SQWIBS Urban Garden Adventure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Gary...

Oh! I almost forgot this.

Kratky Lettuce in 10 Gallon Totes

• February 13th, 2015 - I decided to make two new Kratky Lettuce containers with five 2" net pots, I'll use these two totes alongside the six 2 gallon Kratky Buckets. $15.00 and 15 minutes.

​

February 14th, 2016 - 8 days - How are the seeds doing?
  • Pepper Hot, Anaheim Chili HEIRLOOM - 10 weeks (1 Hydro, 3 Soil) February 6th SPROUTED
  • Pepper Sweet, California Wonder HEIRLOOM - 10 weeks (1 Soil) (4 Hydro) February 6th NOTHING
  • Pepper Hot, Tabasco HEIRLOOM - 10 weeks (2 Soil) (2 Hydro) February 6th SPROUTED
  • Pepper Hot, Ghost chili (From JaxRmrJmr) - 10 weeks (2 Soil) February 6th NOTHING
  • Pepper Hot, Datil Pepper (From JaxRmrJmr) - 10 weeks (2 Soil) February 6th SPROUTED
  • Flower, Marigold - 10 weeks (ALL SOIL) February 6th I have one Marigold growing now as a test NOTHING
  • Flower, Gerbera Daisy - 10 weeks (ALL SOIL) (a few fertile seeds) I'm not holding my breath February 6th NOTHING
February 14th, 2016 - 2 days (Tomatoes/Eggplants) - How are the seeds doing?
  • Tomato, Mortgage Lifter HEIRLOOM - 8 weeks (3 Hydro, 2 Soil) February 13th SPROUTED (unbelievable!)
  • Tomato, Brandywine Red (Potato Leaf) HEIRLOOM - 8 weeks (3 Hydro, 1 Soil) February 13th SPROUTED (unbelievable!)
  • Tomato, Matt's wild cherry (From JaxRmrJmr) - 8 weeks (1 Soil) February 13th NOTHING
  • Eggplant, Black Beauty HEIRLOOM - 8 weeks (3 Hydro, 2 Soil) February 13th NOTHING
  • Eggplant, Meatball Hybrid - 8 weeks (3 Hydro, 2 Soil) February 13th NOTHING
  • Eggplant, Striped eggplant (From JaxRmrJmr) - 8 weeks (2 Soil) February 13th NOTHING
  • Leeks, American Flag   - 8 weeks (Soil) February 13th NOTHING
I was blown away by the quick germination on the tomatoes, it's actually a bit sooner than I would like. I may plant a backup of the tomatoes in 2-3 weeks to be safe.

February 16th, 2016 - 10 days - How are the seeds doing?
  • Pepper Hot, Anaheim Chili HEIRLOOM - 10 weeks (1 Hydro, 3 Soil) February 6th SPROUTED
  • Pepper Sweet, California Wonder HEIRLOOM - 10 weeks (1 Soil) (4 Hydro) February 6th SPROUTED
  • Pepper Hot, Tabasco HEIRLOOM - 10 weeks (2 Soil) (2 Hydro) February 6th SPROUTED
  • Pepper Hot, Ghost chili (From JaxRmrJmr) - 10 weeks (2 Soil) February 6th NOTHING
  • Pepper Hot, Datil Pepper (From JaxRmrJmr) - 10 weeks (2 Soil) February 6th SPROUTED
  • Flower, Marigold - 10 weeks [PLANTED IN SOIL] (ALL SOIL) February 6th I have one Marigold growing now as a test NOTHING
  • Flower, Gerbera Daisy - 10 weeks [PLANTED IN SOIL] (ALL SOIL) (a few fertile seeds) I'm not holding my breath February 6th NOTHING

February 16th, 2016 - 4 days (Tomatoes/Eggplants) - How are the seeds doing?
  • Tomato, Mortgage Lifter HEIRLOOM - 8 weeks (3 Hydro, 2 Soil) February 13th SPROUTED (unbelievable!)
  • Tomato, Brandywine Red (Potato Leaf) HEIRLOOM - 8 weeks (3 Hydro, 1 Soil) February 13th SPROUTED (unbelievable!)
  • Tomato, Matt's wild cherry (From JaxRmrJmr) - 8 weeks (1 Soil) February 13th NOTHING
  • Eggplant, Black Beauty HEIRLOOM - 8 weeks (3 Hydro, 2 Soil) February 13th NOTHING
  • Eggplant, Striped eggplant (From JaxRmrJmr) - 8 weeks (2 Soil) February 13th NOTHING
  • Leeks, American Flag   - 8 weeks [PLANTED IN SOIL] (Soil) February 13th NOTHING

My side experiment of soil seedlings is pretty slow, My Datil peppers just came up, nothing from my leeks, California wonders or Tabasco yet!

I almost lost this crop, I left the fan on MANUAL for the entire day, when I got home the seedling tray was bone dry but the rockwool was slightly moist, I need to be more careful, I am watering these guys twice a day, once in the morning before work and once when I get home from work.

February 18th, 2016 - 12 days - How are the seeds doing?
  • Pepper Sweet, California Wonder HEIRLOOM - 10 weeks (1 Soil) (4 Hydro) February 6th SPROUTED
  • Flower, Marigold - 10 weeks [PLANTED IN SOIL] (ALL SOIL) February 6th I have one Marigold growing now as a test NOTHING
  • Flower, Gerbera Daisy - 10 weeks [PLANTED IN SOIL] (ALL SOIL) (a few fertile seeds) I'm not holding my breath February 6th NOTHING
February 18th, 2016 - 6 days (Tomatoes/Eggplants) - How are the seeds doing?
  • Eggplant, Black Beauty HEIRLOOM - 8 weeks (3 Hydro, 2 Soil) February 13th SPROUTED
  • Leeks, American Flag   - 8 weeks [PLANTED IN SOIL] (Soil) February 13th NOTHING

Sorry to hear that some of the seeds aren't coming up.  My Matt's tomatoes and striped eggplant took almost a month to sprout.  I did not plant any Ghost peppers this year as I am over wintering the plant I have and, frankly, they are so hot that I only need a few a year.  One ghost, one reaper, and one trinidad scorpion, two datils are enough heat for the whole year!

The Matt's tomato is really good so I am disappointed it hasn't come up.  But I think you will really like the Datil.  I sowed mine in the same stuff I use in my buckets - 3 scoops of peat with 2 scoops of vermiculite. 

I can't use those totes for my Kratky stuff.  We get too much rain and the tops funnel it into the reservoir.  I had to build mine out of 2X6's and use foam board for the top.  I think this should be almost mandatory for anyone who uses lettuce - super simple, super cheap, super great to go pick it right when you need it!  It cost about $20 to build a box that will hold 8 net cups.  It pays for itself the first time you harvest.

Here's a pic of the yellow bell pepper that I finally picked....... yep, it's February and I still have plants growing!  Yeah, Florida!  I'm trying to overwinter most of my pepper plants.  There were over 20 peppers on this plant at one point.  A storm tore up the plant and I lost some branches.  Then I cut all of them off except for one per branch because winter was coming.  I ended up with 8 good sized peppers.

A pleasant surprise was the broccoli, I had harvested all of the main heads back in December but had not pulled the plants or plucked the leaves for greens.  Well, I ended up with enough smaller shoots/heads to make a meal last night! When I say a meal I mean feeding 5 people one of which is a college soccer player so he eats like a horse!  It was equal to almost 2 big heads.  All off of six plants.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that some of the seeds aren't coming up.  My Matt's tomatoes and striped eggplant took almost a month to sprout.  I did not plant any Ghost peppers this year as I am over wintering the plant I have and, frankly, they are so hot that I only need a few a year.  One ghost, one reaper, and one trinidad scorpion, two datils are enough heat for the whole year!

The Matt's tomato is really good so I am disappointed it hasn't come up.  But I think you will really like the Datil.  I sowed mine in the same stuff I use in my buckets - 3 scoops of peat with 2 scoops of vermiculite. 

I can't use those totes for my Kratky stuff.  We get too much rain and the tops funnel it into the reservoir.  I had to build mine out of 2X6's and use foam board for the top.  I think this should be almost mandatory for anyone who uses lettuce - super simple, super cheap, super great to go pick it right when you need it!  It cost about $20 to build a box that will hold 8 net cups.  It pays for itself the first time you harvest.

Here's a pic of the yellow bell pepper that I finally picked....... yep, it's February and I still have plants growing!  Yeah, Florida!  I'm trying to overwinter most of my pepper plants.  There were over 20 peppers on this plant at one point.  A storm tore up the plant and I lost some branches.  Then I cut all of them off except for one per branch because winter was coming.  I ended up with 8 good sized peppers.

A pleasant surprise was the broccoli, I had harvested all of the main heads back in December but had not pulled the plants or plucked the leaves for greens.  Well, I ended up with enough smaller shoots/heads to make a meal last night! When I say a meal I mean feeding 5 people one of which is a college soccer player so he eats like a horse!  It was equal to almost 2 big heads.  All off of six plants.
I hear ya on the totes. I would love to see some pics.  I'll probably do a Fall and Early spring crop in the totes then use them for winter lettuce, I am making a third for a holding area for my Hydro Veggies, I'm actually a bit worried that my Maters are already a few inches high, so I may plant a second crop in 2 weeks. Everything is coming along good, Nothing from the Matts or the striped egg but...BUT, I don't want to jinx myself, I think one of the Ghost Chili's may have sprouted.

I tried this storage unit from my RV for a Kratky float and wasn't very impressed, however it was my first year.

That pepper is gorgeous.

February 18th, 2016 -  (Leeks) - How are the seeds doing?
  • Leeks, Dawn Giant   - 8 weeks [Germinating in water] (Soil) 0 days February 12th NOTHING
  • Leeks, American Flag   - 8 weeks [PLANTED IN SOIL] (Soil) 6 days February 12th NOTHING

February 19th, 2016 - 7 days (Peppers) - 13 days (Tomatoes/Eggplants) - How are the seedlings doing?

From L-R
  • California Wonder (1.5 Rows)
  • Datil Pepper (JaxRmrJmr) - Datil Pepper Relish
  • Tomato Mortgage Lifter
  • Tabasco
  • Tomato Brandy-wine
  • Anaheim Pepper - chile relleno
  • Eggplant Black Beauty
  • Eggplant Meatball

I have few more projects to complete and should be good to go, other than the actual setup and planting., I actually have a few projects outlined for next year, doing everything this year was just too much work and cost prohibitive.

One of  the projects I am working on, I am really excited about, after going back and forth with you on the self watering planters with a control, I decided to add a similar system, I will post that in a few weeks when it is set up.

Hopefully I can get my herbs going this weekend. I'm a tad late for the Parsley and Rosemary but what the heck. I have one parsley plant that I have been trying to nurse back to health all winter, but its not looking good.

Last edited:
Moving along, I got some stuff done this weekend.

Trimmed the two bradford Pear trees in the back, burnt the trimmings, split and stacked some wood for the pit, tossed our pool in the trash, finished the Asparagus Bed, Finished the vertical tower#2, Started on the pavers out front...laid directly on clay soil. Finished the NFT Rails, Got the water drums in place. Just need to install a spigot for the water reservoirs and spray paint.

February 21st, 2016 - OK the seedlings are doing well, now its time to figure out how to transplant them. I'm not worried about the soil plants but the Hydro plants got me worried, I am not sure how to hold these over until I can setup the Hydro systems, NFT, Kratky and the Deep water Culture gardens.

I tossed the question around on a few forums and someone suggested a Crowded Kratky Setup, hmmm, that sounds good, so of to HD again to pick up another totes.

This is what I came up with, the plants will be placed in the net-cups with the rockwool still intact and filled with Hydroton. The reservoir will be a diluted solution of my fertz, probably 20 percent (diluted 80%)

• Crowded Kratky Seedling Reservoir

• This will hold 24 plants, that should be plenty for my Hydro plants.

• February 21ST, 2016 -  (Day 0) Planted some Herbs
    • Basil 8 weeks  (Soil/Hydro) 0 days
    • Rosemary 8 weeks  (Soil) 0 days
    • Parsley 8 weeks (Soil) 0 days

Over the next few weeks I will be thinning the seedlings.

Seedlings

• Ghost Chili (middle) JaxRmrJmr

• Datil Pepper (L) JaxRmrJmr - Matts Wild Cherry (R) JaxRmrJmr

• Purple Stripe Eggplant (R) JaxRmrJmr

• Gerbera Daisy?

• Marigold

• Leeks, American Flag

• Extra Pepper seeds that were planted...backup lol. These (soil) seedlings are all at least a week behind the rockwool plants.

Reactions: gary s
Hey!  They finally came up!  I feel much better now.

We are going to have a little cold snap over the weekend where we might get a frost.  I'm thinking of putting my seedlings out after this cool snap. 

Oh yeah, dilute it down like you are thinking (if you are using the Masterblend).  I used a solution of 50% and almost killed my seedlings.  They are still alive but I burnt the first set or two of leaves off mine.

Hey!  They finally came up!  I feel much better now.

We are going to have a little cold snap over the weekend where we might get a frost.  I'm thinking of putting my seedlings out after this cool snap. 
Yep 100% germination on everything but the Striped Eggplant, gotta save some seeds this year.

Oh yeah, dilute it down like you are thinking (if you are using the Masterblend).  I used a solution of 50% and almost killed my seedlings.  They are still alive but I burnt the first set or two of leaves off mine.
Did that happen this year? WOW!

Double check my math...

For my Fertilizer (Nutes) I used Bobbies formula, I also added about 1/4 ounce of vinegar to drop the ph to around 6- 6.5

N    P    K
Nute Mix per 5 gallons    (20-18-38) regular nute mix

• 12 grams 15.5-0-0
  • 12 grams 4-18-38
  • 6 grams epsom salts Magnesium Sulphate
                                                                 N    P    K
Nute Mix per 10 gallon TOTE for    (20-18-38) 80% dilution

• 4.8 grams 15.5-0-0 (3.36g - for 7 gallons)
  • 4.8 grams 4-18-38 (3.36g- for 7 gallons)
  • 1.2 grams epsom salts Magnesium Sulphate (0.84g- for 7 gallons)
Basil is up, this took 48 hours, photo is 72 hours.
  • February 24th, 2016 -  (Day 3)
    • Basil 8 weeks  (Soil/Hydro) Basil is up, actual took 48 hours SPROUTED
    • Rosemary 8 weeks  (Soil) 0 days
    • Parsley 8 weeks (Soil) 0 days

Here are a couple of the Cherokee Purple tomatoes that I started.  I had mentioned that they had gotten leggy because I didn't get them under the light soon enough, but you can see the crispy leaves where the first set or two died. I may have used fertilized water on them too early, don't know.  I don't mind them getting leggy as that just allows me to plant them deeper.  The late sprouter of the bunch (on the left) looks much better and the peppers that sprouted later look fine.

Last edited:

Here are a couple of the Cherokee Purple tomatoes that I started.  I had mentioned that they had gotten leggy because I didn't get them under the light soon enough, but you can see the crispy leaves where the first set or two died. I may have used fertilized water on them too early, don't know.  I don't mind them getting leggy as that just allows me to plant them deeper.  The late sprouter of the bunch (on the left) looks much better and the peppers that sprouted later look fine.
Hey wheres the pic?

Same here. I'm not sweating leggy tomatoes they can be buried neck deep.

I'll probably thin and replant into 3" net cups and the kratky container next weekend, I want to see roots coming out of the rockwool. I just hope I didn't plant the tomatoes too early, I still have 7 weeks till my last frost!

Cool,  Only thing we ever used rock wool for was insulating smokers.  Nice plants  
icon14.gif

points1.png

Got my onions and carrots planted yesterday

Gary

February 28th, 2016 -  (Day 7)
  • Basil 8 weeks  (Soil/Hydro) Basil is up, actual took 48 hours SPROUTED
  • Rosemary 8 weeks  (Soil)
  • Parsley 8 weeks (Soil) SPROUTED
February 28th, 2016 -  (Day 8)
  • Leeks, Dawn Giant   - 8 weeks [PLANTED IN SOIL] (Soil) 8 days February 12th SPROUTED
I had time this weekend so I figured I would transplant my seedlings, some will be for soil and some will be for hydro. I may have been a bit early to transplant some of the plants, but it was much more practical to do it all at once and adjust the grow table lights accordingly. The hardest thing to do with the seedlings was determining who shall live and who shall die! I planted 2 seeds in every rockwool cube and 3 in some that I wasn't confident in germinating... well, guess what... I had a lot of thinning to do!
  • I am using a regular potting soil mix and 3" net cups for the soil plants, the Hydro Plants will go in the Kratky Container. For the tomato plants the bottom of the net pot is lined with a bit of soil and the rockwool cubes are placed as low as possible, then the soil is added right up to the cotyledon leaves. For all other plants, the net pot is filled 3/4 and then a hole is pushed through in the center with my finger, the rockwool is dropped in and topped with soil.

• This is the Kratky Container with a diluted nutrient solution, I'm guessing in the range of 80-90% Diluted, I can always add more ferts later but wanted to ease the seedlings into the nutes. The rockwool cubes are dropped directly in 2" net cups. Depending on the root structure, these will be dropped directly in the Deep Water Culture 6" net cups with some Hydroton/Grow Stones.

• This is the whole gang, the soil plants have no ferts yet, I may add a diluted nutrient solution to the water once they all have adjusted to the transplant.

• I made 13 Air Pruning Pots that I am testing out this year, I may switch over to these pots depending on how good they do. My only concern is getting the plants out of the pots once they've grown a bit. The tomato plants in the air pruning pots were placed lower than the other plants and soil will be added as they grow.

• I may have been overzealous this year with my planting strategy but since this was my first year with my indoor grow table, I planted heavy, It's not like I cant give them away but space is an issue. I just didn't expect a near 100% germination rate. I had almost every seed germinate except for the striped eggplant.

• Yep! I'm out of room!!

• February 28th, 2016
Today I installed a 2nd water tank  and in an attempt to try and blend the tanks in better I spray painted them various colors...blue just wasn't cutting it.

One tank is for the DWC system that will have a premixed nutrient solution, and the other is for my new Air pruning setup, (Hybrid Rain Gutter Grow System) [HRGGS] that will be straight water. Hopefully next year I can install a rain water collection system.

I have a lot more to do on this hill, like, redo the raised beds, prune the arborvitaes, move the firewood etc..  but I am fairly happy with the water tanks... much better than blue!

Scored 15 of the black nursery pots today.  They hold 6 1/2 gallons of soil each.  There was also about 20 of the smaller 3 gallon pots as well.  Someone had set them beside the dumpster outside of of my warehouse.  Hello rain gutter garden for the wife's herbs!

I have a big roll of black plastic that is 10' wide.  I'm thinking of building the sides out of 2X4X8 and the bottom out of OSB then lining it with the plastic.  3" net cups and we should be ready to rock and roll!

How are the seedlings coming along, Rich?

Scored 15 of the black nursery pots today.  They hold 6 1/2 gallons of soil each.  There was also about 20 of the smaller 3 gallon pots as well.  Someone had set them beside the dumpster outside of of my warehouse.  Hello rain gutter garden for the wife's herbs!

I have a big roll of black plastic that is 10' wide.  I'm thinking of building the sides out of 2X4X8 and the bottom out of OSB then lining it with the plastic.  3" net cups and we should be ready to rock and roll!

How are the seedlings coming along, Rich?
Coming up nicely, but I'm actually a bit miffed, my soil plants (extra seeds planted in 4" pots) are blowing past my Rockwool plants, the soil plants were at least a week behind in germination.

What about a solid wood instead of OSB? How are you gonna do the pots? Lined? Are you gonna use Larry Hall's mix for wicking? I'm working on a Hybrid RGGS (Same Theory as the kiddie pools). Here's what I got so far for that Air Pruning system that I mentioned in an earlier post.

These bags are nice, they have a lid for "so called" mulching.

Hopefully I can finish cleaning out the hill and get my raised bed built then tie in the two water tanks and get this guy in place. This will be fed by those tanks I just installed. I have a hose running underground that I'm gonna dig up and add a 2nd hose, one for this air pruning system and the other for the Recirculating Deep Water Culture system.

Just ordered a stationary Compost bin to get back into composting, had one years ago that I gave away and ordered this model for aesthetics.

found these interesting...

this guy just used 2x4's then lined with plastic.

I love this setup

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky