Steak Preferences

Discussion in 'Grilling Beef' started by griz400, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Prime rib

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Porterhouse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. T -bone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ribeye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Filet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NY Strip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. griz400

griz400 Master of the Pit

ALSO When you answer, tell how how you like it ............

2. griz400

griz400 Master of the Pit

I will go first ...ribeye, med rare 

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Hands down King of Steaks...Rib Steak from the Large End ( chuck end ) Bone # 6 or # 7. Seared hard and Med/Rare....JJ

4. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

:yeahthat:

5. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I prefer a strip steak and have to go medium med rare doesn't seem to digest that well.

6. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Smoking Fanatic

Ribeye, medium rare.

7. lancep

lancep Master of the Pit

Filet, rare! But my guilty secret, Waffle House T-Bone cooked medium with eggs and hash browns. Shh...

8. phatbac

phatbac Master of the Pit

Im a porterhouse man myself...sometimes i go medium sometimes med rare. depends on my mood.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Ribeye med rare for me, Judy likes filets med rare.

Al

10. I like them all, bit I usually go w a NY Strip, cooked to between MR and M.

11. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Ribeye. Meduim Rare. But I voted Prime Rib because its the same cut of beef and I assume you mean PRIME grade, so of course I would pick that out of that list. [​IMG]

12. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Bone-in Ribeye or Porterhouse, must be at least 1.5" thick.
    I like them either Reverse Seared med-rare with a good crust or directly over an extremely hot wood fire, heavy char/med-rare.

13. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ribeye.  Rare to barely medium rare for me.  Medium rare for Mrs Ray.  Lightly spray with olive oil, then a light dusting of Montreal Steak Seasoning pressed into the meat.  Sear over high heat 3 minutes a side, then indirect cooking for a few minutes to the desired doneness (4 minutes for mine, 8 for hers). 

14. shoebe

shoebe Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Ribeye, medium rare, salt and pepper, sear over high heat no more than 4 minutes a side

15. birdman080

birdman080 Smoke Blower

I voted "Other" because it was a cross between Ribeye and Prime Rib.  Cooked Medium.

16. brute

brute Fire Starter

Ribeye, rare. Seasoned with olive oil, sea salt & pepper at least 2 hours before cooking.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  17. Ribeye to medium rare in a cast iron pan. Best ever.

18. kam59

kam59 Smoking Fanatic

Bone in rib eye. Rare enough that a good vet can bring it back to life.

19. Filet medium with some black ops beef rub. And a side of onions and mushrooms. I'm definitely getting into doing this in a reverse sear style with pecan pellets.

20. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Update to what I posted above.  Still love rib eye, but now I spray with oil, lightly dust with the MSS, press it into the meat, wrap tightly in saran wrap, and stick in the fridge for 1-3 days to dry brine.  Then onto the grill for the direct/indirect cooking mentioned above.  That dry brining in the fridge has stepped up the flavor another notch.  I've read that it also makes the meat more tender, probably due to the salt denaturing the proteins, but I haven't noticed any real difference in tenderness.  I have noticed that it eliminates the metallic taste that you can sometimes get from wet-aged beef.