Summer Sausage (unstuffed)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
My first Summer Sausage:

When I got my LEM stuffer, the best buy I could find was the 5# stuffer, with a whole sausage stuffing kit. 

One of the things in the kit was a premix for 10 pounds of "Backwoods" Summer Sausage. It came out real good. I would do it again, but I would add something for more flavor---I just don't know what yet. I guess I have to do some experimenting. Don't get me wrong--it was real good, probably the best Summer Sausage I ever had, but it could have been better.

Basic Recipe:

MES 30

All Hickory Dust

No water in pan.

Exhaust vent open full.

130˚ with No smoke for 1 1/2 hours.

130˚ with smoke for 3 hours.

150˚ with smoke for 1 hour.

160˚ with smoke for 1 hour.

170˚ with smoke for 2 1/2 hours.

180˚ with No smoke for 2 hours.

190˚ with No smoke for 1 hour, when they were all over 165˚ internal.

Here it is below:

Also testing an A-MAZE-N-SMOKER prototype:

a6922b87_DSC01337.jpg

Ten pounds of hand rolled Summer Sausage after 1 1/2 hours drying. Just put AMNS in.:

04c160fb_DSC01340.jpg

Close shot of logs. They sagged over night in fridge----They taste just as good OVAL:  
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

a79d5c5f_DSC01341.jpg

After 12 hours in the smoker & 7 1/2 hours of a good amount of Hickory smoke:

af7b32d3_DSC01344.jpg

All wrapped for freezing, except one log seemed to get lost: 
icon_rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

827f1dff_DSC01346.jpg

Thanks for lookin',

Bearcarver

Bear that is awesome looking sausage - I think we got our LEM at about the same time and I did not get the cure
frown.gif

Is that another prototype? I have both the 6x6 and the 8x8 AMS - Just did a smoke with the 8X8 this weekend and it lasted between 13 and 14 hours lit at both ends and filled to the brim

Hey Bear,

That's some good looking summer sausage, I want some!

Here's an idea for ya since you don't like to stuff in casings, make some sausage stuffers like the fattie stuffers, you could use 3" PVC potable water pipe cut to length to fit in your MES, place a cap on one end (without gluing, but sand the outside of the pipe so that it would be easy to remove), drill a small hole in it to let the air escape and the stuff it with you summer sausage, that way when you place it in the fridge overnight they would hold their shape, then just push them out the next morning onto your grate.

Gene

Looks awesome, Bear!  I'll be waiting for a recipe whenever you get it how you like it.

I also like that AMNS proto.  Heavier and longer smoke is definitely better although my 6x6 ain't too shabby -- I got about 5 hours with it lit at both ends last time.

Bear that is awesome looking sausage - I think we got our LEM at about the same time and I did not get the cure
frown.gif

Is that another prototype? I have both the 6x6 and the 8x8 AMS - Just did a smoke with the 8X8 this weekend and it lasted between 13 and 14 hours lit at both ends and filled to the brim
Thanks Scarbelly,

Wow 13 to 14 hours lit both ends? No other heat in that smoke? I only got 7 1/2 lit one end. Yours has 96 cu in, mine has 82.5 cu in.

Bear

Last edited:
Whats the size on that AMNS?
I came up with the size---5" X 11" X 1 1/2" high. It fits in that little space on the bars, to the left of the chip drawer, in the MES 30. I only used it once since Todd made adjustments on it. I'm happy with it the way it is, but Todd doesn't seem to be. The wheels are always turning in his head.
confused.gif
  This is why everybody is so happy with their AMNS.

Bear

Looks awesome, Bear!  I'll be waiting for a recipe whenever you get it how you like it.

I also like that AMNS proto.  Heavier and longer smoke is definitely better although my 6x6 ain't too shabby -- I got about 5 hours with it lit at both ends last time.
Thanks Myth,

My 6 X 6 works good too, and is plenty of smoke for a normal person, but I'm not really normal. Everything I do is to find the most smoke I can get on something, without creosote. That is my reason for not putting things in smoke blocking casings. That is my reason for curing & smoking things slower & longer than the recipes I find. So far the only time I got creosote was from my Big Kahuna.
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

Bear

cool.gif

Man oh Man there Bear thats some great looking suasage you have there. Now how is it without the casings??? I haven't found good casings yet for all my suausge making.

Now I like that idea.  A couple of questions: how long of a burn did you get with it?  Does the heat from the element affect how it burns?

I came up with the size---5" X 11" X 1 1/2" high. It fits in that little space on the bars, to the left of the chip drawer, in the MES 30...

Now I like that idea.  A couple of questions: how long of a burn did you get with it?  Does the heat from the element affect how it burns?

This time I got about 7 1/2 hours of a pretty nice amount of smoke. I'm happy with it, but Todd is still experimenting. I take notes and report to him every time I use one with my findings. Plus he is always trying new little tricks. I'm not exactly sure what heat does to the burn time, but it seems to burn quicker the higher the temp is. Still more tests needed.

Bear

Wow, BearCarver... my tummy is grumbling from here!!

I have to ask... Why no skins on your sausage?

I have been known to go skinless myself (naked bangers under a blanket of mashed potatoes is a favorite of mine) Also, if you have not tried squeezing freshly ground and mixed bratwurst mix (from a cake decorating bag, in my case) DIRECTLY into a pot of boiling water-and-beer, you do not know what you are missing. :)  But I have never gone skinless into a smoker. Tell me more!

Cheers!

-Princess

Wow, BearCarver... my tummy is grumbling from here!!

I have to ask... Why no skins on your sausage?

I have been known to go skinless myself (naked bangers under a blanket of mashed potatoes is a favorite of mine) Also, if you have not tried squeezing freshly ground and mixed bratwurst mix (from a cake decorating bag, in my case) DIRECTLY into a pot of boiling water-and-beer, you do not know what you are missing. :)  But I have never gone skinless into a smoker. Tell me more!

Cheers!

-Princess
Hi Princess,

Good Question:

I will use skins (casings) when I have to, and when I am not going to smoke the sausage. My reason for making my smoked sausage without skins is, I don't like to block the smoke in any way from getting to the meat. I won't put meat in a pan when I want to smoke it (unless it's raised with something). I won't leave the rind on my Pork Belly when I smoke it. I won't leave the skin on my Salmon when I smoke it. I don't like to smoke the part I'm going to throw away either. That's just the way I am, and I am a stubborn PA Dutchman.

Bear

Last edited:
Bear,

I can see your big fat thumbprints all over those logs!!!

Awesome Job My Friend!!!

Todd

There's got to be some kind of a way to shield the heat coming from the element without disrupting the flow of smoke.  I'll put my thinking cap on and let you guys know if I come up with anything brilliant.

This time I got about 7 1/2 hours of a pretty nice amount of smoke. I'm happy with it, but Todd is still experimenting. I take notes and report to him every time I use one with my findings. Plus he is always trying new little tricks. I'm not exactly sure what heat does to the burn time, but it seems to burn quicker the higher the temp is. Still more tests needed.

Bear

There's got to be some kind of a way to shield the heat coming from the element without disrupting the flow of smoke.  I'll put my thinking cap on and let you guys know if I come up with anything brilliant.

It's not just the heat coming from the element (which I do block with a foil pan). Some is just the fact that it gets hot in the whole smoker. That also makes the dust get drier too. Hot smoking is naturally going to use more dust than cold smoking, or even "warm" smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky