TASTEE SUBSTITUTIONS????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spec

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Back in Minnesota
Barb went on a diet last year and dropped almost 100 Pounds...That weight got packed on due to my cooking and her only eating 1-2 times a day...I didn't beleive in substitutions IE low fat cheese,skim milk, LITE BEER ect...ect

For me It was real cream, cheese,whole milk you know the drill...But I was blessed with a high metabolism and able to burn off the cholesteral So I could eat whatever whenever I wanted with no ill effects...ANY WAY

A few things that I have adapted

Greek yogurt instead of Sour cream...If you toss a little oregano, basil, Onion, and Garlic powder in it 99% of people I tested it on couldn't tell the difference between that and sour cream as a condiment on their food...

Salads...I still will not eat Lite salad dressings YUK YUK YUK It's Bleu cheese for me or I aint eating that damn rabbit food...Just kidding I love salads but they do have to have a good dressing, I make My B/C from scratch using a 50/50 mix of the Greek yogurt and mayo instead of all mayo. Buttermilk, Ranch seasoning mix, Resaraunt grade not the packets, plus extra garlic,onion, Spec pow, and parsley flakes... but I do add almost 1/4 by volume Bleu cheese..I know this doesn't sound real healthy But tastes way better and I use only about 1/2 as much as I did with the store bought stuff and am satisfied

One thing I think alot of people overlook in salads is the greens themselves... Kale, Spinach, and Romain lettuce are so much better for you than iceburg lettuce...Cellery, Tomato, Onions, and carrots are my favorite additions if your a bacon bits fan they take care of the chew thing that baco's (Chopped lean B.B Bacon for us) used to add to it...

Sorry my finger stiffened up.. More later if anybodys interested

Keep it comeing . This is right up the yawye . Doc told me I need to lose weight. So all the tricks I can find that taste good . Thank you. The next time you make up some mesure and share.

Sounds good. You actually got me hungry for healthier food. I will definitely try the greek yogurt trick. Since theres a brand that shares my last name n all maybe I can get a family discount. :33:

Hot H2o and Epsom soak

here we go

For the Bleu Cheese Dressing

1 Cup Butter Milk

1/2 Cup Greek yogurt  I like Oiko and Chobani...They are available locally and aren't as sweet as   some others

1/2 Cup  Mayo You can use Kraft Real, Hellman's lite or I like the Baker's and Chef's heavy...To keep it on the lighter side ...Prolly use the Hellman's lite

3 TBS  Hidden valley Ranch seasoning mix

A Pinch or 2 of Garlic powder or Granulated Garlic (I prefer Granulated )

A Pinch of Onion powder

2 TSP Parsley flakes

A Pinch or 2 of Spec Pow...My custom blend of peppers and spices...Pm me if you want a sample

OPTIONAL     SMALL PINCH of Celery powder...Not seeds but Powder

Might want to take a look here      

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/115008/alternatives-to-store-bought-spices

Whisk the ingredients together in a bowl

I like But I forget the name and I'm out of it right now...But it's the Bleu Cheese in the 1/2 gallon tubs at Sam's club

I use wide mouth Mason jars ...Cuz the wides are easier to wash out

Put between 1/4 to 3/4 cup of Bleu Cheese on the bottom of the jar Dump in the mix to 1/2 full...SHAKE THE CRAP OUT OF IT Top off the Jar and re shake

For Ranch just skip the Beu Cheese

As far as the Salad part goes...We have all been to a salad bar so this may sound stupid to some

Here goes anyway

I'm a lifelong fan of loose leaf and Romain lettuce...Iceburg will do in a pinch but has way less nutrients and not much flavor

I like a 1/3 -1/3 -1/3 mix of Romain, Spinach, and Kale or Pak choy leaves (Cut the stems out) If not in season 3/4 Romain and 1/4 spinach or Kale/Pak choy

Julienned or grated Carrots...Not cross cut...Makes for better chewing and they don't all end up on the bottom of the bowl...45* angle cut Celery 1/4" or less then they aren't as stringy or strong, 1/2" diced Tomato and Onion...This is meaty enouph that I usually don't put Bacon its on it...(I love fine chopped T-N-T Jalapeno BB bacon)

For Those who Don't like Creamy Salad dressings I've been working on some alternatives to Catalina and French As well as a line of Pepper Dressings ...We eat Salad every night...Boring right?

YOU WOULD BE TOTALLY SURPRISED HOW CHANGING UP THE DRESSINGS MAKES SALADS MORE TOLLERABLE

Looks-Great.gif
I'm eating a salad right now and you are still making me hungry........

I forgot...

The top the tater switcheroo goes pretty much as follows Altho this is just a baseline flavor to your own tastes

20-24 oz Greek yogurt

1 TSP onion powder coarse ground

1/2 TSP Garlic Powder...Granulated is good too

1 TSP Spec pow

1 TBS  Dried Chives or fresh if you got them

Pinch of Oregano

Pinch of basil

OPTIONAL... Up to 1/4 cup Minced fresh Onion

Now this is on the mild side I just didn't want to overpower it before you got to try it

Mix well and Put in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours best if overnight. Re stir and serve

Anybody tried these yet?

Sorry about the Hiatis...Decided to sell my tractor and an old Ulcer resurfaced dealing with the A-HOLES ON CRAIGSLIST

Cooking up some stuffed Chicken breasts tonight...

I'll have some pix in the morning...Really tastee...and really good for you...but I gotta upload pix...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the wait again...I didn't make it to supper last time...Smoked up 46# of  T-N-T a nd Apple Bacon today...amd down loading the memory card I had these pix.

Here's how they go

3 large Chicken breasts...Almost Filleted leave 1/2" from 3 sides...Remenber your stuffing them

1 Pkg low fat Cream cheese

2/3 cup onions finely diced

2/3 cup celery finely diced

1/2 cup Fresco cheese grated...or Grated parmasean cheese...not the Kraft stuff unless your desperate

1/2 cup finely chopped Broccoli and Cauliflower if you like

1/2 cup chopped fresh Shrooms...OR rehydrate some dried ones...3/4 of a cup before rehydrating

2 TBS dried parsley

1-1/2 TSP granulated Garlic

1 TSP Black pepper

1/4 TSP of SPEC POW

Pinch of oregano

Pinch of Basil

Pinch of salt...

EDIT........I forgot the best part...But is optional...BACON Apple is Barb's favorite, but I like T-N-T (my Jalapeeno ) for more kick

How much you add is up to you

Next set the mixture aside and beat  an Egg well with a sqirt of lemon juice...

Using a Tablespoon to press the mix into the chicken breasts...Be carefull not to overstuff...I like to stull about half-full and press with my palms...then finish stuffing

Dredge the breasts in the Egg wash ...I like to mix plain Panko, and Italian seasoned panko...BREAD CUMBS if you don't have Panko...

It takes about 1/2 cup or so of each

Place the breasty's on a sprayed cookie sheet...

Bake for45 minutes at 375*...The last 5- 7 minutes I like to really toast the crust on BROIL

Last edited:
Shrooms will have to wait a few days...All the pix were blurry...

Here's a a chicken favorite I really like chicken fingers, But, fried foods are out of Barbs diet so Icameup with this pne

Sesame chicken

Baked instead of deep fried..

Served over a bed of Stir fried Cabbage/Celery/Onions/Broccolli/Carrots, and Spinach

Here goes...

1st mix up the Marinade

1/2 cup Saki

1/2 cup soy sauce Prefferably Kikomans or Kikomans low sodium soy

1/2 cup worcestershire  (wort)

1/2 cup Dr.Pepper soda pop

1 TBS Corn Starch

1 TBS RedPepperflakes

1 Tsp Onion powder

1 Tsp Garlic powder

1 Tsp Spec pow

1/4 Tsp Ginger powder or 1/2 Tsp of fresh grated

1/4 Tsp Chinese 5 spice

OPTIONAL Finely chop a Japapeeno pepper

Whisk till Corn Starch is well dissolved and mixed well

Divide in half...2 bowls 1/2 is for chicken and the other is for the Cabbage-veggie mix

3 large chix Breasts trimmed of fat and grissle (set the trimmed fat and Grissley stuff aside) slice at 45* about an inch thick,

Trim the membrain that separates the loin from the rest of the breast see the pix below (If using large breasts, I cut them to about 2 1/2" long)

Toss them in the Marinade and soak for at least 4 hours...Overnight is best for full flavor

CABBAGE BEDDING

4 cups Cabbage sliced at 3/8 to 1/2" thick

2 Cups Celery sliced @ 45* 1/4" to 1/8" if capapable

2+ Cups Broccolli flowerettes Cut into singles

1 1/2  Cup Julienned carrots

1 1/2 - 2  Cup(s) Onions cut into 1 -2" slabs the 1/6thed

Optional...1 Cup Shrooms 1/4 ered...I'm out of Shrooms so none inthe pix

Toss  Carrots/Onions/Shrooms/, and Broccoli into Marinade for 10 mins to 1/2 hour Dump onto a plate then put Cabbage and Celery into Marinade

While the Veggies are Marinading

mix up the Sesame mix for the chicken...

1 Cup all purpose white Flour

1/2 Cup Wheat Flour... Or all wheat if you like whole wheat flour

1 TBS Corn Starch

3 TBS Sesame seeds

1 Tsp Parsley flakes

1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder

1/2 Tsp Onion Powder

1/2 Tsp Black Pepper

1/2 Tsp Spec Pow

Preheat oven to 375* Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non stick cooking spray

Dredge the chicken in the Sesame mix and place on the pan so not touching Then drizzle with EVOO

Bake for 10 minutes, then switch to broil till browned, Turn over and give a few more minutes

Preheat a wok or Large cast iron pan and toss in the 1st batch of Veggies...( put the Cabbage and Celery in the Brine...Give them a couple of minutes of stirring and flipping...Toss in the Wok Cabbage/ Celery and remaining Juice...While they are cooking you may want to mix up a table spoon of Corn starch to make some extra gravy... It may be thick enough as it cools and thickens on it's own 

Spoon on some ove the fairly spicey gravy...Mines getting cold  as I type so give it a try

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky