Spare ribs and rib tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Awesome, a big pile of bones, definitely a good sign!!

Yeah, sometimes 3-2-1 is too long, I wish I knew the secret to keep that from happening. Anyway, glad you found the Dinosaur and thanks for the update!
To keep it from happening, don't foil as long.   Foiling is basically steaming the ribs, which softens them.   You kind of have to experiment around.   You might keep the same overall time but instead of 3-2-1, you might go with 3.5-1.5-1, or 3-1.5-1.5, etc.  Or, you might just reduce the overall cook time and go 3-1-1, or whatever combination works for you.

Thanks! It seems like every slab is different, though. Sometimes 3-2-1 works just fine other times you get falling out bones. Is it just the size of the slab or are there other things you can look for in order to tell if it's getting over cooked?

Suie: Turned out that the wife hid some in the back of the fridge for me for a snack this afternoon. Everyone said that they really liked them, but I'm always very critical of my own cooking. So, here are my "lessons learned". I would be very happy if anyone chimes in with their opinions about this...

1) They would have looked great in a picture, but I think that they got a little too smoked. I put in four chunks of apple wood. Next time, I'll only use two.

2) Three hours did seem too long for the first stage, even though I was able to get the temps down a little. The meat was already receding from the bones. I think that next time, I'll go about 2.5 hours, and then foil them.

3) We all like our ribs sweet. I'll have to tweak my rub a little: it has a kick to it, but maybe a bit too much for ribs. I'll still foil for two hours with JJ's foiling juice, but maybe put a sweeter sauce on for the last hour (or more than an hour, since I might cut the first stage short). JJ's sauce was fantastic, but his recipe says to add some of my own rub...I think it was my rub that took the sweetness out of it.

JJ: If you see this, I'd be interested in what you prefer the most. You list:

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

I used Karo Dark Corn Syrup. Like I said, I think my rub countered the sweetness of the molasses and syrup in the foiling juice. I doubled up on the quantities since I had two racks, but I had a lot left over. Should I have put all of it in there? Seemed like a lot!

I might try doing ribs again next weekend and see if I can make a good thing better!

Bob: how nice of your wife to save you some leftovers! I had some for lunch today too, and froze the rest.

I too am critical of my own cooking! Last night what I ended-up doing was 2.5 - 1.5 and 45 min. My problem this time was without the full 3 hours on the first stage, there was still some liquid left in the meat, so my glaze didn't stick the ribs. Instead it ended up in a pool at the bottom of the foil.

So I was going to try just reducing he foil time and doing 3 - 1.5 - 1 next time. (thanks Demos for helping me decide this) And I do want to try the foiling juice too.

Next week I'm hosting a baby shower for a friend so will be doing pulled pork. (much easier for a crowd) But will definitely try again in a few weeks too. I'll be interested to hear how your tweaks go. (and hearing any other advice)

Bob, I like the Cane Syrup, then Honey and Dark Corn least. But Cane Syrup is hard to find locally and Honey can be pricey so I use Dark Corn, specifically King's Syrup most often. I does seem like a lot but the key is to reduce it down to the consistency of Maple Syrup then it is not too much. You can see it is thick and sticks well. I leave it thin when I use the Foiling Juice as a Finishing Sauce. A double batch is just right for a 8-10Lb Butt. If you and yours like Sweet...This is the Best Sauce I make. You may like the Rub too as I design all three recipes to work together. The final product is very well balanced between Sweet,Tangy and a touch of Heat...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup

1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)

1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2C Molasses

2C Dark Brn Sugar

1T Tomato Paste

1T Mild Rub

1-2tsp Liquid Smoke

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.

Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

Reactions: manchester bob
Thanks! It seems like every slab is different, though. Sometimes 3-2-1 works just fine other times you get falling out bones. Is it just the size of the slab or are there other things you can look for in order to tell if it's getting over cooked?
Suie,

Could be size difference, or difference in chamber temps between one smoke or another, or even different temps within the chamber on the same smoke.  Or maybe some were colder / warmer when you put them in the smoker.  I mean, if you have two exactly identical racks and you take one out and put it right into the smoker while they other comes to room temp before going in the smoker; they will have different cook times. 

There's any number of things that can affect how the smoke/cook will go, it's why I look at 3-2-1, 2-2-1 or any other kind of "schedule" as a guideline instead of a hard and fast rule. 

Suie,

Could be size difference, or difference in chamber temps between one smoke or another, or even different temps within the chamber on the same smoke.  Or maybe some were colder / warmer when you put them in the smoker.  I mean, if you have two exactly identical racks and you take one out and put it right into the smoker while they other comes to room temp before going in the smoker; they will have different cook times. 

There's any number of things that can affect how the smoke/cook will go, it's why I look at 3-2-1, 2-2-1 or any other kind of "schedule" as a guideline instead of a hard and fast rule. 
Ah, excellent point. Thanks!

JJ: Thanks for the info! Your rub is pretty similar to what I used, but the ratios are different. I have everything you list on hand (except the Sweet Hungarian), but the recipe I found used sea salt instead of kosher, and brown sugar instead of Turbinado. It did not use Allspice, nor Chili powder, but it did add dry mustard and celery seed.

Quite a while ago, I bought a big container of paprika...doesn't say Sweet Hungarian. I just looked on-line, and there apparently is a difference. I'll have to save this for deviled eggs, and get some Sweet Hungarian paprika for smoking.

As for the foilinig juice, I thought that I might have had it on the stove too long, but it didn't reduce that much. It did thicken up as it cooled, but it seemed to separate as well, with the syrup on the bottom.

By the way, your ribs look great!

Suie: I'll have to think about this weekend. I'm torn between my fairly new interest in smoking, and my long, long, long-time interest in fishing (I live near a freshwater reservoir). I get up very early on the weekday mornings, so Sundays are not the best days to do either. So...if the weather is good, I might take Friday off and do both! I can also combine them one of these weekends, and smoke the fish I catch. That'll be interesting!

Suie/JJ:

If you're still keeping an eye on this thread, I did go fishing Saturday (not the best fishing day, but great father/son time), and also did ribs again today (Sunday). I used JJ's rub recipe this time almost as posted. I still couldn't find Hungarian paprika, so I got some sweet smoked (used only 1 T instead of 2) Also, used just Cumin instead of Chili powder. Used JJ's foiling juice as well.

It's almost done, but an end fell off, so of course, I had to take a taste test.

It turned out fantastic!  I'm really, really happy with this. Thanks again, JJ!

Thanks for the update Bob. Fishing and smoking in the same day, sounds like a perfect Sunday! 

I did a reverse sear steak this weekend which I posted in that forum, and was really happy with that. Next time I do ribs, though, I'm trying JJ's recipes!!

Did you make any adjustments to the amount of smoke you used? 

Suie

Suie/JJ:

If you're still keeping an eye on this thread, I did go fishing Saturday (not the best fishing day, but great father/son time), and also did ribs again today (Sunday). I used JJ's rub recipe this time almost as posted. I still couldn't find Hungarian paprika, so I got some sweet smoked (used only 1 T instead of 2) Also, used just Cumin instead of Chili powder. Used JJ's foiling juice as well.

It's almost done, but an end fell off, so of course, I had to take a taste test.

It turned out fantastic!  I'm really, really happy with this. Thanks again, JJ!
Sounds like a great day. I glad you enjoyed the Recipes. Anything else you need just send a PM...JJ

JJ: I'll definitely keep the PM in mind! Thanks again.

Suie: The fishing was Saturday, and the smoking was Sunday. Unfortunately, there's not enough time to do both the same day: I fish at a water supply reservoir, and I have to trailer my boat back and forth, so we stay out on the water for a long time to make it worth the effort. But...it's beautiful out there, even if you don't catch any fish!

As for changing the smoke, I only put in two fist-sized chunks of apple wood, and one little piece for good measure. It still had plenty of smoke flavor, and a great smoke ring. Also, the temps were hanging right around 225 (where I wanted), instead of the 240+  that I had last week. On to something else this weekend, if the weather decides to cooperate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky