St Patrick's-Time for Corned Beef & Pastrami

Discussion in 'Beef' started by macbillybob, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Put a brisket into the brine this weekend for some corned beef and pastrami. I cut the full brisket in half and will smoke the flat with pepper and coriander for Pastrami.

Big end will go into a pot with cabbage and other veggies. HELLO CORNED BEEF. How about a green beer to go with it or at least a beer with a green label.

[​IMG]

2. very nice! cant wait for the end result...

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Sounds real good there my friend. Let us know how it turns out. One of my favorite things to smoke is pastrami. I won't turn down a green beer either!

4. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I can't wait for the corned beef to go on sale. I'm going to load up the freezer this year.

5. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Ross,

if i am going to have corn beef this year i'll have to make it my self. Looked yesterday and a small corned beef roast was $4.40 lb.

6. No kidding. The price of the brisket was close to double what I usually get them for down here. I buy the large and untrimmed brisket and usually you can find them for $1-1.20/lb. This one was almost $2/lb. The trimed ones were almost $4.

Hey, it's cheaper than eating out.....and better too.

7. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Sounds like some good eats. Mmmmm green beer :)

Smoke-N-Dave. Tapatalk iPhone

8. Sierra Nevada. Terrapin Hopsecutioner, Coopers. They all have green labels. I don't drink green beer. [​IMG]

9. As in my picture, I prefer a Spring Ale from Shiner, Texas.

10. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sounds good MacBB,

I'll be watching this one!

[​IMG]

Bear

11. Nice job.  I can't wait to see the outcome.  I'm going to try my hand at some Strami myself very shortly.

12. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Loves me some pastrami.  Not so much on the green beer, but it's pretty easy to twist my arm

13. jakerz66

jakerz66 Smoke Blower

How long do you brine you pastrami? Do you keep it in the refrigerator open or covered?

14. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sounds Good...

15. cassman

cassman Fire Starter

Nice job.  I can't wait to see the outcome.  I'm made some Strami myself this past weekend. Sorry no Q-view.

16. uncle_lar

uncle_lar Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I picked up 2 full packer briskets yesterday. going to trim and get into the brine tonight.

I will post some pics of the progerss also.

I will be making pastrami and corned beef from mine too

I paid 2.28# at wal-mart for the IBP brisket

17. Corned Beef and Pastrami have come out of the brine today. I think I will smoke the Pastrami today. It is a beautiful day here in S Texas. 40's this morning but sun is out and it should be a nice 70 this afternoon. Perfect smoking weather.

Pastrami is covered with toasted and cracked Coriander and Black Pepper. I plan on smoking to an IT of 150. I will probably cut it in half and freeze one. When I get ready to slice and eat it I steam it for 2-3 hours until tender. Yummy. Rye bread and mustard here we come.

Whoops almost forgot the picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  18. Question for you Pastrami Smokers.....Do you hang it like bacon or just put it on a rack?

I have always put it on a rack but thought I would ask. Probably doesn't make much diff

19. uncle_lar

uncle_lar Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I smoke mine on a rack. with a water pan and spritz with apple juice a few times during  the smoke

20. That's what I did today. Smoker temp currently around 150 with pecan.

I will jack it up later in order to get the 150 IT.

Might try the apple juice thingy. Sounds like a bit of added flavor.

[​IMG][​IMG]