Stollen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pmorton62

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
This is an adaptation of a recipe my mother made every Christmas Eve for breakfast on Christmas morning.  It's a traditional German Christmas bread.  When I make it this year (probably on Christmas Eve, but maybe earlier...I have made a loaf for a friend for about 25 years, and it varies when she wants hers) I will post pictures.

Stöllen

1 2/3 – 2 cups dried or candied fruit (I used dried apricots cut into smaller pieces, dried cherries, dried pineapple, craisins and raisins)

3 tbsps orange juice

The night before making stöllen, soak the dried fruit in the orange juice and enough water to cover the fruit.

Yeast sponge

1 ½ cups milk or water heated to 105 – 115°F

2 packages dry yeast

1 cup bread flour

Combine these ingredients in a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Set in a warm location for 1 hour.

Dough

1 ½ cups butter

¾ cups sugar

3 eggs

¼ tsp salt

¾ tsp lemon rind

2 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp nutmeg

4 ½ cups bread flour

2 cups pecans (or walnuts, but pecans are God’s favorite.)

½ cup bread flour

¼ cup butter melted

In a mixer bowl (We use a KitchenAid) beat the butter until it is soft.  Gradually add the sugar.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Add the salt, lemon rind, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add the yeast sponge and flour.

Attach the dough hook (or turn the bowl contents out onto the counter or a board if kneading by hand) and beat at speed #2 until the dough starts to pull away from the bottom of the bowl, about 8 minutes (or if kneading by hand about 10 – 15 minutes, until the dough is soft and elastic).

In a separate bowl, combine the fruit, pecans and ½ cup bread flour and stir to coat the fruit and nuts with flour.

Knead the fruit and nuts into the dough.

Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.  Spread a little flour on the counter or board, and roll or pat each half into an oval about 8 ½ inches long and about 5 inches wide.  Fold the oval almost in half lengthwise so the bottom extends slightly past the top.

Place each loaf on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.  Brush the tops of the loaves with melted butter.

Cover the loaves with clean dish towels and set in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until done.  (An instant read thermometer inserted into the center should read 190°F)

When the loaves are slightly cooled, transfer them to cooling racks place in baking sheets.

Lemon glaze

About 2 cups powdered sugar

1 tbsp lemon extract

Enough water to make a thick glaze (I have never measured, but it is probably about 3 or 4 tbsps, maybe a little more.)

Wisk these ingredients together until there are no lumps.

Pour and spread over the warm loaves, making sure to cover the whole loaf.

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

My wife is a really good baker & I'm going to print this out & give it to her.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky