SQWIBS Macaroni and Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for fixing the thread..... I found it....   Sure looks like I need to make some Mac n Cheese now....     

OK, just put Recipe #3 on.  

Made some changes to the roux, chopped onions instead of powder, no mustard or hot sauce (yankees, no hot), chopped up some leftover smoked chicken and added it.  Also, doubled the macaroni as the roux was A LOT for only 2 cups cooked mac.

Also, using a 10x10 roaster pan to fit our little MFS.

Here's how she looked after 3 hours at 250:

Last edited:

Sqwibb, if I was to back off on the cream cheese a tad and add a little more velveeta, would that make it more cheesy/ creamier?
Tweak it whatever way you want and see.

Cream cheese and Velveeta are both Creamy, try omitting the cream cheese and see what happens.

I plan on making recipe# 3 tomorrow and was wondering what wood you would recommend. I have hickory, cherry, apple, oak, maple to choose from. Thanks.
Any wood is fine, just cover it at some point so it's not too smokey... unless that's what you want.

I like a tiny hint of smoke on the mac and cheese, but if you like that smoky goodness, try using a smoked Gouda or something similar.

Yes Thanks you SQWIB Thank You very much for sharing that recipe.  Its for sure a keeper

congratulation_graphics_2.gif

I made this last night and I was amazed how much liquid disappreared, thought it looked way too runny to start but ended up being even a little drier than I prefer.  But I think that can be corrected with tweaking some ingredient amounts.  What I'd like to ask others that have made this before, was it really smoke flavored?  I could not really discern as much smoke flavor as I had anticipated there being.  After smoking beans and getting such a rich, smokey flavor, I thought the mac & cheese would also take on a lot of smoke.  Is it because we don't stir the mac & cheese that it doesn't get much smoke?

Dave, I've made this a few times (we have loved it every time) and I think its always had ample moisture to the point where its even creamy when warmed up in the microwave later!.  As for the smoky flavor I've discovered that the top ( I will call it crust) of it has a very smoky flavor but once you get below that you tend to lose the smoky flavor.  I never thought about stirring it to try and disperse the flavor more I will have to remember to try that next time we make it.  This has always been done on my UDS uncovered on the top rack in a foil pan.  
drool.gif

I made this last night and I was amazed how much liquid disappreared, thought it looked way too runny to start but ended up being even a little drier than I prefer.  But I think that can be corrected with tweaking some ingredient amounts.  What I'd like to ask others that have made this before, was it really smoke flavored?  I could not really discern as much smoke flavor as I had anticipated there being.  After smoking beans and getting such a rich, smokey flavor, I thought the mac & cheese would also take on a lot of smoke.  Is it because we don't stir the mac & cheese that it doesn't get much smoke?
You should try it sometime as a solo, when you meat is all smokey it makes any other smoked item taste less so. The same with the wicked beans. yes they do have less smoke taste to begin with but its much more discernible when eaten without a table full of smoked meats. Another big part of it is the ability to cook supper with sides all together in the smoker.  Keep that cooking heat and yourself outside so the bride can relax a little before she has to do the dishes and clean up...... <Chuckles>

I know sometimes the stuff tastes a little smokier the second day too.  I'll have leftovers tonight so I can see if it gained any smoke overnight.

I'm going try try second attempt of this recipe this weekend and was considering melting my cheeses and milk in the smoker prior to mixing with the mac.  Anyone have any thoughts about this twist?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky