Stainless cook chamber build Reverse Flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm using an old trailer axle because it has good bearings & will roll good.  A 5/8 bolt fits nice inside 1/2" pipe.  I cut the pipe 1" short, then trued them up square on the sawcut edge.  I welded them to the hub, slipped in the bolts & nuts, then rough centered them inside the rim.  After bolting on the axle, an indicator showed the highs & lows & I was able to center it up just like a 4 jaw chuck on a lathe, then started tacking & welding solid.   Not sure why picks aren't coming through.  Hope the details help you. 

Last edited:

These wheels should roll over about anything.

Got the stiffening ribs/hinges/handle attachment welded on.

Finally get a good look at the inside.  Needed a pressure washing, then knotted cup wheel in a grinder then a flap wheel to clean up.

Reverse flow plate is 1/4" 

I've been busy since the last post.  Hope to cook on it this weekend.

I've been hitting it hard this week & cooked on it!  It's not finished, but it is functional.  Cooked a pizza & roasted veggies that turned out well.  The temps got away from me in the wee hours of the morning & burnt the outside of the pork butt & brisket.  I was able to cut off the black parts & salvage the inside & still feed 40 people.  Got lucky!  It'll be a learning curve to get it figured out.  Also have a name for it:  "Scrap Pass Smoker" since I got all the stainless for free from my employer with 2 scrap passes from my management.

I work for a Fortune 500 company.  If there are materials that are deemed to be scrap, and if we want those materials, we can ask our supervisor for a piece of paper giving permission for us to take those things out of the plant.  Actually, my father worked for the same company & he brought home some of the stainless materials on a scrap pass 50+ years ago.  I'd say it's the best way to recycle!

Lucky! I wish I could get "scrap" like that 
thumb1.gif

It may never be completely done, but it's getting close.  The ribs turned out good enough to take to work to share samples.  I've done some pork shoulders & brisket as well.  I'm learning how to cook on it.  Still need to put in an upper rack.  The balance point was right where the big wheels are mounted, so I added a 50# ballast on the support for the casters.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky