Summer sausage in muslin bags.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ontario smoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
North Bay, Ontario
Hello from Ontario.

Well last night I finally decided to try my luck at making summer sausage in a muslin bag. Unfortunately, there is nowhere in my small northern ontario town where i can get these without ordering online. I decided to make my own. Went and bought a yard of unbleached muslin and started cutting the rough shape. After a short lesson on using the wife's sewing machine, i ended up with some pretty rough but usable casing.

Mixed up a 3 pound batch of summer sausage and added ECA. Had enough meat to stuff a nice size chub. I was really impressed by the way the muslin turned out after stuffing

My goal is to smoke the SS using my Bradley digital with a blend of apple, cherry, sweet maple and hickory pellets with the amnps instead of the Bradley pucks. I seem to get better TBS and better flavour with it. Gonna put in the preheated smoker at 120f for a couple of hours to make sure it's dry. Then up to 140f with smoke. I'm looking for a heavy smoke flavour so I will be smoking it for 8 to 10 hours. Also want to hang this chub to dry in a cool place after it is fully cooked.. I'm hoping the ECA will lower the ph enough to prevent spoilage.

He she is drying in the smoker.

Gonna be a long night. Hopefully the cabinet temp can reach 170f during this cold snap. -22f over night.

Happy smoking

More pics to come.

Last edited:
Did you use a cure in the sausage? If you did there should be no worries about spoilage. 

Oh, and nice job on the muslin bags.

Last edited:
I did use cure #1. Its smells amazing right now while she's blooming. Will post pics when i get back from ice fishing. Got 4 whitefish to smoke now!

The recipe is a sausage mix from Walton's. I bought it before I was confident enough to make my own. Now I have a million recipes from this site but unfortunately I have to use up enough mix for 100 pounds of sausage...lol. If the smoke penetration and texture turns out, I will try this recipe.

VENISON SUMMER SAUSAGE

5 pounds ground venison

2 tablespoons TenderQuick

2 teaspoons mustard seed

2 1 /2 teaspoons garlic salt

2 1 /2 teaspoons black pepper

1 cup cold water

DIRECTIONS; Stir water, tender quick, mustard seed, garlic salt, and black pepper in a large plastic bowl. Add venison and mix well. Stuff into bags and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days. Smoke in a smoker until internal temperature reaches 165.

I will be adding encapsulated citric acid to give me the tang and to make it shelf stable. The ECA also gives me a bit of reassurance that it won't spoil while I let it hang unrefridgerated.

Last edited:
Well ? I'm hungry, where's the pics ?

gary

Well, I couldn't wait any longer so i decided to give it a try. Great flavour and really good smoke penetration:xrocker: I will definitely be using muslin instead of fibrous casings from now on. Oh, and the muslin peeled off nicely.

That looks great.

Something I want to try.

:points:

That looks great

points1.png

Gary

Dang,,,,,that DOES look good. Now I gotta get a hold of some muslin bags but, I've got about 20 non-edibles to use up still. I am a fan of Waltons, although have never bought their mixes. Their hog casings are excellent.....Willie

Hey Willie.....   I bought 2 yds of non-bleached muslin for about $7 at w-m a couple weeks ago... fairly tight weave....   washed and preshrunk...  I think it was 54 wide.....

I'm gonna use some of it to strain the oil in my deep fryer... 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky