Spare Rib Trimmings Turned into Pasta/Pizza Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tander28

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Kansas
Spare ribs have been one of the few meat items that has been both available and well priced during this pandemic, so I've bought quite a few racks. I'm typically left with a pound of meat in trimmings from these racks--which surprises me every time. I've done a few different things with them, but this was my favorite so far.

I combined the spare rib trimmings from a couple racks with some brisket fat I had frozen. Ground it all together and turned it over to my wife to make a bolognese style style. She served it once over homemade pasta, which was just incredible (see below). Then, we used the sauce for a Detroit-style pizza with pepperoni. Our recipe is loosely based on this one from Food Network's Jeff Mauro, but we cut the dough recipe in half and use sliced provolone layered to the edge instead of cubes.

Both the pasta and the pizza were to die for--my wife makes awesome sauce. It was a fun and different way to use trimming meat that doesn't really hold up to smoking.

Pasta
IMG_0216.JPG

Detroit-style pizza
IMG_0217.JPG

Bonus - Detroit-style pizza #2 with local Italian sausage. You can really see how the edges get all crispy with cheese when it is out of the pan.
IMG_1165.JPG

That all looks absolutely fantastic, big Like! I love making fresh pasta from semolina flour, gives a flavor you just can't find anywhere else. Now I'm hungry! RAY

Those pizzas are on point man! Wow! My homemade pizzas never look that good. BIG LIKE!
Thank you! I'm no pizza savant, the recipe is really that easy and turns out great every time. It's just the two of us, and I don't have a Detroit style pizza pan, so we just make a half batch of dough and use a 9 inch cake pan. Works like a charm! The key is the provolone around the edge for that crispy, cheesy crust.
That all looks absolutely fantastic, big Like! I love making fresh pasta from semolina flour, gives a flavor you just can't find anywhere else. Now I'm hungry! RAY
Agreed! It's a special occasion thing for us, wish we did it more. Thanks for the kind words!
Wow that looks fantastic and that sauce sounds amazing!!
Thank you! Mostly good canned tomatoes, meat and red wine.
I love me some Detroit style pizza. Yum
It's fantastic stuff--a great compromise between NY and Chicago that can be better than both sometimes!

I am drooling on the screen. Pizza looks perfect!
Thanks, Brian! It's so easy you have to give it a try
Man that's really beautiful pizza. I can almost taste it
Whip one up, you won't regret it!
Great work . That all looks fantastic .
Thanks, Chopsaw!
Fine Looking Pizza, Tander!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear
Thank you, Bear! I really appreciate the kind words

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky