Steak Preferences

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What is your favorite cut of beef ????

• Prime rib

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Porterhouse

• T -bone

• Ribeye

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Filet

• NY Strip

• other

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1.5 inch ribeye, 3 min per side direct heat 600 degrees, kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper first side up, flip, smear 2nd side upon flip with sweet baby rays and dust with Webber smokey mesquite. Finished at 135 degrees IT

Last edited:
Like many respondents, my personal favorite steak is a rib eye, around 1½” thick, and preferably dry aged. That said, a good quality porterhouse, T bone, or NY strip is always a welcome diversion.

For many years, my favorite method of preparation was to cook steaks (or roasts) in an oven or smoker set at the lowest possible temperature they would go. In my case, the low temperature on the oven is 175F, and for the smoker, it's 150F. When the IT hit around 117F, I would pull and foil them for about 10 minutes, and then finish for 30 seconds a side at 600F. For the past 4 years, I been doing them sous vide at 123F followed by the sear.

The one steak I avoid is a filet mignon. That, and it's donor, the tenderloin, while being very tender are, to me, totally devoid of taste. To my way of thinking, both are the most overrated cuts of beef that a cow has to offer.

Last edited:
I only eat rib eye.  I have it once a week.  I can't recall the last time I had any other cut.  Only salt and pepper for me then on the grill cooked to a nice medium rare, rare if I am the only one eating.

Last edited:
NY Strip bone in is my favorite.Grilled with some Montreal Steak seasoning.

I find Rib Eyes to be fatty,although the top of the Rib Eye I think it is called the rib cap is great tasting.

Dan

Last edited:
Medium rare ribeye 1 inch or bigger cut. Close 2nd is filet. Rub with olive oil, salt and pepper. Hot grill. Sear both sides and get to 130 and pull off to rest. Usually gets to 135.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted 'other' - a toss between Chuck Eye or Flat Iron steak, leaning more towards Flat Iron steak as it is leaner.  Medium Rare, of course!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky