Tell me how to do this in a WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My AMNPS will be here tomorrow!

I plan on smoking some cheddar maybe some Swiss and something else but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, what do I need to know? How long do you let the cheese rest? What is this about oil or condensation on the cheese? How long until I seal it?

I use my AMNPS (I have the original sawdust one) to do all my cold smoking in my WSM. As others said no charcoal, light the AMNPS, put the cheese in for about 3 hrs. Fridge unwrapped overnight, vacuum seal it, and rest it for about 2 weeks. Then your good to go!

You can also pick up cheap vacuum sealers on craigslist a lot of folks buy them, hardly use them, then sell them for cheap.

FYI, Costco has a real basic Food Saver branded vac sealer for $49.99 right now.

I am guessing it is pretty basic, but for $50, it might be worth a try.

FYI, Costco has a real basic Food Saver branded vac sealer for $49.99 right now.

I am guessing it is pretty basic, but for $50, it might be worth a try.
I have had that one for at least 10 years of heavy use and it is still working. You have to keep it clean. It came with a bunch of rolls of material when I got mine in the last decade.

I bought a cheap Seal-a-meal  seems to work OK

Gary

So if I don't have the AMNPS I can just use a couple briquettes and whatever wood on top?

I'm on PA and its fairly cold. Will this be enough to smoke the cheese?
whatever wood.... i would look at lighter/sweeter  woods such as apple , peach etc. to start. the woods used really depend on your personal tastes. everyone likes their smoke/flavor at different levels. keeping good notes/records will help in future smokes.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky