SV 24" mod help please!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

delearyous

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Hi all, I just received my 24" vault. and I have read so much on so many different propane smokers I decided to get this one and put it together last night. 

I have not seasoned it yet..

I have 2 questions:

1. I am going to place the gasket around the door. seems like the "trendy" thing to do.. ha

What brand? Lavalock, fireblack, other? self adhesive or no? Or should I go plane silicone RTV?

2. I am jumping in and getting a needle valve set up? Bayou sells 10 psi..I also see other brands selling 20 psi and 30 psi.. Does it make a difference? What psi should I go with?

Thank you in advance and look forward to seeing your answers.

Delearyous

Dom't know about the door seal. Smoke Vault was a front runner when I was researching smokers (decided on MES). What I noticed there were fewer people talking about mods on them than pretty much any other gasser. You might not need to seal the door. Take a wait and see.

As for the needle valve, it appears you are looking at regulators with a built in in-line needle valve. If that is the way you want to go, call Camp Chef and ask for the spec on the regulator.

I think most SV'ers just go to the hardware store and buy a needle valve rated for gas and some fittings. Cut the line and install.

Reactions: delearyous
I don't know if you are new to smoking, but I am. Why not just season the thing and try using it as it came from the seller? I bought a little portable smoker and just started trying different recipes. Some things worked, some didn't. I actually have the smaller Smoke Vault on the way now. I understand wanting to make the thing as perfect as possible, but I wouldn't have the patience. When mine gets here I will have food smoking in it ASAP. 

Reactions: delearyous
I have had a SV 24 for several years.

Yes it leaks around the door, but I have used it hundreds of times & it puts out some good Q.

It is totally unmodified, I'm using it just like the day I got it together.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky