Start Of Fermenting Everything But The Kitchen Sink Hot Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Jalapeno
Serrano
Yellow Caribe
Anaheim
Poblano
Blueberries
Chokecherries
Garlic

Started these on Aug 16th. One jar I was short a proper lid but made do with just keeping the lid lose. New lid arrived today.
From the 16th till now you can see how much the color has changed from the berries. Should be an interesting batch of hot sauce when all is done.
Will update as time goes by.

20230816_185831.jpg
20230817_075859.jpg

20230821_154408.jpg

Getting that nice active ferment cloudy brine! Great mix of peppers. I add all my flavor vegetables and pepper post ferment or at least have so far. Interested to see if you get the berry flavor in the finished sauce.

Hoping for a berry flavor but I guess we will see
I made a similar "kitchen sink" sauce awhile back but used peach as the fruit. See this thread. I roasted one batch and left another batch raw. I fermented the raw batch for two months and the roasted batch for 8 months.

The result was a bit disappointing as far as fruit flavor was concerned. The high sugar content of the peach produced a lot of lactic acid during the ferment. The resulting sauce was tasty, but far more sour than usual, with no peach flavor.

I'm thinking the key to preserving some fermented fruit flavor when adding fruit pre-ferment is to stop the fermentation process before all the sugars in the fruit are consumed while making sure that the pH of the resulting sauce is "safe", say less than 3.8 or so(?)

I'm interested in your results.

Reactions: KBFlyer
When I made the habinaro, pineapple and mango salsa the fruit taste didn't show up until a few days after I stopped fermentation. Now I toss it on everything. I just made some Angus smash burgers and put some in it. It was so good.

angus_smash_burgers.jpg

Well finally got around to processing my hot sauce. Was going to use a strainer but that seemed like a lot work. Was going to use a jam bag on a stand and let it drip over night into a pot but I could not wait as I have things to do lol
So I used my tomato sauce machine and it worked perfectly. The left over pulp was very dry and loaded with all the seeds that I did not want. Some say don't throw that out but I really have no use for it so out it went to the bin.
The taste was very fruity and hard to pin down just one flavor. I did add liquid smoke to the sauce and it was actually very good.
The heat profile I would say was on a scale of 1-10 maybe a 5 or 6.
Since I plan on giving these away at Christmas I used vinegar and some lemon juice to help make it last longer.
PH was reading 2.9-3.1 so it was safe already but I want to be sure. Final product was PH of 2.3

Here is what I am working with:
20231031_135209.jpg

PH down to the safe zone:
20231031_135451.jpg

My tomato machine making fast work of the seeds and pulp.

20231031_145430.jpg

Added honey, lemon juice, vinegar and a splash of liquid smoke.
20231031_151046.jpg

Getting the pressure cooker going for 15 minutes. Just under a 1000 feet so that is plenty of time for making it safe for canning.
20231031_175244.jpg

Haley waiting for the next batch of kids to come by to get candy LOL

So 10 small jars of hot sauce all done on Halloween night LOL
20231031_195534.jpg

Last edited:
I'll bet that's very tasty! I do a couple sauces where I use either liquid smoke or powdered hickory smoke. People love them.

Reactions: KBFlyer
Nice batch of sauce! Say, is that a hand crank tomato puree machine? What model is it?
Well I had go look for the brand name as its back down in the basement on a shelf. Here is a picture of the box. Mine is just a hand crank but you can get a electric motor for them also. Quality is middle of the road. Could be better but it does the job with a tad of a learning curve on what pots and pans work best so there is little mess. I tried running the pulp through a second time and it became very difficult to the point I thought I was going to break something.
20231031_205235.jpg

Good looking sauce! I'm intrigued that you got a fruity flavor with the low pH. Was that before or after you added the honey, lemon juice, and vinegar?

As I mentioned earlier, my experiment with peach as the fruit produced an odd, but not upleasant, flavor that I didn't recognize as fruit. Maybe I didn't use enough peach to produce a fruity fermented flavor? My pH ended up in the same range as yours, so it was very sour. I've refrigerated the sauce for several months without any further processing. It's still very tasty.

Good looking sauce! I'm intrigued that you got a fruity flavor with the low pH. Was that before or after you added the honey, lemon juice, and vinegar?

As I mentioned earlier, my experiment with peach as the fruit produced an odd, but not upleasant, flavor that I didn't recognize as fruit. Maybe I didn't use enough peach to produce a fruity fermented flavor? My pH ended up in the same range as yours, so it was very sour. I've refrigerated the sauce for several months without any further processing. It's still very tasty.
I did have a lot of blueberry's and chock cherries in there so maybe that is were the fruity taste came from. Right out of the jar the PH one was 2.9, and the other two were 3.1.
I added the honey because I to felt it was a tad sour.
After processing with the lemon and vinegar the PH dropped to 2.3
Gave one to my buddy this morning, Waiting on his opinion for taste and heat profile.

I had to re-read your post on processing. I thought you had the pressure cooker a 1000' away for safety.

With a pH of 2.3 you were well under the ~4.5 level for high acid. Wasn't a water bath sufficient for canning?

I had to re-read your post on processing. I thought you had the pressure cooker a 1000' away for safety.

With a pH of 2.3 you were well under the ~4.5 level for high acid. Wasn't a water bath sufficient for canni
Water bath will not kill bad bacteria. Where I live just under 1000 elevation it needs 15 min

Gave a jar of this to a guy who works at the local husqvarna chain saw shop close to me. I always walk my dog past and he gives her treats. Told him once opened to refridgerate. Next day he said do I have anymore as his jar is all gone. Everyone loved it at the shop. Said it was just spicey enough and they put it on everything LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky