Tender Quick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Success. Found some TQ!!!!!!!
There were several suggestions about the Co-Op Grocery Store that I decided to check it out. First Co-Op I tried (Barrhead Ab) had it in stock, sitting with the rest of the salt.
Thanks everybody.
Gary

Morton tender quick contains 2/3 (66%) salt, 1/3 (33%) sugar and a 1% Sodium Nitrite/Sodium Nitrate mix (50/50)

Below is the latest I have on Morton's salt products... Smoky Bacon, where did you get your numbers, and will you please provide a link to that information....

Morton's Ingredients.png

Well, unless you have documentation, I wouldn't put it in print... Folks trust what is noted on this forum... Misinformation can do harm.... Don't assume... the information I posted is from Morton's....
Do NOT delete what you posted... This forum is intended to educate folks... If information is not allowed to be judged, we don't learn anything...
You can add comments to it... add an explanation or 2....

You noted how to make your personal TQ substitute... Please provide the %'s of nitrite and nitrate in the mix... along with the actual concentrations of nitrite/nitrate in the Prague#2... different manufacturers have different concentrations of nitrate in their #2 cures....

Curing Salt - Cure #2
This is curing salt #2, which is used in dry cured and fermented meat products that are not meant to be cooked. Cures cannot be used interchangebally, so do not use #2 as you would a cooked product with #1.
Our new 2018 packaging is beautiful, and the jars come hermetically induction sealed under the cap to preserve the quality of the product.
Contains:

Sodium Nitrate (6.40%), Sodium Nitrite (6.20%), and Salt (87.40%)
https://www.butcherspantry.com/
Ingredients:
Sodium Nitrite (6.25%), Sodium Nitrate (1%), Sodium Chloride, Red Fermented Rice Colour
http://www.melbournefooddepot.com/buy/pink-salt-cure-2-powder-100g/PS0020
https://delishably.com/meat-dishes/...a-Cure-2-Understanding-Which-You-Need-and-Why
  1. Instacure 1 and Prague powder 1 are the same, as are Instacure 2 and Prague powder 2.
  2. Instacure 1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt.
  3. Instacure 2 contains about 6.25% sodium nitrite, about 1% sodium nitrate, and about 92.75% salt.
    https://delishably.com/meat-dishes/...a-Cure-2-Understanding-Which-You-Need-and-Why

https://www.sausagemaker.com/insta-cure-no-2-4oz-p/11-1014.htm
A cure specifically formulated to be used for making dry cured products such as pepperoni, hard salami, genoa salami, proscuitti hams, dried farmers sausage, capicola and more. These are products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. Insta Cure™ No. 2 can be compared to the time release capsules used for colds--the sodium nitrate breaks down to sodium nitrite and then to nitric oxide to cure the meat over an extended period of time. Some meats require curing for up to 6 months. InstaCure #2 contains salt, sodium nitrite (6.25%) and sodium nitrate (1%).

Use 1 level teaspoon per 5 lbs. of meat. 4 oz. of Insta Cure™ will process approximately 120 lbs. of meat.

I just bought 10 lbs of TQ and I had to pay $12.50 per bag, so $6.25 per lb.

my only concern if I were to try making my own is the mixing issue.

to get it right, you'd really need to dissolve it, then dehydrate it back to crystalline form.

I would not trust any large amount to stay mixed over time.

For me, the extra cost is a small price to pay to ensure safety when using a "Dry Brine" curing style.
And if there is any question, I can revert back to a wet brine!

Smokey Bacon did you read the "advisory" on the cure #2 labels ????

This is curing salt #2, which is used in dry cured and fermented meat products that are not meant to be cooked

I don't understand the fantasy of making "home made" TQ...

Why not make "home made" cure#1 mix...

80 grams kosher salt...
45 grams white sugar...
11 grams of cure#1...

the above mix returns 136 grams of cure mix good for 10#'s of product .... When used at 13 grams per pound, it yeilds approx. 151 Ppm nitrite.... 2% salt and 1% sugar.....

I just bought 10 lbs of TQ and I had to pay $12.50 per bag, so $6.25 per lb.
my only concern if I were to try making my own is the mixing issue.
to get it right, you'd really need to dissolve it, then dehydrate it back to crystalline form.
I would not trust any large amount to stay mixed over time.
For me, the extra cost is a small price to pay to ensure safety when using a "Dry Brine" curing style.
And if there is any question, I can revert back to a wet brine!

I totally agree with Nanuk. (above)

Plus I will add, "Since most of the people who avoid using TQ because it contains Nitrates, instead of only Nitrites, why would anyone mixing their own curing mix be adding Nitrates at all?"

I'll keep buying my TQ, at about $4 or $5 per 2 pounds.
That 2 pounds of TQ will cure 64 pounds of Bacon & Dried Beef, or 128 pounds of Sausage.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky