Spare ribs and rib tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No I don't mind Bob, and I agree it's the perfect day for ribs!

I'm heading into stage 2 - foil and glaze. This glaze I got from Johnny Trigg watching BBQ Pitmasters. Squeeze Parkay, brown sugar and honey.

Here are the ribs after a little more than 2.5 hours. I'm a little ahead of schedule with my pit running high, but they look good so far:

Here's the glaze ingredients sprinkled on the first layer. Afterwards I take my insulated gloves and rub it in a bit.

Here is the ribs, stacked with the brisket bone, fully glazed for wrapping and into the smoker.

I know this may seem like it would be overly sweet, but with a spicy rub and sauce it really goes nicely.

I hope y'all enjoy it. My kids like to add the Ketchup, Mustard and Vinegar to the reduced Foiling Juice. Friends of ours like the Apple/Molasses Flavor to come through and just reduce it as is...JJ

After reading your post, JJ, I just remembered: I have a large container of mustard...meant to slather it on the ribs before putting on the rub, and I'm now realizing that I forgot to do that! Hope it doesn't matter too much. Oops!

Oh, well...still learning.

Suie,

I'm doing spare ribs today too! I'm at home in Virginia but will be in central NY by Tuesday (Rome). I've been taking pictures and will post but, I need to go out. Its foil time for 3-2-1.

Scott

Hmmm...must be contageous! Several of us cooking ribs today. Did y'all know that today (Apr. 27th) is National Prime Rib Day?

Well, we may not be cooking prime rib, but here's to hoping that all of our ribs turn out great! 
Beer.gif

After reading your post, JJ, I just remembered: I have a large container of mustard...meant to slather it on the ribs before putting on the rub, and I'm now realizing that I forgot to do that! Hope it doesn't matter too much. Oops!

Oh, well...still learning.
No, they will be fine. The Mustard has some Vinegar and Mustard oil that all helps the meat absorb the Spice flavor but the effect is small. One of those Nice to have not Need to have things...JJ

Hi Scott! LOL that's funny that it's prime rib day!

Okay, time to finish this off. Ribs out of the foil, sauced and back in the smoker:

Ready to cut up the rib tips

Rib tips, sauced and on the grill:

I served these with some potatoes, and grilled broccoli:

Side view of ribs:

I was really happy with these, they were moist and flavorful. I shortened the 3-2-1 because of a slightly higher pit temp, and because I was hungry. So they weren't falling off the bone, but still tender. Hope everyone else had good luck with their ribs!

Suie

Reactions: rstr hunter
Nice Job Suie. Now to see how Bob made out...JJ

Probably too busy licking Q Sauce off his fingers to type...
biggrin.gif
...JJ

You said a mouthful Red! Nice ribs!
Thank you Todd!
Suie,

I'm doing spare ribs today too! I'm at home in Virginia but will be in central NY by Tuesday (Rome). I've been taking pictures and will post but, I need to go out. Its foil time for 3-2-1.

Scott
Scott - how did your ribs turn out? Also, have you ever visited the Dinosaur BBQ when you're up here? It's been awhile since I visited but I remember them having some very nice que! Cool atmosphere too.

Suie

Last edited:
Thanks for asking...we made out great! My wife and kids were out pretty late yesterday. Not being too greedy, I ate about a third of one rack, left the rest in the kitchen for them, and went to my neighbor's house. Came back finding a big pile of bones, and nothing more!

I bought the ribs pre-cut St. Louis style. I think that the next time, I'll buy the untrimmed ribs and trim them myself...try some of them "pork burnt ends"!

Suie,

They turned out good but one rack was almost too tender and the bones started falling out. I'll post later today but yes, almost everytime I fly in or out of Syracuse, I make time Dinosaur BBQ there. Its a great place and the food (and beer) are awesome!

Thanks,

Scott

I have a rack of loin backs on the smoker now, but the rib tip idea makes me wish I'd done spares.  Guarantee if I'd have read this 4 hours ago I would have.   Great idea and good q-view.

Thanks for asking...we made out great! My wife and kids were out pretty late yesterday. Not being too greedy, I ate about a third of one rack, left the rest in the kitchen for them, and went to my neighbor's house. Came back finding a big pile of bones, and nothing more!

I bought the ribs pre-cut St. Louis style. I think that the next time, I'll buy the untrimmed ribs and trim them myself...try some of them "pork burnt ends"!
Awesome, a big pile of bones, definitely a good sign!!
Suie,

They turned out good but one rack was almost too tender and the bones started falling out. I'll post later today but yes, almost everytime I fly in or out of Syracuse, I make time Dinosaur BBQ there. Its a great place and the food (and beer) are awesome!

Thanks,

Scott

Yeah, sometimes 3-2-1 is too long, I wish I knew the secret to keep that from happening. Anyway, glad you found the Dinosaur and thanks for the update!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky