summer sausage!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

areallynicegirl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Cottage Grove, Oregon
[ATTACHMENT=2093][ATTACHMENT=2094]tmp_16689-052815183396732179.jpg (601k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]
Here is the new sausage stuffer lol. It works great for the 5 lbs of meat I had, but I would never do this if iI had 50lbs to do. I added a tsp of Prague powder #1 to this mix.
[ATTACHMENT=2095]tmp_16689-0528151834410709410.jpg (669k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
I cut the bottom off of the funnel. The casings fit perfectly. The mix in the bowl looks terrible in the pic. Its really not that bad.

[ATTACHMENT=2096]tmp_16689-0529151214-1905429832.jpg (630k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=2097]tmp_16689-0529151214a-1118086160.jpg (739k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Now the sausage is in the fridge drying out a little, I mixed it last night and packed it this morning.

Fingers crossed everyone!!

Nice looking sausage   I like it !!
points1.png

Gary

Well here it is.......

[ATTACHMENT=2106]IMG_20150530_003835.jpg (610k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

The casings have some good color but now are all wrinkled up and ugly :( I hand stuffed these so I think that could be some of it, also maybe the fat rendered too much?

[ATTACHMENT=2107]IMG_20150530_004151.jpg (421k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Interior- they look pretty, taste pretty good. I probably should've waited til morning to taste but I was dying of curiosity.

Hubby gave his approval!

As long as it tastes good that's all that matters. Some of it may have to do with the fact that you didn't get them filled as tight. What temps did you smoke a at and what internal temp did you take the sausage to? Did you water bath in ice water after pulling from the smoker?

The sausages went to 150. As far as smoking temp all I have is a little chief that is stock out of the box. I have a good thermometer but the stupid battery was dead and I didn't know that until iI tried to use it at 10 last night. We live way out of town so I can't just run to the store when I want. So iI have a little analog instant read I used to temp the sausage but wasn't super useful to temp the box. After hubby gets paid we talked about getting a nice digital to keep an eye on the box. Also, I didn't have any ice but I did water bath them, and then I put them in the fridge. I stuck a pan of water in the freezer to try to chill it as much as possible and then put the sausages in that. Again, didn't realize I didn't have any ice before it was too late and we kick it old school around here- no ice maker lol. Couldn't run iinto town just for ice so had to roll with iit.

I was glad to have a small batch to work all those kinks out on and now I feel like i have a better idea of how I want to set up and what iI need to have ready to go.

all it matters is taste and texture. the wrinkling is probably from packing in some air also while stuffing, maybe a bit high temp getting some fat-out, bu if the taste and texture is good, who cares?

well done for macgyver'ing a solution that worked for you!

all it matters is taste and texture. the wrinkling is probably from packing in some air also while stuffing, maybe a bit high temp getting some fat-out, bu if the taste and texture is good, who cares?

well done for macgyver'ing a solution that worked for you!

Thank you! The taste and texture were great. In fact, we went to a grad BBQ after church for all the seniors (including my oldest son!!!) And we came home exhausted so we had sausage and cheese for dinner! It was pretty good!

I have basically a zero budget right now, the tranny went out in my Windstar so we are saving cash for a suburban that will haul the kids and pull the camp trailer. So I feel like I can do my part since iI stay home by figuring out ways to be resourceful with what the Lord graciously provides.

Ed, yes!!! My first sausage! It was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to more!
Thank you for your kind words!

Patti

Reactions: tjmitche
That's awesome! I went without making sausages for a few weeks because I hated stuffing with the meat grinder so much that I decided not to do anymore until I got a proper stuffer. Now I feel like a complete wimp... you're using a plastic funnel and smiling while you do it. Nice sausages!

Nice job, nice girl!!!! Great firsts for sure you will get the hang of it. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

Just got it recently built mansion of a smokehouse cant figure out why my summer sausage turned out like meatloaf gotta be simple fix...been grillen for the last fifteen years but its my first smoker...had a couple temp issues too...idk if im posting on the rite part of the site...first post just joined forgive me lol

Did you use any cure #1? Welcome BTW! Go to the Roll Call board and introduce yourself :)

If you post your recipe and process as a new thread you will get tons of help from these guys!! Everyone here is so awesome about sharing what they know!! I've only done sausage a couple times but I learned a lot in the process.

Welcome to SMF!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky