Summer Sausage/Pepperoni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Making 3 pounds Summer Sausage and 3 pounds "Pepperoni".

Curing now, will smoke on Sunday Morning. 

Spices and cure for "pepperoni". Decided to add 4 ounces of red wine.

All mixed, ready for the refrigerator.

Seasoning/cure for the Summer Sausage. Decided to try mixing in some buttermilk(1/3 cup) to see how it might add to the flavor.

Dry ingredients added.

After mixing with the buttermilk.

Will be outside early Sunday morning stacking firewood, so I will be able to keep a close eye on the smoker temp, time etc. Plan on using hickory. Might throw in some kosher salt in a pan at the same time to see how that goes as far as smoked salt. 

Will post more pics....

Reactions: david reading
Looks good so far, I'm in!!  good luck !!

I really like the whole peppercorns, 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

Thanks. Just got done mixing it again. smells good!

Well how do they taste?? what temp did you set smoker at did you just have a spike in temp or did you set it too high?? Looks yummy 

DS

Looks great 

How did they turn out?  I just recently used buttermilk in some sticks and I really didn't mind it. How did it work for you? 

Kitt 

Well how do they taste?? what temp did you set smoker at did you just have a spike in temp or did you set it too high?? Looks yummy 

DS
They taste excellent. Had a spike in temp.....Fat-out wasn't as bad as I had thought.....  Must have got to it at just the right time. Nice texture, nice flavor for both. Next time I will add more Anise and Fennel to the "Pepperoni"..... Was a little dissappointed about the buttermilk... didn't seem to develop the tang I was looking for..... Thanks for looking!

Looks great 

How did they turn out?  I just recently used buttermilk in some sticks and I really didn't mind it. How did it work for you? 

Kitt 
Hi Kitt. Was a little dissappointed with the buttermilk. didn't get the tanginess I had hoped for. All in all, a decent batch of smoked sausages....

I have done summer sausage at 225 deg and 250 at times and have not had any "fat out".  Most of the time I start out low at 140 or so for more drying the first hour or so but then it's up  to 225 until the proper internal temp is reached.  One thing I dont see in your recipes is dry powdered milk.  That would retain moisture for you.  For three pounds i'm thinking a half cup.  I only say this as a suggestion.  I use one cup per 5 pounds of meat to all my smoked sausage and do not have any shrinkage or loose moisture during smoking. Reinhard

Hello Reinhard. The temp in my smoker got up to about 180+-. It did start to fat at at that temp even. Not much, but when i stuck the thermometer probe through the casing, fat definitely dripped out......... Otherwise, the sausages have a great texture and flavor. I was dissappointed with the buttermilk though. Didn't appear to add much additional tang at all. As far as powdered milk, haven't tried that yet. Maybe next time to see if the tang is more pronounced.

The most important part of sausage making is that you are happy with the results.  Sounds like you are happy with it except with the buttermilk and that's all part of getting it where you want it to be.  The powdered milk will not help with the tang.  Powdered milk is a binder.  It's an important ingredient for me as it is a flavor and moisture retention ingredient and also ads to a nice appearance to the finished product.  Reinhard

Hello Reinhard. The temp in my smoker got up to about 180+-. It did start to fat at at that temp even. Not much, but when i stuck the thermometer probe through the casing, fat definitely dripped out......... Otherwise, the sausages have a great texture and flavor. I was dissappointed with the buttermilk though. Didn't appear to add much additional tang at all. As far as powdered milk, haven't tried that yet. Maybe next time to see if the tang is more pronounced.

Try this.... available at most stores.... Probably in the baking section but not sure....

The most important part of sausage making is that you are happy with the results.  Sounds like you are happy with it except with the buttermilk and that's all part of getting it where you want it to be.  The powdered milk will not help with the tang.  Powdered milk is a binder.  It's an important ingredient for me as it is a flavor and moisture retention ingredient and also ads to a nice appearance to the finished product.  Reinhard
Thanks Reinhard. I will probably give it a try!

Both..... Powdered milk and B. milk tang... Try it and see how you like it... It is also used for one ingredient, when making dry cured/aged salami or something like that.... I can't remember... someone here may remember...

They taste excellent. Had a spike in temp.....Fat-out wasn't as bad as I had thought.....  Must have got to it at just the right time. Nice texture, nice flavor for both. Next time I will add more Anise and Fennel to the "Pepperoni"..... Was a little dissappointed about the buttermilk... didn't seem to develop the tang I was looking for..... Thanks for looking!
I like to use Fermento in my SS. Gives it the tang you're looking for. Another option would be using a culture such as FL-C.

Hi Kitt. Was a little dissappointed with the buttermilk. didn't get the tanginess I had hoped for. All in all, a decent batch of smoked sausages....
Take and fry up a small patty of it before stuffing to check the seasoning. You can then adjust to your liking. The only thing you won't have is the smoke flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky