summer sausage!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lol you didn't, dirtsailor is completely correct in making sure you are getting the whole story. We are playing with some potentially dangerous substances (raw meat and cure powder both are pretty dangerous in their own right). He is making sure we (okay, me) don't lead you astray. These guys are pros, some with hundreds of smokes and thousands of pounds of meat worth of experience. Its possible he just saw my half-arse answer and, knowing all the stuff he knows, was right to step in.

BTW, I have 5 kids, I know how distracting it can be to type and yell at the same time lol!!!

I add cure even to fresh sausage. Never know how I might cook it.

Ahh got it I will head down to the market n try to find those curing ingredients..thank you everyone, so ya think the curing stuff will cure the meatloaf syndrome

Ahh got it I will head down to the market n try to find those curing ingredients..thank you everyone, so ya think the curing stuff will cure the meatloaf syndrome
Highly unlikely you will find the cure at a local market. If you have a butcher that makes his own cure you must really trust him.

IMHO it would be better to buy cure #1 from one of the listed places. Unsure of cure can lead to nitrate/nitrite poisoning. Your call

Where we used to live the butcher shop there used to sell all the the sausage stuff to make your own sausage. Prague powder, casing, spices, all of it. I really miss that place. They would sell you any cut of meat you could think of if you gave him enough time to get it in. I now have no place like it around here now that I am actually making this stuff. He didn't make his own cure, I didn't know it was possible. The only stuff he carried other than Prague powder was those packets you can buy with seasonings and all that. The internet is the only way to get cure powder around these parts. I think a lot of places quit selling it because it can be very toxic in the wrong quantities.

Where we used to live the butcher shop there used to sell all the the sausage stuff to make your own sausage. Prague powder, casing, spices, all of it. I really miss that place. They would sell you any cut of meat you could think of if you gave him enough time to get it in. I now have no place like it around here now that I am actually making this stuff. He didn't make his own cure, I didn't know it was possible. The only stuff he carried other than Prague powder was those packets you can buy with seasonings and all that. The internet is the only way to get cure powder around these parts. I think a lot of places quit selling it because it can be very toxic in the wrong quantities.
We have a butcher here that sells everything you need for making sausages.  He also holds sausage making classes from time to time. Next time I need casings I will go to him for them, The cure is quite expensive at his place so I buy it online.

I guess I should have been more specific its a meat market they process all there own beef n pork ect, they also have a smoke facility where they make all there jerky n sausages ect, like I said idk anything about curing meat its a totally new ballpark for me, it was the first I hesrd of needing these chemicals, im positive once I obtain all this and get a extremely accurate set of instructions and a recipe I will be ok, just dont wanna go messing with stuff like that blindly, I didt mean they made there own cure either lol I meant I figure they would have the stuff or be able to get it for me, the stuff you guys suggested. ?again thank you

You can make your own cure. You do need to know EXACTLY what you are doing as it can be deadly. YOU MUST USE FOOD GRADE. NOT EXPLOSIVE GRADE.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DONT KNOW
[h3]Saltpetre[/h3]
Potassium Nitrate KN 03

This must be used with the utmost caution. When measuring Saltpetre scales accurate to 1 gram must be used.

You can make your own cure. You do need to know EXACTLY what you are doing as it can be deadly. YOU MUST USE FOOD GRADE. NOT EXPLOSIVE GRADE.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DONT KNOW
[h3]Saltpetre[/h3]
Potassium Nitrate KN 03

This must be used with the utmost caution. When measuring Saltpetre scales accurate to 1 gram must be used.
oh wow i didnt know you could do that!!!  frankly I am quite happy to buy it from someone who knows how lol.  though exploding sausages could be interesting hahaha just kidding :)  Geez, Nepas you are an encyclopedia, thank you for all your wisdom you've shared!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky