   You could probably fabricate something for the inside of your Pizza oven.   

Last edited:
Yeah Nb, that's what I figured out too. You can see the aluminum plate through the vent holes in the last photo. Next experiment might be raising the grate to get the pizza about an inch closer to the plate.

Thanks Nb, 

I'm still chasing the ultimate pizza. Getting closer each time. One thing for sure, the pizzas I've been making lately are a step above any pizza I've ever had out. I've tried a couple of wood fired places lately and been disappointed.

I've thought about a masonry oven but I'm not ready with a proper shed for my outdoor cooking stuff yet and I simply don't have time to build up the heat when I want 1 pizza. The rig I'm using now is almost as fast as the kitchen oven and so much better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky