SQWIBS Urban Garden Adventure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Planted this at least three years ago and this is the first bloom. I think the dog kept going back there and busting up the plant.

cover those plants tonight 
LOL, you aint kidding!!! 25°, I took my Aquaponic Peppers inside yesterday, lost all my basil outside. Have a Brandywine and two Matts wild cherry tomatoes I'll cloche tonight. My Mortgage lifter is near dead and wont make it till Wednesday, I'll cloche it anyway. Hopefully my Parsley and Leeks will survive.

April 6th, 2016 - Three of my 10 gallon Grow bags arrived this past weekend and I had a little time after work today so I loaded them up with my potting mix. I have 3 more 10 gallon pots and 2 more 7 gallon pots on order, I'll probably just use two more of the 10 gallon pots.

April 5th, 2016 - Well, nothing has died yet.

April 5th, 2016 - Still alive and I got some action going on!

Woohoo, the little Face Huggers, (Alien reference) arrived, as I was planting these I found that one of the turtles likes this bed, hopefully it wont be a problem.

April 5th, 2016 - Welcome to the jungle...I will definitely be starting my seeds 4 weeks later next year!!! I 'm going to have to feed these guys, some leaves are yellowing,  may try a pinch or two of Epsom salts first.

Sqwib, saw 10gal bags at garden indoors for $5.15 per but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Are ya happy with yours and where did you order them from. Just looking to save time and shipping. Going down this weekend to get some Happy Frog soil conditioner so might pick um up then. Thanks.

Sqwib, saw 10gal bags at garden indoors for $5.15 per but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Are ya happy with yours and where did you order them from. Just looking to save time and shipping. Going down this weekend to get some Happy Frog soil conditioner so might pick um up then. Thanks.
Hope this post is OK with the mods.

Some notes if you order these bags, I love these bags from Awesome Harvest, they are extremely heavy duty (recycled plastic bottles) and have a corded mulching top (lid) The only problem is getting them. I tried direct from Here and ended up disputing the purchase with PayPal after several weeks. His site doesn't even show the closed bags anymore.

You have to watch the pricing, Awesome harvest has a flat ship Rate of $15.00 and works out good for multiple bags, however the guy is not on top of his business and I suggest purchasing elsewhere.

I ordered from here really nice folks but a little laxed on communication, your best bet is looking on Amazon... but like I said watch the pricing, seems Amazon lumps the shipping into the bag price, and the 7 gallon pots were like 5 bucks more than the 10 gallon pots.

Amazon

Also consider the closed top ones for mulching.

Last edited:
Hey Buddy, You need a bigger Yard !!!

Looks great  I like your post

Gary

Hey Buddy, You need a bigger Yard !!!

Looks great  I like your post

Gary

ROFLMAO...... He doesn't need a bigger yard, he needs a yard. I have been enjoying the entire journey. 
A bigger yard would be nice I would be happy with an acre...I got an acre of crap in my little yard.

Got home last night and the pond water was VERY low again, I think the "Veggie Filter" is leaking, drained and cleaned and found roots from a past plant grew in between the silicone and PVC pipe that feeds the veggie filter. Cleaned it up best I could and reapplied some silicone, will hit it again tonight if the rain holds out...freaking roots are incredible.

This is the part I think is leaking. (picture from original build)

Feed pipe from pond.

Never gonna get a jump on the planting season with this weather!!!
LOL---WE got over 4" of white stuff up here on Saturday.

The first 5 hours didn't stick, but before dark we had over 4" on the ground.

Almost all gone already!!

Bear

My hose froze up, I'm glad I took in my irrigation stuff last week.

I usually don't care what the weather is doing but this year since I planted everything too soon, I want to get them in the ground/HYDRO and stop worrying about them. Everyday I'm picking off tomato flowers, now the peppers are budding, lesson learned! The hydro plants are looking sad, tomato plants are leggy and about 20" tall.

Last edited:
Hey Buddy it happens.  Three years ago I rolled the dice and planted early, no lat freeze everything did great had early Veggies. last couple of years

I planted early and had to replant.  This year I waited, everything looking great

Gary

Hey Buddy it happens.  Three years ago I rolled the dice and planted early, no lat freeze everything did great had early Veggies. last couple of years

I planted early and had to replant.  This year I waited, everything looking great

Gary
Yeah, and it's my first year with seedlings, I usually don't do anything till mothers day weekend, then stop at a few local nurseries, grab a few plants and toss them in. But this year I wanted to grow some Heirlooms plus the fact it was hard to find some of the plants I wanted. When starting from seed I doubled what I wanted and the problem is I got double than I need, I didn't expect everything to do so well. Not only that but I also got a care package from JaxRmrJmr with striped eggplant, Ghost Chili, Matts Wild Cherry, Datil Pepper and they all sprouted!

I think I'll be fine next year starting the seeds 4 weeks later, broadcast seeding and thin after a few weeks, transfer to solo cups and figure on planting mothers day weekend.

Funny thing, I'm not a farmer, but had a garden for many years. Most of my neighbors come to me for advice, or to look at their gardens. Makes me feel good

they think that much of me to ask, especially since you can Google anything you want in about 2 seconds..  I was telling my friend (The one who had the Brain surgery) and lives in the country , (Plowed him up a proper garden).  I still amazes me after all the years of planting, watching the little plants popping up out of the ground from little seeds and producing all the great veggies we eat all summer long and my wife can's of the winter.  Wow

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky